Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 05:30 AM   #1456
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
jeez Ted, give the poor girl a break, can't you see she's hard at work designing her new tattoo?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #1457
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
We call them "bum bags" over here. Bum being what the `Mercans know as fanny. Fanny over here is.......too rude.
Bum bags / fanny packs have a bad reputation here. Lots of pics of these being abused by big-haired mums in the 1980's being prepared for any situation whilst out on holiday with their kids. Camera, tissues, wet-wipes, car keys, money, spare underpants, first aid kit, frommer's guide... all stuffed into the pockets of the hot-pink fanny pack.

I think they were so embarrassing then that dirt riders who grew up in the US at that time are ashamed to wear them.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #1458
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,096
Ah, you need a Kriega R3 to redress the balance, and reclaim the fanny pack as your own!

http://www.kriega.com/products/R3.html

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #1459
dakardood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Yes, and ironically I am using the same Ebay to replace the missing tools - I have a few £££s left in the kitty, and am going through the list... a local tool shop also has a sale on on 1/4" stuff, so hopefully in a few days I'll have replaced everything...

I like tools, tools are cool.

Jx

ASO need to look into this pilfering s**t. Thats a serious chink in the Dakar kudos armour. Sabine will be turning in his grave. Thieving tw*ts. Talk about stuff going against the grain. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
dakardood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #1460
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakardood View Post
ASO need to look into this pilfering s**t. Thats a serious chink in the Dakar kudos armour. Sabine will be turning in his grave. Thieving tw*ts. Talk about stuff going against the grain. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
To be fair on ASO, I don't think there is much they can do about it... once the bike/s are in the Camion Balai (and the compound at the docks) then they are pretty secure... but it's quite possible that either my tools were taken while the bike was left out on the stage before it was picked up, or more likely, once it was loaded on to the ship and at sea for 3 weeks...

Similar thing happened to some friends of mine on their way back from Dakar after Heroes-Legend in 2009 - all their gear was locked in the back of their 4x4, but of course you have to leave the keys to get the vehicle on and off the ship, and once at sea, some scrotes opened the car and helped themselves to anything they fancied...

Proving it is the difficult part.

As for my bike, it wouldn't have happened if I'd finished of course - as I could have taken everything off the bike before it was taken to the docks - but neither my team or I saw it again once the organisation picked it up...

Still damn annoying though!

Jx
Old 03-06-2011, 04:03 AM   #1461
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,881
Yep, I agree; thieves ought to have something stolen from them, like maybe their fingers, and adding in their eyesight wouldn't be too harsh in my opinion. Then again, I admit to somewhat Draconian ideas regarding scum. For example I think the entire genealogical line of baby-rapers should be wiped out, all at once, in a mass spectacle with compulsory attendance by everyone over the age of, let's say, three. Too harsh, d'ya think?

I'll tell you what's worse than a thief, though: A liar who spreads dirt steals your time instead of your stuff. I was at a "friend's" place once and he, stoned outta his mind, started playing around with a .38 loaded with subsonic rounds (only he knew it was loaded, or maybe he forgot) and accidentally shot his SO's beautiful Chow dog in the head. I rode with him ~60 miles to bury the dog on the family place (actually his brother did the actual burying), paid for his gas 'cause he was broke, loaded up the bloody carpet in my truck to get rid of it for him, and left after he (with his SO present) sold the revolver to a guy who did the Flea Market thing.

The next time I returned to the town friends wouldn't talk to me. One finally told me it was because I'd killed the dog. Fortunately, there'd been another guy riding with me who was there for the whole thing (I guess the asshat had been to effed-up to remember that when he spread his lie) and it only took one phone call to straighten out the question of who the liar was. I'm not sure but I think ol' forked-tongue lost a job or two because of that little stunt, but that wasn't nearly enough.

But on a slightly more pleasant note:

Jen, have you considered Cruz Tools for your kit? They make/gather some pretty nice stuff specifically for particular bikes/marques, aren't terribly expensive, and have a lifetime warranty. I have a Cruz Tool Roll for K-Bikes and if you'd like a pic it wouldn't be any trouble. I just noticed a little flyer thingie in the box that says, among other stuff, "Used your threadlocker or WD-40? Drop us a line and we'll send a replacement free of charge." I thought that was cool!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 AM   #1462
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Lots of people haave 'lost' stuff too on the boat from Le Havre to BA.

Heard stories of things that have been nicked from cars and support trucks that had been well hidden on the vehicles, things like iPod docs etc...
Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #1463
dakardood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
To be fair on ASO, I don't think there is much they can do about it...
Yeah, shouldn't really have a go at ASO in all fairness. I guess they employ "locals" along the way and to keep the whole thing under control would be damn tricky?

Quote:
As for my bike, it wouldn't have happened if I'd finished of course - as I could have taken everything off the bike before it was taken to the docks - but neither my team or I saw it again once the organisation picked it up...
Not to worry Jen, you can keep that in mind when you do Dakar 2012

<< Not hinting or anything, thought I'd just put a subtle reminder so you can get your Dakar 2012 app. form in on time
dakardood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #1464
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Awesome Rally Tenere FOR SALE - again...

Yes, it's true...

Unfortunately, it looks like my leg is going to take a lot longer to heal than I had hoped, and I may well need another operation to re-set the leg in an effort to get it to fuse properly - I’ll know more in a couple of weeks.

Either way, it seems my recovery is going to continue for some while - and as you might imagine, this not only potentially hampers my plans for a return to the Dakar next January, but more immediately, means I really need to buy an automatic car to get around over the next few months.

Therefore it is with great pains (mainly in my lower left leg) that I have decided to sell the Rally Tenere to help cover the cost of replacing my car with an automatic.

Most of you will be familiar with it, but to recap, the full spec is below -

August 2008 model Yamaha XT660Z Tenere with the following modifications/rally preparation (all new parts in September 2009):

Suspension, steering and wheels:

• WP 48mm forks (valved specifically for the Tenere) - 260mm travel (+60mm over stock).

• OTR billet machined triple clamps.

• GPR V2 steering damper and fatbar-riser kit.

• Renthal RC High bend Fat-bars.

• Talon ‘Rally spec’ front wheel 21x1.60 Excel rim (gold), Talon hub (black anodised) and Braking Wave 270mm floating disc.

• Goodrich braded front brake hose and Brembo master cylinder.

• KTM Adventure low front fender on Meca’system mounting bracket.

• custom valved Ohlins rear shock and +35mm linkage bones.

• Talon ‘Rally spec’ rear wheel 18x2.50 Excel rim (gold), Talon cush-drive rear hub (black anodised) and Braking wave 240mm rear disc.

Engine and performance:

• custom SR Racing Ti exhaust (no cat), with removable baffle.

• DNA stage 2 air filter and airbox lid.

• AIS and O2 sensor removal.

• PowerCommander V with custom map (set up on rolling road at PDQ in Taplow).

• custom heavy-duty aluminium radiator (40mm thick) and stainless stone guard by GMX.

Body and chassis:

• Bodywork proffessionally re-painted in Yamaha dark blue, with light blue fairing panels (all plastic panels sanded smooth and prepared, front indicator mounts removed).

• Screen also re-painted Yamaha dark blue and fitted with Dzus QR button-head fasteners for access.

• Front indicators repositioned to side-light position in headlight unit.

• Foam grips and KTM plastic handguards.

Note. bike can be supplied with custom aluminium bracket to re-position instruments on bar clamps, and a nav bracket to mount Touratech roadbook (and IMO) in cockpit area should you wish to rally the bike again.

• custom re-shaped and recovered seat with Alcantara cover (with embroidered Heroes-Legend logo - kewl).

• OTR aluminium bashplate (polished).

• IMS ‘Super-stock’ footpegs.

• modified rear brake pedal and ‘brake snake’.

• extended side-stand (as bike is now approximately 60mm higher front and rear with new forks and 18” rear wheel/shock linkage), and larger foot welded on.

• compact DRC LED rear brake/tail light unit.

Extras:

• Bike will be supplied with either Brand New Continental TKC80 tyres and UHD tubes, or Michelin Deserts, as preferred.

•There is also a modest spare parts kit, including spare DNA filters, levers, cables etc.

• The original Heroes-Legend side panels (with graphics/race numbers still attached) will also be included should you wish to refit them.

Were that juicy specification not enough (over £4500 worth of parts and modifications), then most of you will also be aware that I originally rode this bike across the USA and back again (October 2008-March 2009), then brought it back to the UK and fully rebuilt and prepared it for the Heroes-Legend Paris to Dakar rally in October 2009 - where it finished 7th overall in the bike category.

Should such things matter, not only was this the first Tenere to be ridden in, and across the USA, but it is also the first Tenere to be raced from Paris to Dakar. It was also the first bike to have undergone such comprehensive modifications, many of which were proven during the Heroes-Legend rally.

The bike has covered a little over 33,000 miles now and on return from Heroes’, it has once again been serviced and refurbished/repainted, and really is in excellent condition. It was dealer serviced throughout the warranty period, included the requisite valve checks at 12,000 and 24,000 miles.

Suffice to say not only is it an exceptionally well-prepared machine, it is also unique in many ways, not least it’s colourful and varied history.

I am looking for £7000 on the nose (or near offer) with the spares and new tyres - hell, if Touratech can get over seven grand for Sean’s old ‘bitsa’ bike, then this is certainly worth that and a lot more!

Bare in mind the RRP on a bog-stock 660Z is now £6599, and this bike has been professionally built and serviced, with over £4500 worth of upgraded parts.

Serious enquires only, please PM me. Note. I am happy to crate the bike and deliver it to an air/sea port for overseas shipping, as long as the buyer makes the necessary shipping arrangements. I can recommend James Cargo or Motorcycle Express for example.

Many thanks,

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 12:12 AM
Old 03-10-2011, 02:23 AM   #1465
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo
Therefore it is with great pains (mainly in my lower left leg) that I have decided to sell the Rally Tenere to help cover the cost of replacing my car with an automatic.
oh no...

that's a real shame that you are having to sell your tenere jenny... unfortunately my financial planning took a hit last night when i didn't win the lottery rollover... so while i would love your bike i will have to sit this one out
Old 03-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #1466
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Oddometer: 246
Jen I sold my HP2 money just arrived in my account ....know the feeling. It is like selling my paintbrush or pen if I was a writer. The bike took me past 3 deserts and 5 national parks in 2 days....

I can hear her purring down the open gravel roads and starting in the morning when it is cold. I think it is worst when a bike was SUPER reliable as you know you are selling a legend.
I need a Safari rear tank for my 2013 Wr450 if anybody has one.
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #1467
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Yes... exactly.

I'd love an HP2 too - rode one (of the BMW off road school's bikes) on a reccy of some green-lanes/trails with Si Pavey a couple of years ago, and was impressed how good it was - it felt like a street bike on road (with some serious grunt), then you could just head off onto the dirt - awesome!

The cylinder heads were a bit of a liability on the tight and deeply rutted Welsh trails, but otherwise it was fantastic - as a desert bike it would be perfect!

Ah well, needs must I guess... good luck with your prep.

Jx
Old 03-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #1468
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Aw, Jeez, Jen, that's terrible news! I feel so, so badly for you.

I'm presently at Daytona Half-A-Bike-Week, not having arrived at the campground 'til 0503 Wednesday after picking up my "new" trailer at ~0400. All's going typically: catalytic converter replacement on the truck and new battery on the Street Rod so far. What next?!! Oh, yeah, rain set in ~2015 Wed. night, while I was in the middle of the battery replacement (NOT a 15 minute job on a VRSCR!) and continued 'til ~ 0930 yesterday. The knobbies on the KTM would not be my 1st choice of rubber for rain slick streets but slowly, smoothly and vertically worked well enough; the lack of traffic due to the rain didn't hurt either. Asked my campground neighbooger to snap a couple of pics while I was replacing the battery, and thought you might enjoy seeing how you & Piglet do get around. :

Best!
garf
(My KTM cap now has Willie G. Davidson's siggy on the underside of the bill, btw. The rain limited turnout of V-Rod riders, and I was on the 640Adv, but it looked like half Milwaukee was there, and they were listening. The boots and socks on the trailer were drying out, and there were several other items in that situation, too.)

Attached Images

Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #1469
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Magic stuff Garfey! I was at Daytona in 2009 (on the Tenere) - quite an experience!

Lovin' the V-Rod, and great to see a JMoR shirt so many miles away! (your other one will be in the post today btw.) - and I promise I won't make any comment about all those Harley riders trailering their bikes in... x

Jx
Old 03-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #1470
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Wicked Yabbut ...

... I hope to be cut some slack on the grounds that I bought the trailer there (well, 'bout 50mi away, @~0400 Wednesday morning, and, more primally, despite over 50yrs of putting about, I still haven't figgered out how to ride two bikes at once. :

Having the "extra" bike turned out to be fortuitous as the deluge put a quick end to new battery installation on the 'Rod Wednesday evening and 'twas still coming down right smart Thursday morning, so KTM To The Rescue! Upon meeting Willie G. at the V-Rod get-together Thursday morning (0800, an undoGly hour during a rally!), his first comment was,"Hey, you're a RiffRaff!" (I was wearing my "Jonah Inferno" under the foulies and over the Team F5 tee), and my KTM cap now has a "Willie G" siggy underneath the bill.

Stopped off to visit a cousin on the way home and thought to steal this for you, but I then hefted it and as it weighs about as much as rock that size (a heavy rock, not a light one, mind) I figured shipping it would prob'ly break me.

(Still, if you really wanted it, I suppose I could ease on back over there - it's only about 450 miles! - on pretense of loaning him my "new" SuperHawk (he did talk at some length about getting another bike now that his daughter is in college (and, from the sound of it, well on the way to becoming A Professional Student) and, even though he strongly favors those I4's redlined somewhere up in the stratosphere (useta race 'em), he prob'ly wouldn't kick a trick SHawk outta bed), and ..... )

:
Attached Images