User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #1471
DorsetBlue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
First post.

Truly inspiring stuff Jenny - read your whole thread through. Hope you heal up well and soon.

My only real contact with the Dakar before had been 'Race to Dakar', which after starting reading your exploits - watched again earlier this week.

Problem is, you might have another off-road convert on your Conscience now here too.

Will have to have a word with my brother about hitting Salisbury Plain sometime soon.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:31 AM   #1472
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,336
So ...

... it was sorta like Christmas in March here, again, yesterday. After running into town to buy a new batt'ry for the Mow-de-Lawn (that's Cajun talk, btw, from down 'Chafalaya Basin way where folk call anybody from Nort' of Baton Rouge a Yankee ) and arrange for painting of some bits for the K100RS (couldn't bear to drill holes in that pristine tailcone to mount the luggage rack that's been sitting in the MaxBMW box in the Dining Room since December, so searched the web 'til I found another, off an '87 LT, in great condition and with holes already drilled (they look to have been factory, judging by the unbroken paint in them), but the wrong color, and finding a suitable match for BMW "Perlsilber," paint code 678 (which BMW won't ship, btw) among the GM pigments (Cadillac Escalade, we think), I returned home and puttered about, gathering together things I'll need for working the Roxton Rallye de Paris tomorrow (heading Nort' ~0500, 162.91 miles per Google Maps, to Paris, Texas, (pray for No Rain, Please!) and there was a knock on the door. When I got there my FedEx lady was already getting back in her truck and a big ol' box was sitting on the stoop (my Gobi Top Box & Rack, Thanks, EdGear!! ). I returned to the Communications Centre to do some internettin' with my Sensei for the Rallye and others, on various and sundry topics, and when I went back out more boxes had appeared, UPS making a much later than usual delivery. My front porch looked like this:
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #1473
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Question But...

... what could be in that big white envelope right up front there? Yeah, that one, the one with the Royal Mail stamp and CN22 Customs Form on it! Could it be ..... ? YAYUS!! It Is!!! It's the pkg from our JMo (and Piglet, I presume)!!!

So, just before dark and so really too late to get any good pics, I lined up the "runners" in my stable, yanked the cork on a tasty little Gewurtztraminer, donned my new DNF AFU shirt and dirtyDogs
(those "spots" in the pic are tree pollen, btw, not holes in my own personal little ozone layer)

Hope all goes well with the do-over, Jen. I know the thought of having to go through that again is crushing but better to do it now and get it right than to be all gimped up for the rest of your life, My thoughts are with you always!

I'll be headed North on the K-RS just about this time tomorrow. I'm hoping for a bit warmer temps than the 47degF we have right now, and the forecast is for a 56degF low and a high near 80 - with NO RAIN - and warmer temps yet, Saturday, and only a 30% chance of rain for the Rallye . And if it's as perfectly clear as now the run with that half-moon hanging over my left shoulder will be foine, foine indeed! I'll try to get a pic or two, wearing the AFU shirt, of course, under "The 2nd Tallest Eiffel Tower In The World!"

There's not much better in this world than sipping another Sunrise from the saddle of a fine 'chine, rollin' on Texas Two-Lanes! Dayum! Life is SWEET!!!

Thanks heaps for the schwag, Jen! I think I'm gonna put one of the smaller JMo Racing stickers right on the RS's windshield, just above the headlight. The big 'uns are going on the Katoom & 'Berg (hopefully soon to be sportin' a LC4 mill (Thread started in "Thumpers" but no progress yet as there's just too much riding to do and too many fine bikes to ignore them for long!) - if 40hp in a 240lb bike is good, 60-odd hp in a ~260lb dirt scratcher oughtta be at least a time-and-a half better!
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #1474
Sportakus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
August 2008 model Yamaha XT660Z Tenere with the following modifications/rally preparation (all new parts in September 2009):

Suspension, steering and wheels:

• WP 48mm forks (valved specifically for the Tenere) - 260mm travel (+60mm over stock).

• OTR billet machined triple clamps.

• GPR V2 steering damper and fatbar-riser kit.

• Renthal RC High bend Fat-bars.

• Talon ‘Rally spec’ front wheel 21x1.60 Excel rim (gold), Talon hub (black anodised) and Braking Wave 270mm floating disc.

• Goodrich braded front brake hose and Brembo master cylinder.

• KTM Adventure low front fender on Meca’system mounting bracket.

• custom valved Ohlins rear shock and +35mm linkage bones.

• Talon ‘Rally spec’ rear wheel 18x2.50 Excel rim (gold), Talon cush-drive rear hub (black anodised) and Braking wave 240mm rear disc.

Engine and performance:

• custom SR Racing Ti exhaust (no cat), with removable baffle.

• DNA stage 2 air filter and airbox lid.

• AIS and O2 sensor removal.

• PowerCommander V with custom map (set up on rolling road at PDQ in Taplow).

• custom heavy-duty aluminium radiator (40mm thick) and stainless stone guard by GMX.

Body and chassis:

• Bodywork proffessionally re-painted in Yamaha dark blue, with light blue fairing panels (all plastic panels sanded smooth and prepared, front indicator mounts removed).

• Screen also re-painted Yamaha dark blue and fitted with Dzus QR button-head fasteners for access.

• Front indicators repositioned to side-light position in headlight unit.

• Foam grips and KTM plastic handguards.

Note. bike can be supplied with custom aluminium bracket to re-position instruments on bar clamps, and a nav bracket to mount Touratech roadbook (and IMO) in cockpit area should you wish to rally the bike again.

• custom re-shaped and recovered seat with Alcantara cover (with embroidered Heroes-Legend logo - kewl).

• OTR aluminium bashplate (polished).

• IMS ‘Super-stock’ footpegs.

• modified rear brake pedal and ‘brake snake’.

• extended side-stand (as bike is now approximately 60mm higher front and rear with new forks and 18” rear wheel/shock linkage), and larger foot welded on.

• compact DRC LED rear brake/tail light unit.

Extras:

• Bike will be supplied with either Brand New Continental TKC80 tyres and UHD tubes, or Michelin Deserts, as preferred.

•There is also a modest spare parts kit, including spare DNA filters, levers, cables etc.

• The original Heroes-Legend side panels (with graphics/race numbers still attached) will also be included should you wish to refit them.

Were that juicy specification not enough (over £4500 worth of parts and modifications), then most of you will also be aware that I originally rode this bike across the USA and back again (October 2008-March 2009), then brought it back to the UK and fully rebuilt and prepared it for the Heroes-Legend Paris to Dakar rally in October 2009 - where it finished 7th overall in the bike category.

Should such things matter, not only was this the first Tenere to be ridden in, and across the USA, but it is also the first Tenere to be raced from Paris to Dakar. It was also the first bike to have undergone such comprehensive modifications, many of which were proven during the Heroes-Legend rally.

The bike has covered a little over 33,000 miles now and on return from Heroes’, it has once again been serviced and refurbished/repainted, and really is in excellent condition. It was dealer serviced throughout the warranty period, included the requisite valve checks at 12,000 and 24,000 miles.

Suffice to say not only is it an exceptionally well-prepared machine, it is also unique in many ways, not least it’s colourful and varied history.

I am looking for £7000 on the nose (or near offer) with the spares and new tyres - hell, if Touratech can get over seven grand for Sean’s old ‘bitsa’ bike, then this is certainly worth that and a lot more!

Bare in mind the RRP on a bog-stock 660Z is now £6599, and this bike has been professionally built and serviced, with over £4500 worth of upgraded parts.

Serious enquires only, please PM me. Note. I am happy to crate the bike and deliver it to an air/sea port for overseas shipping, as long as the buyer makes the necessary shipping arrangements. I can recommend James Cargo or Motorcycle Express for example.

Many thanks,

Jx

I love your machine...

YAMAHA XT660Z Ténéré 2008
KTM 690 Enduro R 2014
Sportakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #1475
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,428
Thanks Sportakus - so do I, but realistically it has to go... so too my brand new WR450F 'spares' bike is going to be reassembled and up for sale, pains me as it does...

Still, my intention is to get properly fit again and have a crack at 2012 - one bike, one engine, in the hands of fate.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #1476
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,428
Leg update: just got back from the hospital and another x-ray... bone is finally knitting together now, and doctor is pleased with the progress... still got another month or so taking it easy before I can put full weight on it though :o(

So, going to see the Bone Doctor Brian Simpson tomorrow so he can work some of his voodoo on it!

I need to get back on a bike!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #1477
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Thumb So ...

... no do-over! Wonderful news, that!

As a guess, a bit of infection keeping it from growing back together?

Back to piling up stuff, ahh, carefully selecting necessities for the Paris Rallye.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #1478
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
So after some Simpson magick, you'll be on the bike next week by all accounts
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #1479
yety61
Global Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Thanks Sportakus - so do I, but realistically it has to go... so too my brand new WR450F 'spares' bike is going to be reassembled and up for sale, pains me as it does...

Still, my intention is to get properly fit again and have a crack at 2012 - one bike, one engine, in the hands of fate.

Jx
Quote:
Leg update: just got back from the hospital and another x-ray... bone is finally knitting together now, and doctor is pleased with the progress... still got another month or so taking it easy before I can put full weight on it though :o(

So, going to see the Bone Doctor Brian Simpson tomorrow so he can work some of his voodoo on it!

Jx

Awesome news on all accounts Jenny, glad to see you're still bitten by the bug.
yety61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #1480
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Oddometer: 247
Brilliant Jenny.

Hope it heals well soon.

So we can hopefully maat at Dakar 2012.Unless I don't get a entry
I need a Safari rear tank for my 2013 Wr450 if anybody has one.
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:15 AM   #1481
roadchick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:

Jx
Great news Jenny!! Hope the month goes by quickly!!
roadchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #1482
Hillbilly501
Ultra n00b

Oddometer: 165
Quote:

Jx
One bike, one engine, doin it properly then eh? Excellent. Will be good to see. Hope it goes well!
Hillbilly501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 AM   #1483
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:

Jx
Still going to be using Desert Rose support? Or, are you going marathon class next time?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #1484
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,958
Great news to hear you intend to take another kick at it

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #1485
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
An epic case of the Dakar Bug. "There I was, with my broken leg, planning the next one". That's a serious case of good attitude.
Nice concept you got there, Jenny!
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 08:55 AM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote