User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
FishHunt OP
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,339
Gone Coastal For My 39th B-day

Went for an overnight ride for my 39th birthday. Left out from home 8-29-30 on my new to me 2000 ZR-7. Packed and ready to ride towards the North Carolina coast.

250 miles later the scenery has changed for the better. The view outside my door did not suck that night!

I wound up on Harkers Island and stayed at Calico Jacks for the night. I had to circle the lot a few times to find good parking...LOL.

After checking in and setting out on the dock for the nice sunset I needed a bit to eat. So I headed to The Fish Hook Grill. It is a small local ran place on Harkers. As far as I am concerned there is no better place to have lunch or dinner down east.

Mmmmmm...good local shrimp in buffalo sauce and home made onion rings.

Back to Calico Jacks for the night. Only put in 255 miles today but did a bit a loafing and sight seeing. It was a nice mental break and ride.

I'll finish this report in a day or so when I have more free time.

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
FishHunt OP
slow poking...

Day two:

I woke to a bright clear morning and headed out to meet the day. I rode the short distance to the end of Island Rd on Harkers Island and snapped a few pictures and just enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine. I wish I had more mornings that start this nice. If you look close in the next picture you can see Cape Lookout lighthouse directly above my bike.

Then it was time for a short tour of the Core Sound Museum on Harkers Island. This place is full of pictures and history of the area. It is worth the time to look around here. I have yet to visit without learning something new about down east life and history.

Back on the mainland I headed east on Hwy 70 and rode to the end of that highway. Hwy 70 east ends in the little town of Atlantic, NC. It is one of those little out of the way places that always makes me want to get there fast just to take it slow.

Left Atlantic all too soon and headed out to Cedar Island. From Cedar Island you can hop on the ferry and ride over to Ocracoke. I didn't have the time to do this on this trip but I'll have the chance again I hope.

Driving on Hwy 12 to and from Cedar Island on a Monday morning you pretty much have the highway to yourself. Lets just say I left a big carbon foot print here. No one I know could ride here knowing the closest cop is 30 miles away without doing this!

Slowed down a bit once I hit Hwy 70 and started to enjoy the scenery and sunshine again. It was not long before I was in Beaufort, NC. Sitting at the Dock House Restaurant enjoying a cold dring while wondering if all the empty boat slips on Taylors Creek are due to the storms brewing off our coast. On a normal summer day this place is packed with yachts, skiffs and pleasure boats of all sizes. The next two pics are looking up and down Taylors Creek from the Dock House.

There is some very interesting history in Beaufort, NC. I took a few random photos of places I visited.

NC Maritime Museum. http://www.ncmaritime.org/

The Old Burying Ground.

There is an 11 year old girl buried here in a rum keg. Her grave is said to be haunted and people leave all sorts of things at her gravesite.

At this point of the ride I noticed that I had burned up a good portion of my birthday and headed across the water to Morehead City, NC. From there it was across the water again and through Atlantic Beach, Pine Knoll Shores, Indian Beach, Salter Path and finally Emerald Isle.

No worthy pics after this except I did stop in at The Crab Shack in Salter Path for one their awesome shrimp burgers.

After reacing Emerald Isle I followed Hwy 24 over to Hwy 17 and headed south. I sat in Jacksonville traffic and wondered how people put up with that day to day. I rode Hwt 17 to I-40 and headed for home. The only thing worth mention along the ride home was the 104 mile stretch that I covered in 75 minutes. It was my birthday and there was little to no traffic on I-40 north so I can't complain about a nice gift like that. I got home to see that I needed 2/10ths of a mile to have rode 635 miles on my little overnight trip.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
FishHunt OP
slow poking...

Lessons learned for the next trip. I need some sort of windscreen. I am looking at the Givi and National Cycle brands for this bike.

I want a top case for my rear tail rack. It will make getting to the items I want a lot easier than the roll bag on my tail rack now.

I need to tame the vibes in my handle bars and get a better set of gel gloves for longer rides. My hands were a little numb after riding non-stop from Hampstead, NC to Pittsboro, NC.

I want to go agian! I can't wait for the next overnight or longer trip.

<>< Fish

Old 09-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,226
Good stuff, FishHunt!
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,626
NICE

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Ramage
needs improvement

Oddometer: 204
Great report, Fish Hunt! Happy Birthday!

I sure hope Earl misses our beautiful coast!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,990
Sweet write up. Ya dun gud. made uz proud.

Seriously.. Happy birthday and great way to get on on your new bike. Looks to be a way different ride than your old thumper. Great pix and narrative.

A little story from Calico Jacks.
Got back in from doing some flounder fishing with my wife and parents. Wind straight into the shore. Tied the boat up in a slip bow into it. The easiest way off was over the bow. Everyone had been standing in the bow while I tied it off. I tied it short as this was just while unloading, cleaning fish, etc. Got the flounder up on the cleaning area while wife went and checked to see the facilities at C Js were still working. I started cleaning the fish.

In the mean time with everyone off the boat, it riding higher and bouncing just a little, the rope slipped off the piling. and floated back and cross ways in the slips. I saw this happening just as it moved inches beyond my reach. After exploring a few options, no one else around, it was time for a swim. So I swam out and grabbed the painter, pulled the boat back, and then had to scamper somehow back up onto the dock.

As I am in the midst of this, the gulls have decided to check out the flounder dumped in the cleaning sink. My wife comes back and is amazed that I would just leave the fish there for the birds to play with. Well in addition to being amazed, she is a little agitated about it. We had spend a hot day trying to get these to take back home. And then I go off and just leave them 'unprotected" She is shoeing the birds away and mumbling about what was I thinking. I come up and she begins to tell me what she is thinking. Part the way through this she begins to realize I am sopping wet. She finishes then with.. and why are you so wet????

So my turn. I get to say that she comes back and never looks out at the boat while fussing with the birds, doesn't notice it all cockeyed in the marina between pilings, doesn't' look that I might could use a hand while swimming around and getting the boat and rope back close enough to the slip to climb out, never offers to give me a hand to tie the boat off so I could be free to climb out, never offers to give me a hand to hoist up out of the water.... She then stammers a little... and gives me a kiss... all is right with the universe.

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 722
Sweet, ! gorgeous area you got there. Enjoyed it

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,858
Nicely done!!! .
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
pgboyd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Nice RR

And looks like you managed to avoid the hurricane ;)
Old 09-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
lostmarbles
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
great RR and right up fishunt

Don't tell me the skies the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

Have you seen my marbles?
you can't be lost if you still have half a tank
save 5$ on smugmug.com coupon #----(DE9oGz4LoiNZA )
lostmarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Nice write up. Next time your down that way you need to stop in Newport at the Croatan Cafe. They have all you can eat Crab legs on Thursday and Saturday. Bet crab leg I have ever had. I used to spend a week every summer in Morehead.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Congrats and thanks for sharing your ride with us.. great way to celebrate your b-day
Old 09-10-2010, 02:23 AM   #14
FishHunt OP
slow poking...

Thanks for the feedback.

I am doing almost the same ride again in October. I hope to have a top case and a windscreen on the bike for the next trip.

My loving wife was 2nd in line to welcome me home. My best friend beat her to the door!

<>< Fish