Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #46
RockyNH OP
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTbeemer
Pat,

Excellent report as usual. Looking for more updates.

Sorry to hear of your little "get off". But it ssems you have a nice replacement already. Stay safe.
Thanks Dan... appreciate you following along.. Recovery is going well, just slower than I like. Hoping the DR ships early next week!

Pat in NH
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #47
RockyNH OP
Older Than Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL "FLYING CANUCK"
Hi Pat

Nice trip report! Glad that you are recovering and to hear that you will be back in the saddle soon for another great adventure.

All the best
Appreciate it Al... I am in the saddle already but limited as to distance and to how rough a ride ..

Will be full adventures again next season...

Pat in NH

02 1800 Gold Wing - "Wing"
05 Ural Gear Up "Herbie"
07 F650GS - "Grasshopper" - Totaled July 2010
05 DR 650 - (?????) Purchased August 2010

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
Old 09-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #48
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Hi, Pat,

good job with the pics - I am waiting to see what happened to you.

I read your posts so far with particular interest, since I am planning to depart this Wednesday evening, heading North. I intend to run up to Chisasibi via North Road from Chibougamau, then return on James Bay Road to Matagami.

It will be interesting to compare the landscapes between your early-summer ride and now.

I wish you a good recovery. Let's see these pictures!
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #49
RockyNH OP
Older Than Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Hi, Pat,

I read your posts so far with particular interest, since I am planning to depart this Wednesday evening, heading North. I intend to run up to Chisasibi via North Road from Chibougamau, then return on James Bay Road to Matagami.

It will be interesting to compare the landscapes between your early-summer ride and now.

Thanks for following along Robert.. Looks like you are doing almost the same route as me.... It will be interesting to compare pics and impressions..

I will have Chisasibi to the waters of the bay up early morning!

Pat in NH
Old 09-13-2010, 01:41 AM   #50
RockyNH OP
Older Than Dirt!

Day 5 - Part 2

Day 5 Part 2!

We finished up lunch around 12:30 and saddled up to head out to the Bay. Just past the village, the road turned to gravel. There was a lot of loose gravel as if freshly layed in this section. The access to the water was supposed to be "a well traveled gravel road to the left". We passed one that I considered but it did not seem that well traveled so I passed. A few km's up the road ended at what turned out to be the La Grande River. Speaking to a local who stopped, it appeared that the side road I passed was it so we turned around and headed back to it.

Some sections were wash board

Most of the areas with fresh gravel had tracks where trucks/cars had passed and it was a fine line to stay in these and out of the deep stuff yet not shake your kidneys to death in the washboards.

Finally, off in the distance, the trees open up to show the waters of James Bay!

Here are the intrepid Adventure Riders at the Bay

And at waters edge!

Yours truly, standing in the water!

Looking down at my boots in the waters of James Bay... Originating in the Arctic, the water has a slightly salty taste even though it is south of the Hudson and has much freshwater running into it.

The local Cree keep their boats and sno machines down here at the shore

Jim spotted a little sand trail that lead out to another point...

We followed another gravel road down to where there was a ferry boat that crossed to Fort George Island. When we got their, it was out of commission and being repaired.

Looking across to the island....

We had seen many of these while in the area. Decided to get a picture of this one on the way out.

Heading back out towards the pavement...

There were many side roads off the pavement, leading to rivers, camps etc. This one looked interesting so we decided to take a tour.

It opened up into a lake formed by the dam at LG1

Very picturesque...

Looking at the road back up, it is steeper than it looks.

Getting back on the pavement, we headed back to the barn. This is just one of many of these roadside momuments.

So ends Day 5. It was almost 4:00pm when we got back. We took a lot of pictures, had a lunch stop in Chisasibi, the bay, the lake and a few other stops which accounted for the slow speeds especialy when most of the day was paved. It was a good weather day, so pleasant after the day we had yesterday. Time to relax, grab dinner and get ready for tomorrow when when we pack up and hit the road again.

Next up Day 6 We head south on the James Bay Road

Day 5 Stats
Total Time 6h 15m
Moving Time 4h 09m
Total Miles 173
Moving Ave 42 mph
OA Ave 28 mph
Max Speed 68

Pat in NH

05 Ural Gear Up "Herbie"

Old 09-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #51
jfpcan
n00b

Oddometer: 7
cooling down

Quote:
Hi, Pat,

Hi Robert i will be up in north quebec this weekend make sure you pack your heated gear as its getting very cool up that way today was not bad about 52 tonight suppose to dip to 30 and chisasibi is about 600 miles north of where i will be lol have a good ride

Jim
jfpcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #52
gary5410
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Sorry to hear of your mishap.....and anxious to hear what happened. Heal fast!

I made the same trip last September and all went well except for 1 of the guys on a BMW 1150 RT had a coil go bad on the North Rd. Fortunately he was able to diagnose and get a coil shipped to the Hydro support station on the North Rd. (the gas stop). Broke down late Thursday.... had the coil on Saturday.
Here's my pics of the trip...........

http://gary5410.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...20210736_R5AoH

Got to ride the Trans-Lab this fall, pics here......

http://gary5410.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...78852065_GCm3a
'11 BMW R1200 GS Adventure '09 BMW G450 X '81 BMW R80 G/S '81 BMW R80 G/S Iron Butt #23417
My pics..... http://gary5410.smugmug.com/

And Nachtflug said, "gary5410, your bike no longer sucks. Have a cigar"
gary5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #53
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpcan
Hi Robert i will be up in north quebec this weekend make sure you pack your heated gear as its getting very cool up that way today was not bad about 52 tonight suppose to dip to 30 and chisasibi is about 600 miles north of where i will be lol have a good ride
Jim
Yes, indeed, my heated vest is in, as are two layers of windproof liners. I just threw in another pair of sock liners...

The temps in Chisasibi will drop to 39F (nights) by the end of the week - which is going to be interesting, considering that I am planning to camp at least one night en route on the North Road.

We'll see. As my favorite quote goes, "everyone talks about the weather, nobody does anything about it".

Where are you going in Quebec? Anything interesting? If worthwhile, post a Ride Report.

Back to scheduled programming - I don't want to hijack RockyNH's thread.

According to Pat's RR postings, he is almost out of the woods, ready to head south on James Bay Road.
So, what happened? The suspense is eating me up (eased by the fact that he is able to tell the story).
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #54
RockyNH OP
Older Than Dirt!

Gary, your photos are Great!! Your buddy was lucky to get the coil that quick! Thanks for sharing... Your Lab route is almost the same as mine except I had to the boat to Cartwright. Did you do any of the rail trail in Newfoundland?

Robert, look forward to your report on the North Road and Chisasibi.. Be safe when you head out... 1st half of day 6 should make it up tonight!

Pat in NH

05 Ural Gear Up "Herbie"

Old 09-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #55
gary5410
Studly Adventurer

We didn't do any of the rail trails. Didn't have time .......10 days was used up with what we did!
'11 BMW R1200 GS Adventure '09 BMW G450 X '81 BMW R80 G/S '81 BMW R80 G/S Iron Butt #23417

Old 09-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #56
RockyNH OP
Older Than Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary5410
We didn't do any of the rail trails. Didn't have time .......10 days was used up with what we did!
I know that feeling!! Someday I will have all the time I want!!

Pat in NH
Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #57
gary5410
Studly Adventurer

RDWalker......

We were up to Chisasibi the 1st week of September last year and had below freezing temps in the AM... ...here's my seat covered in ice... ....this was taken at our camp in Radisson.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Old 09-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #58
jfpcan
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Yes, indeed, my heated vest is in, as are two layers of windproof liners. I just threw in another pair of sock liners...

The temps in Chisasibi will drop to 39F (nights) by the end of the week - which is going to be interesting, considering that I am planning to camp at least one night en route on the North Road.

We'll see. As my favorite quote goes, "everyone talks about the weather, nobody does anything about it".

Where are you going in Quebec? Anything interesting? If worthwhile, post a Ride Report.

Back to scheduled programming - I don't want to hijack RockyNH's thread.

According to Pat's RR postings, he is almost out of the woods, ready to head south on James Bay Road.
So, what happened? The suspense is eating me up (eased by the fact that he is able to tell the story).
Robert im going on a quick up and back this weekend in the truck my daughter lives about 2 hours from amos and it was 28 degrees last night
jfpcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #59
RockyNH OP
Older Than Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary5410
RDWalker......

We were up to Chisasibi the 1st week of September last year and had below freezing temps in the AM...
Gary, I had a seat look like that in the Catskills on a chilly September morning..

Pat in NH
Old 09-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #60
RockyNH OP
Older Than Dirt!

Day 6 - Part 1

Day 6 - Part 1 - Depart Radisson - Heading South on the James Bay Road
The James Bay Road runs from Radisson to Matagami, 620 km. It is a very remote road with no towns in between those 2. Measured from Matagami, there is fuel at the 381 km mark, where we stopped from the North Road. It was built in the 70's to tranport equipment and supplies for the James Bay Hydro project. We will be traveling North to South, so the fuel will be 240 km down the road. We then have 381 km to Matagami though we have been told there is a now 2nd fuel stop. down around the 200 km mark. We both have spare fuel so should be ok. Jim's mileage has been a little suspect because of a sprocket change but between what we both have, we should be good.

We will also be stopping at the Rupert River here also. We are planning to stop and camp down at the 80 km mark (approx 540 km ride today) We had breakfast and just now fueled up. We should be rolling at 8:05, mild temps, clear skys with white puffy clouds, looks like a good day to ride!

As we head down the road... Its paved (will be the entire length) and a beautiful day!

We saw lots of this along the way (lakes & rivers)

Light puffy white clouds against blue skys...

Gentle rolling terrain, Jim is up ahead...

163 km's to fuel... we have covered about 80 so far..

I did mention lakes didn't I??

Notice the rocky outcrop to the left.. a lot of rock in this area.

Much of the road was straight but we did encounter the occasional curves.

One of the roadside rest areas. We pulled off here and grabbed a snack bar.

Back on the road... and some more water.

and more road... paved and straight!

Here is our fuel stop at the 381 km mark.... next left!

Fueling up... could be 381 km till the next stop!

A stop in the Cafeteria for lunch...

Back on the road.... sign to the next fuel, but we still think there might be some around the 200 km mark.

We have now traveled approx 270 km, in 195 we will be back at the North Road.

You can see the continuation of the road off to the right in the distance..

More water.....

And another fire zone... we encountered several of these on this leg of the trip.

At this point, we will take a break in day 6 and finish it off in Part 2. It will feature the Rupert River..
Be back soon with the rest...
Pat in NH

05 Ural Gear Up "Herbie"

RockyNH screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 04:00 PM