User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
nomilk4u OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Question clothing question

So I searched Alaska and Googled the weather there and i still am not sure what to bring.
I plan on riding to Deadhorse from San Diego starting June 12th 2011 and return the first week July.
My question is for those who have made this trek. Did you bring or need heated gear? I already have good riding gear, but none of it heated.
For those who fight to protect it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know.
nomilk4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomilk4u
Did you bring or need heated gear?
It's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
nomilk4u OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks
It's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
Thats what I've read alot, but nobody says if they really needed it. I am a KLR rider which in turn means that I am a cheap ass. I just don't want to fork over the cash for a suit and in beefing up the bikes electro system unless I have a need to.
For those who fight to protect it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
My guess is, if your profile is correct and you reside in Guam, you'll probably be cold here.

Yours is a question only you can really answer. Do you get cold when the temps are in the 50s (before windchill is factored in)? If so, you'll probably want the gear...if not, then you might not.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
dave58
Not if I see you first

Oddometer: 113
I did the trip in June '09. Went to Deadhorse and Inuvik, and I was glad to have my heated jacket. There were a few times when it was on full blast.

'08 R1200GS Adv.
'93 K1100RS
dave58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,925
Temps could easily vary from freezing 32 degrees to 100+ degrees over your route. I'd rather have it and not want it...

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
nomilk4u OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave58
I did the trip in June '09. Went to Deadhorse and Inuvik, and I was glad to have my heated jacket. There were a few times when it was on full blast.

This is what i really wanted to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks
My guess is, if your profile is correct and you reside in Guam, you'll probably be cold here.

Yours is a question only you can really answer. Do you get cold when the temps are in the 50s (before windchill is factored in)? If so, you'll probably want the gear...if not, then you might not.

This helps alot too knowing about the wind chill, I kind of forgot about that one. I am now stationed at San Diego! i guess it is time to update my profile.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Rather than going the whole boatload of electric clothing step back and assess what you really need.I have been up to Alaska in July and never had any problems with cold.Living in Ontario and riding in fall and early spring is not much different from Alaska
If riding a KLR you should be able to fit a cheap kit for heated handgrips which will make a big improvement on comfort on early chill mornings - warm hands will mean a great deal in feeling comfortable. . Adding more load will probably ovetax the KLR alternator output .No need to spend hundreds of dollars to rebuild the electric sysytem to higher outputs though..
Check through your clothing supply and take stuff which is light, heat retaining and multi functional and can be layered.Cover this all with your wind proof water proof riding suit or simply a one-piece rainsuit.Voila ,no wind chill.
Heated clothing is an advantage in that it permits one to carry less bulk in the luggage for the event that it gets cold. However what if it gets cold and the electric clothing looses power leaving you under dressed?
By the way wind chill is not something which only occurs in Alaska- any time you step on a bike and you set in motion you are producing a wind chill, even in San Diego and Arizona , even if the outdooor temperature is 30Celsius. So long as the outside temperature is lower than body temp you will be shedding heat to air contacting your bare exposed skin, the wind chill. Prolonged windblast in cold but above freezing air will not cause frostbite but it will sap your energy and result in medical issues due to exposure. Avoid that by keeping out the wind and you should have no problem.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,925
+1 on wind control.

If you get a good breeze off the water, the air will drop to near freezing along the Arctic Ocean. Depending upon weather, the passes can be quite cold, especially if it's wet. Sure, you may have perfect weather, but if you can slip in a low-wattage vest and heated gloves, why not just do it.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomilk4u
Thats what I've read alot, but nobody says if they really needed it. I am a KLR rider which in turn means that I am a cheap ass. I just don't want to fork over the cash for a suit and in beefing up the bikes electro system unless I have a need to.
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
nomilk4u OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the Great info!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
I didn't bring heated hear, but I got a full dresser, with pretty good weather protection.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
mwike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
We were up there the first week of July. We used wool thermals & left the heated gear at home - no problems at all, but of course there's no guarantee of the weather.

I didn't want to carry heated gear if at worst I was only going to use the gear 4 days out of 14 total days.
mwike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,125
I dont know about Alaska, but I have crossed 15,000 foot passes here in the Andes, at night (around -20 C), moving right along too. Heated gear is nice for sure, but I have never needed a heated jacket. I was toasty warm with a light down jacket, rain liner, riding jacket.

But as a caveat, when other folks are freezing their asses off, I am usually just mildly chilled. And believe it or not, the cold damp winter air of San Diego makes me shiver. That cold air off the ocean gives me the shivers, even if its 60 degrees F outside.

The most important thing is to wear something to keep the cold air from rushing up into your helmet. some type of neck gaiter does wonders, and a nice thin but warm hat or hood that goes underneath your helmet.

IMO, the biggest single mistake is that riders dont keep their head warm, and the rest of the body suffers......

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,921
i went in June 2009 and was glad to have my heated gear. leaving the north slope the wind, fog and temperature made it a necessity, not a luxury
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote