User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
Phreaky Phils 2up T.A.T DR650 Build

My Wife and I have decided we want to ride the T.A.T. We currently ride a Farkled BMWR80GS but I have decided it is to heavy and doesnt have enough suspension for the TAT. After checking out countless threads and looking at all the bike possibilities we decided to get another DR650. I used to have one before I got the BMW so I know what they go like and are cabable of.This is my last one, a 98 model. I got it in 99 an had it for about 3 years

I had done most of the things that everyone does now, but back then there wasnt the wealth of imformation that is available. It had Ohlins rear, Race Tech Emulators, .43 fork springs. Modified XR600 Acerbis tank (pain in the arse to fit) Modified earlier DR headlight, Ground header pipe, Rejetteed carb, modified seat And a bunch of other stuff.
What it needed was Another 5 HP/more torque. A better seat. Better forks.

8 Years later this followed us home one wet winters day

A 2006 with 16000km (10000miles)
I took it out for a ride then pulled it to bits.

The plan.
Big tank
Big suspension
Big seat
Big power ( in DR terms)

I had 2 choices of suspension sitting in the shed
A complete DRZ400 front end and a set of YZF250 forks and clamps

My preference is the DRZ forks as everything is there but I had read there is a problem with steering lock when using the big tanks.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Of the two tanks available, IMS and Safari, I chose the Safari as I reckon the IMS is a bit small. I didnt want to start fitting forks until I had the tank to see what would fit, clearance wise, so I started on the seat. I needs to be longer to give enough room for the pillion. I made a few phonecalls to the seat buliders and no one was interested in doing a special base so I found a couple of seats for sale. The plan is to make the seat 75mm or so longer by cutting 2 bases and plastic welding them together. I made the first cut just behind the seat mounting plates

I'm waiting for the second seat to come. I may use my original for the second one while I wait for the other one to turn up.
The rear guard needed to be shifted back 75mm as well. I made up an aluminium plate to span the gap
Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
chipwich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114

This will be a fun one to watch. I'm in the middle of a similar project, although not nearly as abitous. Found a very well kept '06, completely stock, including reflectors, snorkel, and the like for a very reasonable price. Well, you have to find them either well farkled or inexpensive. The first saves you some time and perhaps money, the later is more personal.

Thanks for taking the time to document your work. Looking forward to seeing how the tail comes out.

chipwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Wow! DR's Are Gettin' Popular!

Looking forward to "The Build" Phil

What is your planned use for the bike once you've finished?
RTW trip? Local use?

Love to see how you squeeze two people and gear on a DR650!

This should be good! Rock on!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Looking forward to "The Build" Phil

What is your planned use for the bike once you've finished?
RTW trip? Local use?

Love to see how you squeeze two people and gear on a DR650!

This should be good! Rock on!
We want to do the Trans America
Trail 2 up. Hopefully 2012. Dont think we'll have enough money for 2011. We've been all over NZ 2up on the Old DR. Ya just have to pack light !! We also did Alaska in 07 on a 650 Dakar. The DR is lighter & has better suspension than the Dakar, but the Dakar wins hands down on economy. 26km per liter 2up and loaded !!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

The tank has arrived Have been hanging out for this as the forks and seat are both crutial to the tank position
Old 09-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

I was surprised to find that the first point of contact forks/tank was the top clamp not the bottom. I had read another DRZ fork swap thread with an IMS tank and that hit the bottom clamp on the left side. I have gone with the DRZ front end over the YZF front end as the DRZ front end is complete with wheel and the forks are smaller at the top so the fit into the tank recesses better, helping the steering lock situation. Having said that , the forks still hit the tank before the steering stops. I could make it easy for myself and just shit the stops but i want Maximum steering lock so my solution is to shift the tank back 10mm. This allows the steering stops to hit first with 5mm fork to tank clearance
Old 09-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,261
This should be good

Your R80 is pretty cool, lots of neat little touches, some styley engineering & it looks great, no doubt this will be one sweet DR when you are done.

Can you fix the fork-tank interference by heating the tank & re-forming the offending area?

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
WooPig
Oh Glory!

Oddometer: 545
Nice. But then, that bumblebee in the background is nice too...

WooPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #10
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys. I dont want to try heating the tank and trying to reshape it. Apparently they swell a bit with time anyway and I dont want to risk buggering it. ! It cost too much !!
This is with the clearance to the stops with the tank full forward. The forks are contacting the tank.

If you rotate the bars to give about 5mm fork to tank clearance

You may have noticed the custom steering stops. One of the original ones had been a bit "munted" so I got them milled off and I made some new ones. I think relocating the tank back is the best solution as it wont affect the seating position and im chopping seat bases anyway. 10mm rearward is enough to get full lock and have 5mm fork / tank clearance.
Pressing the steering stem back in and I fitted a new steering head bearing while I was at it.

Tonight I have been making a pattern for a mounting bracket for the ignition and steering lock, Quite tricky but i think I've got it sussed
Old 09-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #11
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
nice one Phill, im watching with great enthusiasm and envy

GO THE DRs
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ive been busy the last few nights although not many pics to show. Ive cut off the old tank mounts and ground the welds back. A quick squirt of paint to stop it rusting. One day i'll strip the bike down and get the frame powder coated.

I've made patterns for the new tank mounts and the ignition/steering lock. These are at the water jet cutter and I hope they are done tomorrow.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 AM   #13
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Too mecky bro!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #14
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil
My Wife and I have decided we want to ride the T.A.T. We currently ride a Farkled BMWR80GS but I have decided it is to heavy and doesnt have enough suspension for the TAT. After checking out countless threads and looking at all the bike possibilities we decided to get another DR650. I used to have one before I got the BMW so I know what they go like and are cabable of.This is my last one, a 98 model. I got it in 99 an had it for about 3 years

I had done most of the things that everyone does now, but back then there wasnt the wealth of imformation that is available. It had Ohlins rear, Race Tech Emulators, .43 fork springs. Modified XR600 Acerbis tank (pain in the arse to fit) Modified earlier DR headlight, Ground header pipe, Rejetteed carb, modified seat And a bunch of other stuff.
What it needed was Another 5 HP/more torque. A better seat. Better forks.
Got any more pics of this one? I'd like to see what it looked like with the old school headlight/fairing.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Heres another pic of the Old DR. I only got the headlight surround and made a bracket to hold a Hella car headlight. The Suzuki headlight was to expensive