Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil
You do like white bikes dontcha. Looks good. Love your work
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:07 AM   #47
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
A bit slow in the last couple of weeks, I had a 2 day ride on so had to prepare for and clean up afterwards. Last weekend I made some seat brackets. I wanted them to span across where the join in the seat is, to give that area more strength. I got some ali bits bent into shape. I wanted 4mm, they said is 5mm ok ,we dont have 4mm. I said, a bit thick but Ok. When I got them home they were 6mm. !! Ah well, they wont bend. So out with the hacksaw and cut them into shape.

Bolted onto the seatbase

And on the bike

Next job, the rubbers at the rear of the seat neede something to rest on. I cut some bits of angle which bolt to the frame on the inside of the front rear rack mounting bosses. Then I got them welded to my mudguard extension bracket

With the seat in place the rubbers sit nicely on the new brackets and the whole thing is solid as
Now to bolt things up for good so I can take the bike to have the seat made

Phreaky Phil screwed with this post 10-05-2010 at 01:09 AM Reason: Missed PIC
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #48
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Its been a while since I managed to update. Things are progressing nicely.A couple of weeks ago we went to Tauranga (NZ) to Rider Seats to get a seat done. It was a big ask to make a DR seat like my Beemer Corbins, but I think the end result is pretty good. I havent been able to ride the bike yet so only time will tell but its roomy enough for 2 and certainly wide enough.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #49
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Next was a rear rack. As the seat is 70mm longer it meant that none of the DR racks would fit, so i would have to make my own. I started with bits of aluminium flat, and lots of cardboard and tape. Once I had the side brackets sussed, I drew them up and got them Water Jet cut.

Then it was more cardboard, and lots of measuring to make a drawing of the top plate. Back to the Water Jet guys and once it was cut out I got it folded on the edges. Here it is one the bike

The plate still has to be welded to the brackets. Once its welded I will get it powder coated
Old 10-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #50
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Looking good Phil.
Kanny wants the KLE seat modded also by Rider.
Sexy sexy seat.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #51
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Laugh

Nice seat! Looks ideal for Two Up. Might crowd a big guy some if going Solo. Nice rack too! Should be wide enough to support a good sized (40 liter) Duffle bag laying cross ways. Very nice and probably lighter than the stock Suzuki rack.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #52
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Nice seat! Looks ideal for Two Up. Might crowd a big guy some if going Solo. Nice rack too! Should be wide enough to support a good sized (40 liter) Duffle bag laying cross ways. Very nice and probably lighter than the stock Suzuki rack.
Thanks I'm only 5'10" so have plenty of room to move around. A mate came round yesterday and hes 6'2" and he was sat right at where the seat curves up. He would probably want to lower the pegs as well.
Not sure if I will yet. We want to use soft panniers as well as a rear bag. Probably be either Ortlieb or Wolfman Expedition. The Ortlieb clip straight onto the racks, with no straps over the seat which is good, pillion wise. The wolfman attach to the racks very securely but also have straps, one over the seat, so will have to alter that. I have a few ideas, one of them must work
Old 10-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #53
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri boy
Looking good Phil.
Kanny wants the KLE seat modded also by Rider.
Sexy sexy seat.
I see a trip to Tauranga in you future
Old 10-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #54
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

The new rear rack provides the mounting points for the front indicators but I had to knock up some brackets to mount the front ones. I'm using Yamaha WR400/426 inicators. I reckon these are the best ones made. Super flexible and almost indestructible. There are much smaller ones made but I also want to be seen. A awful lot of bike accidents happen at intersections because cars "didnt see" the bike.
See how flexi they are

Some 3mm ali and a couple of hours later

Time for some "bling". I was in the Yamaha shop looking at Protaper bars and the parts guy told me I could get GYTR Protapers way cheaper than aftermarket ones. They're available in 2 bends WR andYZ. I went for the WR bend. NZ$113 compared with about NZ$250

Old 10-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #55
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sorting the suspension is next. Ive found some .48 springs on TradeMe for my DRZ forks and the guy a the suspension shop has a 2nd hand pair of Race Tech valves for the Cartridges at the right price
The rear is my Dilema. Spring the BIG bucks for the Ohlins or for about half that get a Cogent ??
Old 10-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #56
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
http://www.hyperpro.ws/

I would also look into YSS. Very good reports from BMW guys using these shocks.

http://www.yssusa.com/series-x.html
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #57
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Will be using lengthened stock base. I was looking at getting one done overseas. Have talked to Corbins, Sargent and Renazco. Corbins cant do with stock base and wont make a longer one. Sargent wont make a long base, wont sell there bases so I can make a longer one but would do a seat if I supply them a lengthened base.
Renazco dont make bases but are keen to build a seat and I was keen to go with them, UNTIL I found he's already booked till next February.
I sent Rick Mayer an Email but havent heard back. I recently spoke to Mack at Rider seats in Tauranga. He said he can build what I want. I can also take the bike there and trial it as its built. I havent had any feedback on seats hes built so it might be a leap of faith if I go that way.
My R80G/s came with a rider seat on it which had been built up to give greater height. It was well made and very comfortable and had the thumbs up from me.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #58
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
I'm using Yamaha WR400/426 inicators. I reckon these are the best ones made. Super flexible and almost indestructible. There are much smaller ones made but I also want to be seen. See how flexi they are

Some 3mm ali and a couple of hours later

Those indicators look very similiar to the Touratech ones I have on the PD. The only difference I can see is the Touratech ones attach via the tube the wires run through which is threaded with a nut.
The Touratech ones were $25AU each plus shipping.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #59
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
I highly recommend the Cogent. I had one on my DR Nd now have an Ohlins on my xchallenge. I like the Cogent just as good or better!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #60
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,795
Phil,

You do some excellent work. Fabulous!
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote