Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #76
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
My Ohlins is ride height adjustable. I've raised it up about an inch or so using the adjuster on the bottom of the shock. I thought most Ohlins had this feature? Mine is an older Ohlins from the late 90's. Fits perfect in the DR but the pipe does come close to the nitrogen reservoir. No probs so far.

I agree about raising up the front too far ... could affect handling in a negative way. Ride and decide is best I guess. Enjoying the display of nice handy work with the brackets.

Carry on!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #77
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,514
Yes, mine has the ride height adjuster. Usually people use this to lower the rear ride height. What I meant was, with the stock shock in place in the high position (or the ohlins adjusted to the same length ) this is as high as the rear can be. As Ohlins no longer make this shock our Ohlins dealer builds them to the exact same spec. Ohlins have spec sheets detailing all parts and shim settings.
There has been some comment about the DR Ohlins in standard spec not handling corrugations or washboard very well. How is yours on these surfaces. I will be trying to test mine soon on this type of surface, but we dont have a great deal of it here in NZ, usually on uphill sections or corners.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #78
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Mine is certainly a big improvement over stock. I had a put a heavier Eibach spring on my stock shock but the Ohlins rides better on everything, including washboard. I've ridden it twice in Baja and in the Mojave Desert, so I've seen some washboard roads. My normal technique is to speed up, the Ohlins takes the scary out of this. I'm still working on the front forks (stock w/Eibach springs and added preload) Needs more up front to match the plushness and control of the rear.

I though of buying the new Ohlins damper rod kit for KYB and Showa forks. Drop it in and good to go. Looks like it includes Ohlin's version of a Race Tech Gold valve or some such. Problem is : $1500 USD. Ohlins do the job at their US headquarters in N. Carolina. Too rich for my blood but makes the fork fully adjustable (comp, rebound, preload)
Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #79
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Mine is certainly a big improvement over stock. I had a put a heavier Eibach spring on my stock shock but the Ohlins rides better on everything, including washboard. I've ridden it twice in Baja and in the Mojave Desert, so I've seen some washboard roads. My normal technique is to speed up, the Ohlins takes the scary out of this. I'm still working on the front forks (stock w/Eibach springs and added preload) Needs more up front to match the plushness and control of the rear.

I though of buying the new Ohlins damper rod kit for KYB and Showa forks. Drop it in and good to go. Looks like it includes Ohlin's version of a Race Tech Gold valve or some such. Problem is : $1500 USD. Ohlins do the job at their US headquarters in N. Carolina. Too rich for my blood but makes the fork fully adjustable (comp, rebound, preload)
Sounds interesting. Haven't seen the Ohlins damper rod kit before. Way more expensive than a complete fork swap though
Old 12-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #80
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Started doing checks and programing the TrailTech this afternoon. Every thing seems to function except the engine temperature sensor. I've tried the usual, read the manual, unplug everything,do a system reset. I will contact Jeff @ Procycle for direction. Must be a "dicky" sensor
Old 12-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #81
sthamerica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Dr650 tat

Hey Phil, I like your work.
I rode the TAT this year on a DR650. If you would like a heads up on any points send me a private message.

I ran an IMS 18l tank, which fitted and performed perfectly. Regardless of what you read in forums, availability of gas on the trail is actualy, overall, not a problem, although you do need to fill up at every reasonable opportunity (and EVERY opportunity in Nevada). Note however we did not have pillions. Also, as Sam wrote some of the route sheets a long time ago, there are a number of marked gas stations which are closed, or no longer sell gas, so do not rely on the sheets.

If you intend riding the whole thing - Tn to Or (5300 miles +/-) - I believe your piliion will need to be prepared to walk in a few places, so have your Wife consider this when selecting boots. I am not a good rider, but my riding buddy is, and we both found the second half often more like a trail ride than an adventure rider in some places.

I cannot identify your Trail Tech speedo from the pics, but fit a VECTOR model with handle bar mounted remote if you can. There are a LOT of instructions, and the remote can re set the odometer.

It is a great ride, but some of the distances are huge, so go out on a long fuse!

Good luck.
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #82
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
Hey Phil, I like your work.
I rode the TAT this year on a DR650. If you would like a heads up on any points send me a private message.

I ran an IMS 18l tank, which fitted and performed perfectly. Regardless of what you read in forums, availability of gas on the trail is actualy, overall, not a problem, although you do need to fill up at every reasonable opportunity (and EVERY opportunity in Nevada). Note however we did not have pillions. Also, as Sam wrote some of the route sheets a long time ago, there are a number of marked gas stations which are closed, or no longer sell gas, so do not rely on the sheets.

If you intend riding the whole thing - Tn to Or (5300 miles +/-) - I believe your piliion will need to be prepared to walk in a few places, so have your Wife consider this when selecting boots. I am not a good rider, but my riding buddy is, and we both found the second half often more like a trail ride than an adventure rider in some places.

I cannot identify your Trail Tech speedo from the pics, but fit a VECTOR model with handle bar mounted remote if you can. There are a LOT of instructions, and the remote can re set the odometer.

It is a great ride, but some of the distances are huge, so go out on a long fuse!

Good luck.
Thanks. Were you part of Rossco's crew ? I have been talking to Dave Kuriger since he's been back as well. I will keep you in mind as there will be more questions that pop. I got the Vapour unit but I also have an ICO tripmeter which I have used for ADV rides.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #83
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finally got everything together and got out this afternoon for the bikes "maiden voyage". Nothing fell off but the clutch perch came loose. A bit of loctite when I got home fixed that. Hard to tell how the bikes handling really as I went out after a storm (Big flooding, especially in the South Island & Wellington (Capital City) had wind gusts over 160kmh )has passed through and while the sun had come out its incredibly windy.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #84
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

One thing I noticed from my test ride, the indicator dash lamp in the Trailtech spedo is very hard to see when riding, so I have changed out the green cover for the orange one. It had a oil symbol on it but a bit of petrol soon got rid of that.
Looks brighter than the geen one
Old 12-28-2010, 12:52 AM   #85
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
are you sticking with that exhaust Phil
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:34 AM   #86
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310 View Post
are you sticking with that exhaust Phil
No, I have a KTM 530 one and a couple of TL1000 ones to try but want to sort the suspension and get some ride time before going in search of power
Old 12-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #87
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Looking good!
I'd love to hear how your bike handles on tarmac compared to a bone stock DR650. I don't know if you guys have many good twisty roads where you can push the bike a bit. (and no cops of course!)

I have a few "test routes" I use. I know these sections well and can get a baseline testing on them.

This road exposes any bad handling traits ... about 20 miles of this with lots of elevation changes ... just like Laguna Seca!
The stock DR does pretty well on such a road, with balance and geometry pretty spot on, IMHO. Soft, yes but it works on a technical road ridden aggressively.

What's with the Storm? Isn't it Summer down under ?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #88
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Looking good!
I'd love to hear how your bike handles on tarmac compared to a bone stock DR650. I don't know if you guys have many good twisty roads where you can push the bike a bit. (and no cops of course!)

I have a few "test routes" I use. I know these sections well and can get a baseline testing on them.

This road exposes any bad handling traits ... about 20 miles of this with lots of elevation changes ... just like Laguna Seca!
The stock DR does pretty well on such a road, with balance and geometry pretty spot on, IMHO. Soft, yes but it works on a technical road ridden aggressively.

What's with the Storm? Isn't it Summer down under ?
Yeah its summer all right, but we can get storms any time of year. Today was a perfect weather day and have been out for a ride on the Beemer. 500km of twisty roads !
Hopefully i'll get out on the DR again tomorrow and get a few more miles on it.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #89
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Yeah its summer all right, but we can get storms any time of year. Today was a perfect weather day and have been out for a ride on the Beemer. 500km of twisty roads !
Hopefully i'll get out on the DR again tomorrow and get a few more miles on it.
Great, love to hear what you think. I'm still working on my front end, it's gotten too harsh now and I don't know why. Someday I hope to make the switch to better forks and brakes. Otherwise my DR650 is working great for so much riding I do.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #90
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

After a bit of riding around today i'm "get'n the hang of it" My initial impressions were that the rebound was to light. This was to be expected as we left the damping as per Ohlins spec but have an 8kg spring in it (For 2 up). I stopped in at the Ohlins shop and gave Robert a look and he agreed so tomorrow I will take the bike over and whip the shock out (like its that easy !) and Rob will do a revalve. Note to self. Take the Camera