Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
A couple of pics from yesterday on the Wanganui River road

Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #92
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yesterday I spent most of the day at CKT (Ohlins shop). Both mine and Roberts opinion was the rebound damping was to light. This is the result of having a heavy spring fitted (8kg) for two up riding. The heavy spring holds the back up with the extra weight on it but when compressed it rebounds faster.
First job is to get the shock out

The shock can be got out by removal of the airbox and the rubber boot to the carb ( seperately ). Very fiddly putting them back in though.
Robert disassembling the shock

The shock shaft with the "piston" just under his hand. For anyone unfamiliar with the internals of a shock, the damping shims sit each side of the piston

These are all the rebound damping shims layed out on the bench

One shim was removed and a couple added then back together for a try out.
The shock being vacuum bled

Then gassed up

Then back into the bike and go for a spin.
The difference is very noticable, I think its in the ballpark now. Even though it feels very firm with just me on it the bike feels very "planted" compared to before. My wife came over to the shop so we could both get on the bike and get Robert to measure the sag. We decided to go with the next spring up, so we've fitted an 8.5kg spring.
Now i'm ready for a 2up tryout
Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #93
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today we went "Testing" We went up to the Uruti area, about 1/2 north of where we live. There are some great back roads in there. The bike went really well and am very happy with it. The wife says the seat is great . The suspension is working well. I backed off the compression 5 clicks and left the rebound alone. The rebound may want 1 or 2 more clicks but will ride some more and see. Tomorrow we are heading for the "Whanga Rd" for more testing.
Some pics from today

Phreaky Phil screwed with this post 01-01-2011 at 08:02 PM
Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #94
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Go the DRs

looking grouse mate
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #95
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,082
You going to lower the passenger pegs?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #96
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
You going to lower the passenger pegs?
We were discussing that at our lunch stop. Dawn thinks they aren't to bad but are definately higher than the Beemer ones and its harder to get on and off the bike with them that high, so I guess that means yes. I will design some new plates and get them cut out.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #97
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310 View Post
Go the DRs

looking grouse mate
Thanks Dino, hows the leg ?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #98
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

I was very happy with the way it steers too. It seems more stable in the front end than the Beemer, I guess because were sitting further forward with more weight over the front. With the beemer, unless you've got a clean/swept line in the gravel it wants to slide the front, the DR seemed to be finding traction even with the loose sand on the surface. Still getting used to what it will do, after so many years/miles on the Beemer
Old 01-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #99
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Thanks Dino, hows the leg ?

not to good back to quacks on wednesday.
on the bright side it gives me more time to look over these ADV threads
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #100
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
We were discussing that at our lunch stop. Dawn thinks they aren't to bad but are definately higher than the Beemer ones and its harder to get on and off the bike with them that high, so I guess that means yes. I will design some new plates and get them cut out.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-333853832.htm
Old 01-02-2011, 01:45 AM   #101
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Funnily enough I was going to tell you about a guy I was just riding with who had some drop brackets on his 650. It is the same guy on the trademe add, who woulda guessed ?
Anyway they are a nice piece of kit, and do look stock. He got through the Mackley river 2 up and his wife was quite happy and comfortable at the end of the trip
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #102
NordieBoy
Armature speller

I would prefer the same drop but also back a bit so the pillions feet are a bit more under her.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #103
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

We will have to experiment a bit. The new seat is higher than the stock DR seat and much wider so that may dictate where is comfortable. Coming back much may just bend the knees more. Dawn said she sits up straighter on this bike whereas on the Beemer it was a "slouch". No sure whether thats the seat, pegs or both.
Oh well more testing needed
Lets go riding
Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #104
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
We will have to experiment a bit. The new seat is higher than the stock DR seat and much wider so that may dictate where is comfortable. Coming back much may just bend the knees more. Dawn said she sits up straighter on this bike whereas on the Beemer it was a "slouch". No sure whether thats the seat, pegs or both.
Oh well more testing needed
Lets go riding
Make a pair of dogbones out of 5mm alloy or something about 150mm long for each side. Bolt them up to the footpeg and footpeg mount and then they're adjustable to an extent to let you find a good position and then make up some 1-piece ones.

The old DR's pillion peg was at about swingarm level and as far back as the rim.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #105
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

We had a big day out "testing" yesterday. We rode the Whanga Rd, Aotuhia Stn, Okara Stn and went up to a tunnel that not many know of. A friend of ours who runs Taranaki Motorcycle Adventures was heading out there as well, with a customer, so we had some company on the way round. Not that we had a hope of keeping up with WR Yamies but they never had to wait long.
The bike ran great. Very happy so far with the suspension. We must be using all the travel in the rear as I could hear the upper chain roller quit often (No I havent removed it yet !)I had an annoying "clunking" which I had trouble pin pointing but I'm pretty sure it's coming from the brace holding the two sides of the tank together. After I've washed the bike I will pull the tank off for a look.
Still debating the pillion pegs. On bonus of them being a bit high is they are out of the ruts a bit more.