User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Receiver type hauler for a 800 GS

Anyone haul there 800GS on a receiver type hauler? You know the ones that slide into a receiver type trailer hitch..I have a 3/4 ton Cargo van and would really like to haul it inside. But I think it would be tough to load/unload by myself. I normally use the van to haul my dirt bike. The van would also be very handy to camp in during bad weather.

Before the "I ride don't haul" crowd jumps in... It would be used a few times a year when going to Colorado and other destinations over 1000 miles from home. Going across Kansas in July or August is miserable. The comforts of AC in my trusty cargo van would be very nice.

I see a lot of the dirt bike versions, but I would want something strong enough that my 2010 800 GS would not end up sliding down the Interstate somewhere near JerkWater Kansas...

Models and pictures would be great..

Thanks Smitty
Old 01-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 4,178
Not to be the math Geek here, but safe tongue loads are 10% of the rating. My class 3 hitch had a max tongue load of 500 lbs. My class 4 was 750 so a 500 lb bike plus the hauler weight.......

Just pondering it.

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 4,178
Or did you mean like this:

http://hoghauler.net/

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,724
How about this. Ride Report

Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Check your tongue wt. capacity, figure the carrier wt. and the bike wt. That bike may be a tad heavy for a bumper bike.

I use a Versa hauler to carry my 625SXC. It's around 315lb, and my Toyota FJ carries it well, but I'm not willing to try carrying a heavier bike.
Installed airbags and that made a huge difference. I'd highly recommend this should you decide to go with a hitch hauler.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Not to be the math Geek here, but safe tongue loads are 10% of the rating. My class 3 hitch had a max tongue load of 500 lbs. My class 4 was 750 so a 500 lb bike plus the hauler weight.......

Just pondering it.

I have a class IV hitch, with a 1000lbs tongue weight per manufacture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Or did you mean like this:

http://hoghauler.net/

Lord noooooo, not that type....

Smitty
Old 01-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #7
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsB View Post
Check your tongue wt. capacity, figure the carrier wt. and the bike wt. That bike may be a tad heavy for a bumper bike.

I use a Versa hauler to carry my 625SXC. It's around 315lb, and my Toyota FJ carries it well, but I'm not willing to try carrying a heavier bike.
Installed airbags and that made a huge difference. I'd highly recommend this should you decide to go with a hitch hauler.
I have a 3/4 ton cargo van with over loads, so the weight on it won't be a issue. Just wanting a receiver hauler with enough capacity to haul my 800...

I know I could just load it on a trailer, but would rather haul it without a trailer...

Smitty
Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #8
tmckenz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I have one that is designed for sport bikes that claims a 500lb capacity. Can't remember the brand, but you can find them easily enough with Google. Have used it for my Ktm 450 and gsxr600 with absolutely no issues. I bought it with the intent of hauling the 990ADV, but haven't yet. It seems perfectly capable of handling the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tmckenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,556
My receiver hitch hauler maxs out at 600 lbs. Same as my buddies- I'm not sure of either brand. I believe that is standard weight for this type of carrier.

Good for a sport bike or a classic airhead but a 800GS? I'm not sure
Long Island BMW Riders Club- Click here for our website
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 1,000
I'm planning to do same / similar with our 05' Tahoe. It will require mounting a new receiver rated (and built) for this kind of weight / hitch.

Using Joe Hauler:

stock pic

http://www.joehauler.com/singlehaule...ehaulers.shtml
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #11
Motomochila
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 1,020
Fella's! Why toy with disaster. It may work, but the chances of quick metal fatigue and failure are eminent. I own a Versa-Hauler and have plugged in a class IV hitch on a 1-ton single axle short bed pick up. The bike- KTM 690. Only 340 lbs. my ass was dragging all over the place...and a small bump bent, yep bent the versa-hauler receiver shaft. The weight distribution was so far behind my axle, it loaded my 1-ton like I was up running without springs.

If you are considering this setup, I would add a second receiver to give you two mounting points. Leave you center receiver intact and add one on each side spaced at least 36 inches apart. Weld two mounts to the hauler and make sure you include a shaft support bolt to stop any movement in your receiver. The shaft support is only a small bracket to press against the receiver to stop the movement associated with the slide fit of the hauler bracket. Also put two tie-down rings on the truck side to attach tie-downs from you bike to the truck as well as the tie-downs on the hauler. Attaching tie-downs to the bed of the truck seems to help eliminate the sway of the hauler.

This is my new set up on my 5-wheel trailer to carry my 800 or my smaller bikes. Sorry no pics.
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2014 EXC500,2012 BMW GTL1600, 2015 BMW F800 GS Adventure, , 2015 Ducati Hypermotard SP and 16 other motorcycle projects in various stages of completion. It's an addiction thing.
Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Fella's! Why toy with disaster. It may work, but the chances of quick metal fatigue and failure are eminent. I own a Versa-Hauler and have plugged in a class IV hitch on a 1-ton single axle short bed pick up. The bike- KTM 690. Only 340 lbs. my ass was dragging all over the place...and a small bump bent, yep bent the versa-hauler receiver shaft. The weight distribution was so far behind my axle, it loaded my 1-ton like I was up running without springs.

If you are considering this setup, I would add a second receiver to give you two mounting points. Leave you center receiver intact and add one on each side spaced at least 36 inches apart. Weld two mounts to the hauler and make sure you include a shaft support bolt to stop any movement in your receiver. The shaft support is only a small bracket to press against the receiver to stop the movement associated with the slide fit of the hauler bracket. Also put two tie-down rings on the truck side to attach tie-downs from you bike to the truck as well as the tie-downs on the hauler. Attaching tie-downs to the bed of the truck seems to help eliminate the sway of the hauler.

This is my new set up on my 5-wheel trailer to carry my 800 or my smaller bikes. Sorry no pics.
Thanks Moto for the insight. I have seen models that are mounted higher to prevent dragging from happening. That said, it would put this 500+lbs bike higher and harder to load by myself. The more I investigate, the more complicated it gets.

Thanks Smitty
Old 01-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #13
rpcraft
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I had a hauler that I purchased off a inmate here and if I had a small bike on it it would probably have been fine. I tried loading my cb900f hornet on it and it made the front of my truck steer very poorly. For reference I was in a Nissan Frontier crew cab with the short bed. Obviously not quite the size and weight of your 3/4 ton van so you should be arlight up to about 500 pounds or so. Now just out of curiosity, why not set your van up as a toy hauler with the bike on the inside?
rpcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #14
Motomochila
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post
Thanks Moto for the insight. I have seen models that are mounted higher to prevent dragging from happening. That said, it would put this 500+lbs bike higher and harder to load by myself. The more I investigate, the more complicated it gets.

Thanks Smitty
I walk my 800 adventure right on my modified Versa-Hauler with no problem. I extended the loading ramp by 12 inches to allow for less incline. The bike is now mounted to the back of my 5-wheel. When it was on my truck with only one mount point, it swayed and eventually bent down the shaft. On the new design, the two mount shafts support the load more evenly and are angled slightly upwards to incorporate the drop in trailer suspension when the load is applied. Sits level and doesn't move. Total costs to fix; $200.00. Well worth the cost considering the value of my ride, not to mention the potential damage if the bike happened to fall off and hit someone. I will snap a few pics the next time I load up for a trip.
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2014 EXC500,2012 BMW GTL1600, 2015 BMW F800 GS Adventure, , 2015 Ducati Hypermotard SP and 16 other motorcycle projects in various stages of completion. It's an addiction thing.
Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #15
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Easy: Have 2" receivers welded on the outside of your trailer hitch brackets/frame rail. If you try to carry that much weight only through the receiver already on the van, you will have all kinds of movement and stress focused on a small area.

If mount it with two receivers mounted to the frame rails, you will have no movement and it will be much safer. Plus it supports the carrier closer to where the wheels rest.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote