Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
Excite-Bike OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Is there a how-to somewhere for drilling out the exhaust for more volume?

Sounds like a post from a teenager, I know, but here's my reasoning...

Going from a fairly loud DR-Z400 with a FMF Q4 pipe and PowerBomb header on it to this F650GS I am suddenly feeling dangerously invisible and have already had cars here in San Francisco commuter traffic merge into my lane like I wasn't even there. Not to mention lane splitting has become truly scary.

So the seemingly obvious solution is just buy a new pipe, but I spent over 3 hours yesterday searching the web and listening to video after video of different pipes from Two Brothers & Leo Vince to Remus & Akrapovic and simply could not settle on anything. The cheaper ones sound like trash and the pricier ones still sound less than impressive to me. Perhaps I will have to somehow hear them in person. I'd like something louder but still classy sounding like the aftermarket Corsa exhaust I put on my Audi S4 V8.

But being invisibly quiet on the street right now is bothering me so much that I want added volume ASAP. Plus I will obviously dispose of the stock pipe once I find the perfect aftermarket one for me so wrecking the stock pipe doesn't matter.

So, any suggestions or how-to guides? It seems you cant take this pipe apart like you can with the one from my Suzuki where all you had to do was take off the end cap for a ton more volume.

Thanks!

Excite-Bike screwed with this post 11-17-2014 at 05:34 PM
Excite-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Excite-Bike OP
Adventurer

One thought I had was to actually just detach the muffler from the pipe and then put some washers or nuts or spacers of some sort in between so that when its bolted back together theres a small gap between them with exhaust (and DBs) leaking out. A bit like those exhaust cutouts they used to make for muscle cars.

Excite-Bike screwed with this post 11-17-2014 at 05:23 PM
Old 11-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,998
Put a siren on it.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Excite-Bike OP
Adventurer

May I also ask that if you can think of it could you suggest what you feel is the classiest sounding louder pipe for this bike?

To me the stock exhaust sounds quiet but a LOT like a Porsche 911 or Boxtser. I very much like its overall tone and throatiness.

Actually that makes me think... What about leaving the stock pipe on but just installing an aftermarket header for higher flow?

Excite-Bike screwed with this post 11-17-2014 at 05:24 PM
Old 11-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Excite-Bike OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Put a siren on it.
When I was in Brazil earlier this year I found that the riders there would constantly beep their horns every few seconds as they lane split grid locked traffic at speed for miles.

Excite-Bike screwed with this post 11-17-2014 at 05:23 PM
Old 11-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 511
I have the Beowolf exhaust but I've seen R riders just run a straight pipe from the cat. That would probably get you some attention

Christi
Old 11-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Supertrapp.

Throw away the end cap and spacer rings and run it as a 2 inch straight through. Everyone can hear you coming.

Everyone.

I went back to standard because my hearing loss (as a grunt machine gunner) was getting worse from riding the bike.

It sounded wicked way cool. But loud. Offensively loud.
Snowy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
gnurob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Loudness as a byproduct of high performance, OK. Anything else is just making noise. Its posing to copy, and a needless annoyance to your neighborhood.
gnurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excite-Bike View Post
Going from a fairly loud DR-Z400 with a FMF Q4 pipe and PowerBomb header on it to this F650GS I am suddenly feeling dangerously invisible and have already had cars here in San Francisco commuter traffic merge into my lane like I wasn't even there. Not to mention lane splitting has become truly scary.
Hate to tell you this, but in a modern SUV we can only hear pipes when the bike is already in front of us.

We rarely go above 7 or 8 (out of 30) on the Stereo in the wife's Terrain, and between that and the sound dampening, you would have to take the headers off to be heard. I doubt that would even help in an expensive car with active sound dampening.

All the sound travels backwards, so what little goes forward is lost.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
Hate to tell you this, but in a modern SUV we can only hear pipes when the bike is already in front of us.

We rarely go above 7 or 8 (out of 30) on the Stereo in the wife's Terrain, and between that and the sound dampening, you would have to take the headers off to be heard. I doubt that would even help in an expensive car with active sound dampening.

All the sound travels backwards, so what little goes forward is lost.
Yes, yes, yes.

Fuck loud pipes, learn how to predict traffic patterns and ride actively.
dustin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
Excite-Bike OP
Adventurer

Ah, so then both me and my girlfriend clearly noticing that suddenly nobody hears me coming and having at least two incidents of cars cutting me off or merging into my lane since getting this bike is all in both of our imaginations. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess all those cars that would part like the red sea when I was lane splitting on the modded DRZ were just swerving with the music. Lol

Excite-Bike screwed with this post 11-17-2014 at 09:29 PM
Old 11-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #12
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excite-Bike View Post
Is there a how-to somewhere for drilling out the exhaust for more volume?
Start drilling holes at the header pipe and work your way back, you will also save weight

I pulled the rear off the stock can on my Tenere, drilled a bunch of holes then bought aftermarket...

(don't drill the header pipes I was joking ;) )
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
Excite-Bike OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Supertrapp.
Hey, that one does sound pretty good, thanks.
I think my main beef with most of the the aftermarket pipes is the "deeper" tone which this one doesn't seem to have.
Oh and also many of them seem like they are too loud. Anyone do any DB tests and make a list of the popular brands?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijymUQV191E
Old 11-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
Excite-Bike OP
Adventurer

Nobody liked my idea of keeping the stock pipe I like the tone of but replacing the header with a freer flowing one?
Old 11-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
Excite-Bike OP
Adventurer

Stock DRZ400 = 82 db
FMF Q4 pipe = 96 db

Stock F650GS = 87 db
Super Trapp = 92 db

That seems just right. But i cant seem to find more than just the one video though. Anyone know where I can hear some other sounds clips?

Thanks.