User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
LVGS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Antigravity Battery - 12 vs. 16 cell

I would like to replace my existing (and failing) OEM battery with a lithium. Based on reading about the various brands, availability and pricing, I have narrowed it down to the Antigravity batteries.

Based on their website, there are two available for the F800GS in the OEM form factor:

1. YTX12 - 12 cell battery (http://antigravitybatteries.com/ytx12-12/)
2. YTX12 - 16 cell battery (http://antigravitybatteries.com/ytx12-16/)

While the website describes the technical differences well, I was hoping for some feedback from other inmates re: real world experience.

Based on what I've read, the benefits of the 16 cell over 12 cell include better cold weather starting and greater capacity to carry anciliary devices e.g. GPS, heated gear, etc. Is that the case? Is it worth the extra weight and cost to go up to a 16 cell? Any disadvantages?

Also, I understand that all lithiums (not just Antigravity batteries) need to be 'woken up' before turning the engine over. What does this mean in practical terms?

Any thoughts? Thanks.
LVGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
I can't remember if I got the 12 or the 16, but I suspect it's the 16 as I had trouble previously with a marginal Shorai.
Here in the Okanagan it doesn't get wickedly cold so the results should be abut the same for you. Anytime the temps go down to below 3c I find I have to leave the high beam on for 5 minutes or so to help warm the battery before it will crank properly. Sometimes it still just cranks for a second and then disengages, clicks and starts cranking again. Eventually the revolutions speed up and the bike starts up but it is a bit of dicking around to get it to go. The lithium batteries have a huge weight savings and seem to crank over an engine faster when they're warm than a similar lead acid. I've also had mine sitting for a couple or 3 months at a time and there's no problem with self discharge over that period. If you like to ride a lot in near freezing temperatures I would stick with a conventional battery, otherwise go for the biggest lithium you can stick in there and you should have no problems with it.
Bayner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,904
There is a huge tread on this in this forum and the lead discussion over in the Garage thread about batteries and types and what is and is not working well. You would need the 16 for this bike. Get one that fits the 800GS.