ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #61
vanbc
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 12
Thanks for this great thread. I'm currently seeking a source for a clutch kit (Washington/BC area). Just wanted to make a small comment and that is I saw a video of a guy changing clutch plates on youtube and he used a magnet and a pick to take the rings out. Not sure why he just didn't use 2 magnets? Mind you he did have the bike laying at a 45 deg angle. Thanks again. Recommended source for a kit would be appreciated.
vanbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #62
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
I have not had dealings with any of these guys, but got their name somewhere:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

http://www.bikebandit.com/2010-bmw-f...0814#sch692892

Note that over the years BMW has modified some of the parts in the clutch assembly..
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #63
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Interior BC, Canada
Oddometer: 929
Thanks to all for the clutch change instructions. So easy, even I was able to do it.

Had some clutch slippage when I was in Mexico but was able to baby it back home (BC) and did the replacement in my garage which was better than the side of the road. Now that I have done it, could do it again on the side of the road.

Bought the parts from Sierra BMW online. Good folks to deal with - the parts guy found both old and new numbered parts in the BMW system and made sure I received the new ones.
__________________
Geezer Goes to the Beech - A short trip to Mexico (Current Trip)
South America by Geezer
Mexico by Geezer
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #64
Lost Rider OP
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California
Oddometer: 3,061
It's great to see this thread still coming along and helping folks out. The power of ADVrider.


I will add in these guys for a good source for parts, it's a big shop and they stock a lot of stuff.

http://www.ascycles.com/
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #65
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
It's great to see this thread still coming along and helping folks out. The power of ADVrider.


I will add in these guys for a good source for parts, it's a big shop and they stock a lot of stuff.

http://www.ascycles.com/
Hey ChiTown!
I was just wondering what you were up to this morning!
Are you working on any new adventures, or are you on the Roadie circuit these days?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #66
Lost Rider OP
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California
Oddometer: 3,061
Howdy JR!

I'm currently gigging, getting ready to bounce around on tour and hopefully make some to time to get LOST when it's over.
At least I was able to ride to rehearsals.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #67
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Howdy JR!

I'm currently gigging, getting ready to bounce around on tour and hopefully make some to time to get LOST when it's over.
At least I was able to ride to rehearsals.
Excellent! Glad all is well and the odometer is ticking on up!

I hope to be trekking to my old stomping grounds - Key West - at the end of the month.
So far it seems to have been 10 - 15 degrees or so hotter here in the mid-Atlantic than it has been in the Keys....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #68
vanbc
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Thanks to all for the clutch change instructions. So easy, even I was able to do it.

Had some clutch slippage when I was in Mexico but was able to baby it back home (BC) and did the replacement in my garage which was better than the side of the road. Now that I have done it, could do it again on the side of the road.

Bought the parts from Sierra BMW online. Good folks to deal with - the parts guy found both old and new numbered parts in the BMW system and made sure I received the new ones.
I'm biting the bullet and getting the kit from our local yokel. After tickling his ears on "the newer kit" (mentioned in this thread but not spilling the source) I am now being offered a 25% discount. Do I take the discount? May be trading/selling the bike next year. Thanks!
vanbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #69
mitchapalooza
Rider is Air-cooled
 
mitchapalooza's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Bethesda, MD
Oddometer: 93
Ok, did any of you happen to suffer from the symptoms described in the thread below?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806022

My clutch isn't slipping, it just feels like crap. I already put 'slack' into the cable, like, a good bit.

Hooray! Clutch!
mitchapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #70
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Interior BC, Canada
Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbc View Post
I'm biting the bullet and getting the kit from our local yokel. After tickling his ears on "the newer kit" (mentioned in this thread but not spilling the source) I am now being offered a 25% discount. Do I take the discount? May be trading/selling the bike next year. Thanks!
Don't know what the difference is between the new and old versions of the kit. I did notice the new springs seemed a bit longer and I presume do a better job of pressing the clutch pack together.

If the dealer is being upfront and offering a discount on the old version then sounds like he is being straight up with you. My impression is that the new kit is supposed to last longer than the old one and both will do the job for the time being.
__________________
Geezer Goes to the Beech - A short trip to Mexico (Current Trip)
South America by Geezer
Mexico by Geezer
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #71
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Comments on updates here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=19

One of the common tricks in the old days (and probably still is ...) was to put a washer or two of the correct diameter at the bottom of the wells under the bottom of the clutch springs thus giving them more preload and thus a bit more clamping pressure .... and requiring a bit firmer grip on the clutch lever.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #72
tommythecat
Vive ut vivas
 
tommythecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 245
Not sure I should ask here so mods, please move if necessary...

I did the procedure described here with a friend of mine who is a pretty solid mechanic. I am a total noob but willing to learn.

The procedure went well and the new clutch works great! Bites good, smooth shifts, etc. The only issue is when the bike is cold, when I first pull in the clutch after starting the bike in neutral, there is a vibration around the friction point. After one or two pulls it stops. Same thing, if I start the bike hot, no vibration...

Where did we mess up? Am I destroying my engine?

Thanks for your support guys!
__________________
Tommy the cat had many a story to tell, but it was a rare occasion such as this that he did.

2010 F800GS
tommythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #73
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
In the "old days" it was recommended that the new fiction disks be soaked in motor oil for a while before installation.... I don't remember how long you were supposed to soak them, I always let mine soak overnight ...

Did you guys soak the friction disks or put them in dry?

I honestly don't know if BMW suggests that or not, but it might be your problem...?

JRWooden screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 01:37 PM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #74
tommythecat
Vive ut vivas
 
tommythecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 245
Thanks for your reply JR!

Yes, we did soak the disks in oil all night before the surgery.
I made sure they were all covered in oil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
In the "old days" it was recommended that the new fiction disks be soaked in motor oil for a while before installation.... I don't remember how long you were supposed to soak them, I always let mine soak overnight ...

Did you guys soak the friction disks or put them in dry?

I honestly don't know if BMW suggests that or not, but it might be your problem...?
__________________
Tommy the cat had many a story to tell, but it was a rare occasion such as this that he did.

2010 F800GS
tommythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #75
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Well that was the "easy" suggestion...........

This thread might have some hints..........
The clutch design has been upgraded several times:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578782
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014