Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #46
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
I don't really know how to take this comment. I am Mr. Fuckin sunshine and light, Dammit.

But seriously, a little food poisoning will take the wind out of yer sails pretty quick, anywhere.
I have no doubts about the sunshine and light business, but you'd have to be the unluckiest bugger on two wheels. Great riding attitude though. You're like me - find a track and see where it'll get you. Can't say I'm a big fan of GPS's, compared to a map, but they certainly add to the adventure. Keep up the good work, mate. If you ever get to South Oz make sure you let me know and I'll organise a great run.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #47
HeadTrauma
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer: 1,260
As they say, if it wasn't for bad luck, you would have no luck at all.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #48
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
There were more great views. Yadda yadda Yadda, Yawn boring

Some slightly belligerent cows. They were blocking the road just standing there looking at me, so I gave em a little BBRRRAAaaPPPP! from the Mighty Husky and the Leo Vince Tailpipe and they ran across the road and started looking at me a little more nervously

I passed the danger helicopter (as featured in LittleWan's Great RR.)

I was on a great road, and the Garmin told me to turn left ahead, but I spaced it, and passed the spot. Then Garmin recalculated, I never could find the original trail again.
THe road I was on petered out again.

And then petered out some more

I went over that log, but down the road a bit it petered out again.
Same crap, different day.

The GPS routed me on 395 for 20 or so miles. Before I got to Dale, It put me on NF55, which was a dirt superhighway.

I came upon a couple trucks, one guy pulled over for me right away, but 'leader' was doing like 25 and swerving like a madman taking up every inch of the road. I followed behind with my HIDs on high (you cannot ignore them, even in daylight) but he just wasn't paying any attention to his rear view. I bumped it up to 60 and flew by him on the outside of a right turn in a full power slide. The right turn turned into a left right when I passed him, he was already drifting left into me when I passed.

I did my best fool forward dirt tracker maneuver and gunned it a bit more.
Pretty sure I scared the crap out of him, and probably painted his hood with pebbles as I roosted by him.

I do love the big husky sometimes

I was super tired, It was only like 2 but I decided that THIS TIME I was going to quit early and just setup camp. And Dang it, I was gonna fish a little if it killed me!I found a nice spot by a river and thought about just stopping here.

I decided to ride till like 4, grab some grub and have a nice relaxing camp. Third time is charm, today I'm [size=]really[/size] gonna do it!

I went pretty far, and then decided I was getting low on gas, so I backtracked a few miles and got gas in Granite. But, again, like an idiot I didn't buy beer. I did grab an Ice Cream cone and ate it as I was filling up. I talked to a guy at the pump who was filling up his UTV to go bow hunting.

He was telling me how many cougars were around this year. Neat I dunno, maybe it freaked me out a little bit, since I'm still pretty novice at this camping thing. I'm not really afraid of Bears, at least not in CA/OR/WA but Cougars on the other hand…

I spent a fair amount of time trying to fix this gate after I opened it, got out the leatherman and tried to re-wrap the tension stick, but the whole fence was kinda falling down.

Today was really frustrating, and I guess it's apparent because I didn't really stop to take any pictures.

Once again I found myself riding late, and I was not near any water at all

All I wanted was a campground with a little water

The OBCDR waypoints listed a NF campground a little bit the wrong way up highway 26.(obcdr5337A1)

So I decided to call it a day and headed up there on the slab. Even now, using google earth, google maps, basecamp and roadtrip, I can't really find the names of these places. I feel pretty retarded.

Anyway, I got to the campground, picked out a nice spot, and decided to fill up my camelback from the tap before I unloaded. Thank goodness I did, because the only damned faucet was broken. Another camper told me the ranger said there was no running water in the camp at all.

When I went to go pay, my debit card didn't work. Hmmm, that's not good. Not good at all. I really hand't been paying attention, but I thought I should have a couple hundred in the account. Hmm, no cell coverage, so I could;t check it (again)

I told him all I wanted was some damned water, and to maybe go fishin a little

He said 'lake unity' had fishing, and that I could at least find on the garmin so off I went.

While on the slab I was bored and zoomed out the GPS a bit and got really frustrated with what crappy progress South I'd made. I decided that I hated these perfectly graded gravel roads. I REALLY hated the hundreds of miles of slab I'd ridden, and I decided I just was not having fun on this trip. So I was gonna camp, fish, and go home the next day.

I got to Unity lake campground, and now I was in full spinster mode because I only had $100 on me. THey wanted $20 for a campsite! I was just broken. And I was WAY too tired to keep riding, and it was getting late. But I just could't do it. There's just no way I could pay $20 for a piece of grass. The camp host came over and I asked if they had any $40 cabin's available, and they said they did, so I decided the hell with it, I'll text my tenant in the AM and have him deposit the $200 he owed me into my account And I'd be golden.

After I put the $40 into the box, the host mentioned they had $5 sites with no electricity for hikers and bikers I could have killed the guy, seriously.

Whatever, so I dumped the bags off the bike and headed into Unity for gas & dinner. When I got there, I thought i was so screwed.

It's really weird how you can't really see anything from this spot. this looks like the entire town.

But down the road a little further was a cafe and a gas station, The cardlock was open but they were closed.

I went to the cafe and had a decent meal (but again just absolutely terrible service) Took me way longer than I wanted. My Cell still didn't work, so I could't text or call my tenant, much less actually log in to get the account number.

I headed back to the cabin and had a very stressful ride back, the bike was on fumes, and I'd left my extra fuel in the Coyote on the floor of the cabin.

Thankfully though, I made it, and as much as I wanted to I didn't have the energy to go fishin. So I headed for the shower. Turns out they were some sort of crappy solar deal, and they weren't "cold" but they weren't exactly 'warm' either. And I didn't have a towel, or at least one that wasn't covered in BBQ sauce.

It was reasonably warm outside, and when I got back to the cabin I crashed.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #49
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:
When I got there, I thought i was so screwed.

It's really weird how you can't really see anything from this spot. this looks like the entire town.

It looks like that because that's how it used to be. That was the grocery store, gas station and post office. When it closed up the town spread out.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #50
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,414
Quote:

It was reasonably warm outside, and when I got back to the cabin I crashed.
Man, this is quite the adventure. Can't wait for what's next!
Lion
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #51
darrendeep6
BMW Dirty Dozen

Oddometer: 273
Man I feel for you. Remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
darrendeep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #52
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrendeep6
Man I feel for you. Remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

All the self-made drama and stress has made me like frikken super nerd!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #53
explr
Just Stooopid

Oddometer: 168
explr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 AM   #54
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Nice pics. How do you find the fairing compared to OEM?
tmotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #55
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,692
Damn, xymo.
I should have left a couple safety cones on the OBCDR...
You really needed some lucky orange juju!

Um. Make barfing your favorite?

Seriously, though. Save the money spent on fancy BBQ grills and new tents and get yourself a Delorme PN-60. Norm is pretty kick-ass.

I know you mentioned that you wanted something tougher than sea-to-summit, but have you tried the S-t-S dry bag? We use this one for our tent (strapped outside, on a side bag) and it's plenty durable.
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #56
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
Nice pics. How do you find the fairing compared to OEM?
Compared to OEM!?

I'd call the OEM fairing a flashlight, but I seriously think my LED Camping headlamp is brighter. The comparison is not fair to flashlights.

My Lynx has the Dual HID option, and it is without exaggeration the brightest light I've ever seen. I rode to mexico and it was easily the brightest one our of 11 other guys.

Now, that said, the lynx is expensive $ 600 or so. I got mine used, so not too bad. It's fiberglass, which is well made but still a bit fragile. I've broken the headlight mounts twice, and I put a massive crack in the top of it.

However, since its fiberglass, it's also easily repairable. I used a glass repair kit & white gel coat from west marine and it looks surprisingly decent.

The Lexan windshield on the lynx is very nice, but I've broken two of those as well @ $50 a pop.

The HID ballasts make kind of a tight fit with the wiring harness, in my next post I'll talk about this a little bit.

I've seen the Acerbis, the Uptite LED and the trailteck Halogen in real-life use.

I'd rate the Acerbis as the value buy. It has decent light and looks pretty good on the 610, and it's very reasonably priced.

The Uptite LED is the racer performance one, it's lightest, and smallest and uses like no power. It also comes off the bike easily and has a cord so you can use it for trailside repairs which is pretty slick. It's bright, though I personally didn't like the color of the light and compared to my warmer yellower HID I had a hard time seeing it in Baja at high speed (I later got a bluer HID bulb though, and you do get used to it.)

The owner of that bike had no such problems and was still faster than me, but we were WAY faster than everyone else, and most of them complained of visibility problems riding at night. With the HID riding in Baja at night, at high speed was one of the funnest things I've ever done. It's transformed night riding from something I dread to something I actually like or even prefer.

But I have to say, for the money, if I were to do it again I would get a single 8" race light like the trailtech or Baja Designs. They are insanely bright, and very tough, look good and decently priced.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #57
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

the next morning, I decided to take stock of my situation and figure out some crap.

I discovered the cause of most of my troubles right away:

4 days down, Only 6 years 361 days of bad luck left to go!

The weird thing about it was I have NO IDEA how I broke it. It was folded into the guard, and it survived my one big left hand slide. I think I must have hit a branch really hard or something

Crap, I just remembered this is the second one I broke, 13 years and change. Make bad luck my favorite!

I decided to put this ride out of my misery and slab it back home. I lost the strap for my alaska sheepskin 2 bikes ago, so I wedged it under the tank bag & bungied it down a bit better so I could stand without it blowing away.

The Coyote was moving around a bit, so I whipped out my Leatherman model custom motorcycle modification tool and 'upgraded' my fender.

The Giant loop bag was moving a bit, because the fender was torn where it attaches to the bike. I've also had some 'issues' with my bike's posterior I've broken these metal fingers off the subframe TWICE. I may come to regret attaching the über-strong Coyote Bag(s) to this part of the husky.

The hooks now attach directly to the subframe.

My fiberglass repair to the Lynx fairing was holding up great, but one of the screws had vibrated loose (losing the handle) so I tightened it back up with a bolt.

My "new" H.I.D. lightbulb crapped out. Same place as the last one. (duh)
I guess I should have investigated 'why' the last one died rather than just spending $40 for a new one
There's not a lot of room in back, the wire gets squished against the main wiring harness by the headstock, and then this starts to arc. I taped it up with electrical tape (taped the other one as a precaution as well.)

The bike ran pretty good yesterday, so I decided not to mess with the air filter. Aaron's bike maintenance 101:. Ignore it and it will fix itself. If not throw it against a rock a few times... If that doesn't work, fix it half-assed to save a couple bucks, and if you REALLY get stuck, then pay extra to fix the half-assed mess you made and then spend more do it right the second time.

Looking at the GPS, I decided that Unity is really in the middle of BFE. It seemed like Seattle was only like 4-5 hours, and I mean I did have ALL day. The OBCDR seemed to go generally west directly towards 395, so I decided to just do an hour or two more dirt, since I was here and all, and then just slab home.

I wasn't too impressed with the cafe, so I passed on that thinking I'd hit a Mc.D's in a couple hours...
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 09-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #58
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, So I was over this OBCDR crap. I RELUCTANTLY decided to do one last section because it seemed like a pretty direct route to the East.

Boy am I glad I did

The road was a BLAST. Still moist from rain, awesome traction, no dust. (so sorry not a lot of pictures... too much fun)

I came around a corner, and startled a possum.

This little guy ran...

And Ran.

And Ran.

And just kept running down the road. I even had time to grab the camera, turn it on and take a picture

Garmin said turn left, so I open gate and go through.

Next Garmin Say: "when Possible, make a Legal U turn"
Ha HA, Garmin bery bery funny.

SO I go back through the same gate

Aaron say:

I was just really enjoying myself, and the road had a few challenging bits, some BIG mud puddles, a few smaller ones I hit at speed. There were a couple wheelies, there were power slides, it was just a really good time. And I thought "I wonder why I haven't had ANY water crossings!

I came over the top of a hill descended into this... OH, My!

Ok, I had been carting this fishing rod around for days. But, I really didn't feel like stopping, I just wanted to go home. I forgot the damned reel and had to stop and BUY a new one. Then I saw a trout splash in the water and it was decided. I was gonna fish on this trip if it killed me. I was hungry too, so I decided maybe I'd have fish for lunch.

Of course, I couldn't find the fishing stuff, so I had to dig deep to get it.
It was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L so I decided to go all out & put on shorts and flip-flops. I basically unpacked EVERYTHING

The whole meadow had thousands of these little butterfly moths flying around

I should add that it's easily been ten or more years since I've been trout fishing. I've been living on the ocean, trolling around with outriggers and downriggers! My casting skillz was a bit rusty. (sucked) I fished for about twenty minutes and then lost my rooster tail in some rocks.

Whatever! I was wearing proper 'gear' so I waded in after it. HO-LEE'SHt! was that water Cold!!! My Camera was dirty, and supposedly waterproof, so I got a twofer taking this picture.

Was only the first of many, I got the lure stuck in a tree on the other side of the river. I got it stuck on another rock. I got it wrapped around a log. After 30 minutes, The lure had hit water a handful of times.

So I decided to take off & go home.

So I did one 'last' cast & just then a trout went after one of those moths. Damn, now my O.C.D. kicks into high gear, AGAIN and I gotta git me a damned fish!

Hmm, so I fished another 20 min or so. Nada. (My A.D.D. and patience for fishing do not play well together)

So again I decided to take off. And just then I SWEAR I got a bite. But I didn't set the hook. Really! I swear! I was pissed. I knew at the time there was no way you FF's were gonna believe me. But it happened. It was a giant fish too! The one that got away.

I decided the fish in this river were just overfed and not hungry.

But I decided to fish even LONGER, I was determined to have fish for lunch!

And I did!
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #59
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

OH, I forgot, this also happened:

BAM!
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #60
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:
BAM!

Noice!!!

I hope you ate him. Oh wait, you'd probably choke to death on a bone..stick to the pouch fish, plenty tasty.