Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
curly1 OP
Persistent itch

Oddometer: 16
Road surfaces for Donohue and Plenty highways.

Hello all.
Just wondering if anyone can tell me the road surfaces for the Donohue and Plenty highways from Boulia to the Stuart Highway.
Soft sand and bulldust or harder packed gravel and rocks?
Also William Creek road and Oodnadatta track from Coober Pedy to Lyndhurst via William Creek and Marree.
Got a bit of time off coming up and looking at going out that way but undecided what bike to take.
Don't really feel like wrestling a fully loaded DR650 through soft sand on my own but on the other hand I'll have to take spare fuel if I take the WR250R and that's a right P.I.T.A.
Cheers.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:32 AM   #2
Checkmate3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Bit of everything really (Plenty Hwy) like a lot of outback roads. Sections of deeper soft stuff with ruts and corrugations, sections where you can cruise along at 110. The odd patch of bull dust, usually easy enough to see, mind you this was last August, don't know what the wet season has done to it if anything.
FWIW, I rode it on loaded a KLR, mates had similarly loaded Tenere, Husky and KLX, only frightened myself a couple of times.

iddy
Checkmate3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:33 AM   #3
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
The Oonadata track was like a highway in places last year although a week earlier would have been muddier and much more challenging. I was on an over loaded DR and it was fine. If it hasnt rained you'll be fine for that part of your trip. My friends have just been through in a cruiser dragging a large caravan and said it was fine.

Just outside William Creek

Old 05-04-2015, 02:00 AM   #4
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,520
We went through on the way home from the OCR last year. QLD side was real good. Some sandy patches as you to through towards Jervios station. We were on a 950 & BMW F650gs single &didn't have too many moments. As always it changes from week to week & the weather will be the biggest hurdle if Huey decides to send it down

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:17 AM   #5
Lupine128
That's MR Band Aid!

Oddometer: 998
Both of them easy for a DR overloaded or not. My wife and I rode a couple of DRs along both of those a few years ago. We caught up with a road crew along the plenty and that sucked as the grader was dragging all the sand and rocks from the edges back into the middle of the road. Once we got past them onto the old shitty road surface it was corrugated but get up.a bit of speed and it was fine. Oodnadatta track was a highway except a short section just west of lyndhunst which had got wet and had huge ruts left by the trucks that were then baked in.
Both of us were fat numpty riders and Boo was 20 weeks pregnant.
Take the DR, you'll be fine.

Dropped from full Team F5 sponsorship due to family commitments.
Stupid family.
Lupine128 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:46 AM   #6
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,560
Surprised they haven't tarred the oodnadatta, it's all but ready for it. In October it was on cruise at 120 in the 4wd with the odd slow down for an obvious and minor washout.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
curly1 OP
Persistent itch

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for the replies fellas.
The DR it is!!!
Heading off mid August so might have to take the winter woollies.
Cheers.