Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 03:58 AM   #17641
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Today's report says 50-90kg. And they're in close, only about 30nm offshore. Last year it was about 55nm. Helps though that the boat can hit 40 knots clean, my boats a bit like the 950, can easily lose crew overboard if I nail it. Could ski behind it if you like skiing over a big wake, thing'd probably pull half a football team out of a deep water start... Seem to be some bigger fish south so by the time you clear customs they may have made their way up here.
What are you fishing out of nowadays, James?

I'd like to have a go at Bluefin one day. Won't be this year but I'd love to at some stage. We have had some great days on the smaller Tuna - Yellowfin, Albacore, Striped Tuna etc. But nothing big. One of these days.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 AM   #17642
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,974
240 outrage. Got your bag packed? Monday looks right weatherwise.

Wanted to get a bigger boat but the way business has been over the last 6 months its another year's project.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:05 AM   #17643
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,436
Quote:
240 outrage.

Wanted to get a bigger boat but the way business has been over the last 6 months its another year's project.
What's on the back...? 2 x V6's merc's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 AM   #17644
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
240 outrage. Got your bag packed? Monday looks right weatherwise.

Haha, I'd love to but my year is already fully booked so unfortunately, I'm stuck here.

I'm not familiar with the Outrage 240 - I've been away from boats for a few years with other things happening. You got a picture of it handy? :wink
Old 07-15-2014, 04:09 AM   #17645
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
What's on the back...? 2 x V6's merc's?
Twin 150 optis.

Pic of my boat here, not me in it. It's a boston whaler nev, great boats.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Old 07-15-2014, 04:14 AM   #17646
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,436
Quote:
Twin 150 optis.

Yep... that'd pull up a skier or few now worries... throw a bit lumpier wake than this though...

Good luck with the fishin'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:16 AM   #17647
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Twin 150 optis.

VERY, very nice.

They come with a great reputation for it's sea handling and all round fishing ability. Heading offshore in one of those for the day is almost cheating.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:27 AM   #17648
Mouse
I'm only smelly

A certain local happened to be towing his whaler behind something rather big out off Vanuatu and they went through a wave and the tow rope parted, it was a bit rough so they didnt turn round to fetch it. About 6-9 months later Coffs Harbour water police told him to come fetch his boat as it'd drifted in to the shipping lanes.

Can't sink the buggers nev. if I was a Melbourne lad and wanted a good weather bay toy the classic 13' whaler is hard to beat, I've been out wide of Phillip island in one on a very rough day, we chased the pilot boat out of flinders and I'd be comfortable that it'd cope with any day you'd want to be out on the bay. I'm on my second whaler, the last was a 19 outrage 1996 model, trev got to spend a bit of time in the last one.

Troy, yeah given it draws about 20" for a 24' boat it runs a fair pressure wave and wake. Does weigh about 2.5t though and holds 580L of fuel, gives me a range of about 300nm tho. Time proven burn is about a km a litre.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:39 AM   #17649
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
A certain local happened to be towing his whaler behind something rather big out off Vanuatu and they went through a wave and the tow rope parted, it was a bit rough so they didnt turn round to fetch it. About 6-9 months later Coffs Harbour water police told him to come fetch his boat as it'd drifted in to the shipping lanes.

Can't sink the buggers nev. if I was a Melbourne lad and wanted a good weather bay toy the classic 13' whaler is hard to beat, I've been out wide of Phillip island in one on a very rough day, we chased the pilot boat out of flinders and I'd be comfortable that it'd cope with any day you'd want to be out on the bay. I'm on my second whaler, the last was a 19 outrage 1996 model, trev got to spend a bit of time in the last one.

Troy, yeah given it draws about 20" for a 24' boat it runs a fair pressure wave and wake. Does weigh about 2.5t though and holds 580L of fuel, gives me a range of about 300nm tho. Time proven burn is about a km a litre.
I've had this for over 15 Years. I think i'll re-power it with a 225/250 Suzuki and then keep it for another 10 years. It might be an old design but its still a great boat.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:50 AM   #17650
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Indeed it is. Without wanting to sound like an ad whaler build tough boats properly, things work and keep working, everything is where it should be, fittings are of great quality, wiring is done correctly etc, you don't spend all your spare time fixing things.

Yet to see an oz boat with outboards that comes anywhere near one for quality. I am hard on a boat, my last foray offshore was nigh on 380km given I fished close to 70nm off barrenjoey

Nev, I'd have that toy out off Portland for sbt in a flash. Where do you fish to be getting yellowfin etc? Been a few yellowfin up here close to the 100kg mark coincidentally.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:05 AM   #17651
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Indeed it is. Without wanting to sound like an ad whaler build tough boats properly, things work and keep working, everything is where it should be, fittings are of great quality, wiring is done correctly etc, you don't spend all your spare time fixing things.

Yet to see an oz boat with outboards that comes anywhere near one for quality. I am hard on a boat, my last foray offshore was nigh on 380km given I fished close to 70nm off barrenjoey

Nev, I'd have that toy out off Portland for sbt in a flash. Where do you fish to be getting yellowfin etc? Been a few yellowfin up here close to the 100kg mark coincidentally.
The Whalers are a beautiful boat, no doubt about it. Every boat test i've read and every person i've spoken to that has owned/fished out of one has had nothing but praise for them.

Mine has sat in a shed for the last 3 years pretty much untouched. Other commitments have taken priority at the moment but I am looking forward to getting back out in it when the time is right. Realistically, i'd guess it won't be getting wet for another 2 - 3 years but its there when I need it.

We fished out of Bermagui for the Tuna in May back in the day when the Tuna turned up. Kingfish off Montague Island was always a great way to fill in the day and we hooked some Marlin off Kiama but never landed one. Mostly fished Port Welshpool for Snapper and Gummy Shark as it was local and fitted into the weekends we had available.

Keep us posted if/when you do get out. I'd be keen to see how you get on with the Bluefin.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #17652
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,106
Quote:
I'm on my second whaler, the last was a 19 outrage 1996 model, trev got to spend a bit of time in the last one.
As soon as you said Boston Whaler I remembered you heaping glowing praise on them.

But I don't know bugger all about boats so I can't comment.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #17653
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,417
Muscle cars, fast muscle cars

Come on, we all love a good muscle car right?
I wouldn't mind having both of these in my garage.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #17654
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
Come on, we all love a good muscle car right?
I wouldn't mind having both of these in my garage.

Faaaaark!

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #17655
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,440
Who built Henry Ford's cars ?

why, Dodge Brothers of course !

and they were still building his, while building their own

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote