User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #91
Dee-4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
news flash..

Thank you Lee for that expert analysis of my charactor deficencies, you have shown me the value of further education to improve my understanding of "How life works".

Seeing as you appear to be a touch sensitive, I will try to break this to you gently.

1.Motorcyclists, unfortunatly, are not the most important consideration when designing mass transit systems.

2.Motorcycling has been+ always will be a risky thing, that appeals to me.

3.I know a lot more about you, courtesy of your high profile on this forum,than you know about me.Am I not in a more imformed position to make observations about you than you are to pass judgement on me?

4.No pet, you are NOT the messiah.

Just wondering, how much driving do you do, you do have a car dont you?
Im tipping ive done more miles in reverse than youve driven forward.

Cheers

Ned
Dee-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #92
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,909
Old 03-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #93
HumanOne
shows Nomadic tendencies

Oddometer: 1,248
This seems like a great idea ...

G'Day Nevmeister!

I like your (and others) thinking on this one. It is a little bit frustrating when you're reading a thread about one topic and it goes completely sideways for a while when individuals use that thread to 'catchup' and 'chew the fat' about 'what's been happening lately' midway through your reading or even continue on chatting about some other ??? topic from the previous thread they've just returned from Hijacking doing the same.

We don't want ADVrider to be too formal, clinical or overly serious at the same time but I think this little idea will certainly help tidy the rest of the threads up a bit.

I have to admit, when I first found this site back in 2005 it seemed lot more together at the time and with not as many 'naughty little school children' continually 'digging' at each other. There was always a little bit of that. And there always will be. But it seems your job as moderator is a big one, having to continually smack the back of the children's hands more and more these days.

ADVrider had a better sense of 'community' back in 05/06 and as a result I personally made a lot of great friends when I rode around in 06/07. I think it's great to see so many have stuck with the site and also that those who are more into 'Day Riding' have found a home-base for themselves on the "DBW - Dirt Bike World Forum".

Keep up the good work Nev!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #94
GTboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackers
I'm with you dude. (sorry Lee)

As soon as School Hols kick in the roads are almost deserted.
I'm in complete agreement with Ned on this one - WTF do kids have to be routinely driven to and from school these days?

I discussed this with some of my workmates and they all agree that their kids don't get their precious little shoes dirty whilst they themselves had to schlep it to school via shank's pony or deadly-treadly (as I did as well).

No wonder obesity is on the rise...

Quote:
The other thing is that most people don't realise that their food, clothes, fuel, toys - just about everything people need to conduct their lives is on those trucks.
The irony of that statement seems lost on the great unwashed.

The issue of congestion (seemingly) cause by trucks on roads isn't about the vehicle, it's about the lousy conditions they are forced to travel in, e.g. poorly-designed road network and vastly under-skilled and inconsiderate and ignorant fellow road users...

Quote:
The other thing that shits me (and I've posted this before) is the single car occupant driving to work. I used to count them on the pushy going down bridge road at Richmond into the city. Not only would I watch them come out of the sidestreets where they lived, but I would always beat them, as well as an average pedestrian. I hate car drivers due to their unpredictable driving patterns, trucks on the other hand, generally don't do stupid, last second shit.
I'm gonna have to pull you up a bit on that one.

I am a single-occupant vehicle driver. Not because I choose to be, but because I'm forced to be. As a telecommunications field tech, I have no choice but to travel to and from work in a vehicle (provided by my employer) by myself.
It's too easy to assume single-occupant vehicles are that way by individual choice.

You've only to look the number of vehicles traveling (i.e. next to none) at peak-hour in ill-conceived schemes like 'transit lanes' to see the impracticalities inherent in attempting to fill your car with your workmates...

Quote:
Oh yeah, and I hate you all.
Me too.

GTboy
Old 03-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #95
Canuck in Oz
you still here

Oddometer: 628
In Germany and other EU countries no truck are allowed on the roads on weekends. Sat 'n Sun are only for tourists, families, etc..
Canuck in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #96
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,851
shit, is this thread still going

fwiw i'd make all freeways free for all heavy vehicles (hv) and try to encourage them off suburban streets that are typically not designed for hv.

you'll complain louder when the d doubles use your street as a short cut, when the sheer mass of them tears up your roads and the councils/rta find all sorts of excuses not to patch said roads.

however while we are at such wholesale changes i'd ban pushbikes off anything that isn't a dedicated bike path or foot path (no-one else seems to use footpaths these days...)

imho pushbikes cause far more congestion and frustration than solve any other problems.

dunno bout vic but in nsw motorbikes are welome to share the bus lanes with taxis' buses and hire cars - only problem with that is you get to share then with perhaps two of the most endangering forms of transport for bike riders ever invented

and lee, get youself a ride in a nice big hv one day and get a perspective of what the truck driver needs to deal with - it'll change your thinking just a tad...

i don't think trucks cause congestion per se.

like buses they are fairly efficient forms of tranpsort for moving bulk goods/people, it is the lowly cars that are inefficient cause they are usually used to move (give or take) 100kg from here to there and most of the time cause people cannt think/plan more than 5 mintues ahead

in a hv you work had to try to maintain momentum, to predict traffic, to be rolling before the lights change cause it takes you longer to get rolling etc etc only to have some dickhead pull in front of you, rob you of your gap and then only to find him to start smsing and therefore totally miss the light change and tfu your rolling start.

i do not speed as a rule in my truck (apart from the fact it is speed limited), what i do do is maintain a very good average speed wherever possible and i get to overtake lots of people uphill as they simply cannot maintain a speed over a rolling terrain, a task which would seem pretty bloody simple. naturally same said people then spped to voertake you downhill only to repeat the same pattern all over again.

it might also be outside your ken than truck drivers are very heavily policed including a very active system of point to point speed detection, th opportunity for trucks to speed consistently is simply not there. hv penalties and subsequent fines/license suspensions would scare most car drivers off the road - for example i know one local who ost his license for 15 years for driving a semi unloaded and unlicensed, he appealed it and got 20 years...

fucking cage drivers - mostly should be sent back to school and learn how to share a road.

as for why you drive your children to school, the days of them being able to walk are pretty well long gone due, i guess, to the police spending too much resources targetting speeding and such soft easy 'crime' and not enough time actually making our neighbourhoods safe for people.

nce bait tho, lee

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #97
ADVJake
i like stuff

Oddometer: 4,328
Single persons in cars are the cause of congestion, not bicycles.
trucks need to stay in the left lane. i can't get past them when they sit in the middle lane on my bike.

With a projected size of London in a few decades, drastic changes are needed.

Make all roads transit lanes to the city during peak hour, every car needs at least 2 people. Promote motorcycling & cycling to work.
permits for couriers, taxis, trucks.

More roads arent the answer, less cars is. I'd love for this country to lessen its car culture and gets on bikes, legalise lane filtering.
But i really doubt that will happen.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #98
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake
trucks need to stay in the left lane. i can't get past them when they sit in the middle lane on my bike.
yehbut - it'd be nice if the councils relied upon any other method than hv to prune the trees along the roadside.

and using the undertaker lane is normaly best left to the fearless, it aint necesssarily a good place for a truck to be.

good traffic flow is about momentum not the current speed,stop,speed,stop routine.

speaking of london i think their idea of lowering freeway speed limits dramatically in peak hour has much merit, iirc the main ring road has a peak hour limit of 40kmh doesn't it?

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #99
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-4
Thank you Lee for that expert analysis of my charactor deficencies, you have shown me the value of further education to improve my understanding of "How life works".

Seeing as you appear to be a touch sensitive, I will try to break this to you gently.

1.Motorcyclists, unfortunatly, are not the most important consideration when designing mass transit systems.

2.Motorcycling has been+ always will be a risky thing, that appeals to me.

3.I know a lot more about you, courtesy of your high profile on this forum,than you know about me.Am I not in a more imformed position to make observations about you than you are to pass judgement on me?

4.No pet, you are NOT the messiah.

Just wondering, how much driving do you do, you do have a car dont you?
Im tipping ive done more miles in reverse than youve driven forward.

Cheers

Ned
very well put.

Shmerel screwed with this post 03-20-2010 at 08:35 PM
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #100
cmg
wannabe dirt rider

Oddometer: 292
I reckon this will turn into the "OZ Head Explody" thread

Dont like what I post? leave your comments HERE

I used to ride.....
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
, 10
cmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #101
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,934
I just took a quick spin up to Palmy and back...nasty bike crash at the bottom end of McCarrs Ck Rd

Suzuki GSXR XXX - couldn't tell what size. 2 Ambos and 3 Emergency Rescue vans. Although the bike was beside the road, it seems the rider's gone over the edge - there's a drop-off about 50' down to the creek where he's gone over.

Emergency guys had the abseiling gear out and were lowering the person board over the side.

There's some serious rocks at the bottom along there too.

carmima screwed with this post 03-20-2010 at 09:31 PM
carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #102
Russ

Oddometer: 14,439
Never good to hear this stuff, hope the rider is going to be OK.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #103
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmima
I just took a quick spin up to Palmy and back...nasty bike crash at the bottom end of McCarrs Ck Rd

Suzuki GSXR XXX - couldn't tell what size. 2 Ambos and 3 Emergency Rescue vans. Although the bike was beside the road, it seems the rider's gone over the edge - there's a drop-off about 50' down to the creek where he's gone over.

Emergency guys had the abseiling gear out and were lowering the person board over the side.

There's some serious rocks at the bottom along there too.
typical ending for a Suzuki rider

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #104
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 12,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
typical ending for a Suzuki rider
That`s a pretty fucked up comment Rod..

That could be an inmate here and your laughing about it..

Fuck I wish some people would think twice before hitting the submit button..
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #105
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64
That`s a pretty fucked up comment Rod..

That could be an inmate here and your laughing about it..

Fuck I wish some people would think twice before hitting the submit button..
Couldn't agree more

carmima is offline   Reply With Quote