Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #10501
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
You planning some long walks in the desert Nev...?

At least it'll be a good excuse to buy another "Nifty" new toy for the shed collection...

Haha, no long walkies in the desert for me thanks Troy. I'm thinking of adapting it to one of my Trials bikes so I can get rich quick while I ride.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #10502
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post
Nev your in luck Kirbs made good friends with a serial killer @ hillend last weekend who was out and about to try his hand @ gold digging or we think burying people deep enough that you couldn't detect their fillings.

and your in double luck I think he's from near Melbourne, do you want his details ?
Its OK thanks mate, I probably already have them.

That reminds me, I haven't heard anything from Clancy in a while.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #10503
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
I just watched a show on TV that was using them and thought it would be pretty cool to have a play with one. Anyone here have any experience with Metal Detectors?

Waaaayyyy back I actually built one. Worked OK. Basically it's a flash arse transformer.

But, I have the attention span of a 4 year old, and given patience is required when out looking for "stuff", it wasn't for me. I wonder what happened to that thing? Probably got left in Kalgoorlie when we moved.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #10504
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,384
Eh? Metal detector + trials bike...? Neville Attenborough (with 2 tt's FFS)

Quote:
Haha, no long walkies in the desert for me thanks Troy. I'm thinking of adapting it to one of my Trials bikes so I can get rich quick while I ride.
Ummm... okayyy...?!

So you're gonna' branch out into trials archeology eh...?

"Here fella's... by jolly... I think I've mada a find...! It's what appears to be an old SL threefiddy mammoth from the early Belstaffiscene period.

...and by George, I think there might be the remaining hulks of a couple of old series one Landroversaurs possibly in underneath as well...!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #10505
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,431
Quote:
I just watched a show on TV that was using them and thought it would be pretty cool to have a play with one. Anyone here have any experience with Metal Detectors?

I have one and find them fasinating .....

Minelab make one now that will detect a gold nugget 1.5 metres deep. It costs about $6,500.00

Do your homework before you buy ! Some detectors weren't intended for beach use - sodium gives a false reading

and others are better for the east coast because in the west there is a lot of iron-ore in the ground .....

happy hunting

Phil_Fong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 AM   #10506
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Thumb Minelab's, yes please put me down for one...

I know of a retired couple that are constantly traveling and they will never give away their lucky sites where they seem to be making a killing finding enough gold to fund their travels all the time plus some. From memory Phil they had purchased those new Minelab's and could not believe the difference in their gains. They were a bit concerned about the initial outlay but I think they have already paid for themselves and over.
Now, all I have to do is get those great sites out of them....
Johnnie
Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #10507
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by obe01 View Post
I know of a retired couple that are constantly traveling and they will never give away their lucky sites where they seem to be making a killing finding enough gold to fund their travels all the time plus some. From memory Phil they had purchased those new Minelab's and could not believe the difference in their gains. They were a bit concerned about the initial outlay but I think they have already paid for themselves and over.
Now, all I have to do is get those great sites out of them....
Johnnie

Tibooburra.

the only place where you will find gold every day in Australia. No water for big companies and 50,000 grey nomads each winter can't be wrong.

PM me for the site near Warwick if your interested.

Phil_Fong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #10508
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,726
Back in the 80's our unit Battery Commander spent a number of weekends walking the side of the Bruce Highway north of Nambour with a mine detector after he lost the breechblock for his L1A1 SLR out of the back of a Unimog. He was cleaning it on a trip back from Wide Bay Training Area.

Didn't find it but I'm sure he entertained passing motorists on the slow trip north.

I guess the technology has improved since then.
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #10509
Morro
like a ship in the night

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Phil_Fong Yesterday 07:27 PM
Quote:
I have one and find them fasinating .....

Minelab make one now that will detect a gold nugget 1.5 metres deep. It costs about $6,500.00

Do your homework before you buy ! Some detectors weren't intended for beach use - sodium gives a false reading

and others are better for the east coast because in the west there is a lot of iron-ore in the ground .....

happy hunting
I used to use them for looking for survey marks. The Minelabs units (Australian made too) we had had a discriminate switch to look for non ferrous metal such as brass and stainless steel (and other metals such as gold). They worked fine but still got a signal if a lot of steel around. The main trick in these was to be constantly sweeping with them and when you get a signal it dies down as it goes over the actual object.

Morro
Morro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #10510
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Eh? VIC Liquor Licensing Advice

Hey y'all, I'm trying to get a liquor license put through the VCGLR and have been having some issues . They've had some seriously stupid suggestions for me...so. If anyone has experience doing licensing, I'd appreciate a PM.
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #10511
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,523
Possibly old news to some, however Adam Plate from the Pink Roadhouse died during last Friday's Targa Adelaide stages. Linky.
Adam was a well known, long standing member of the Oodnadatta and districts community. He built the famous business from the ground up with dedication and determination. He also ran an outback recovery and freight haulage business. His wife, Lynnie, who is the day to day life of the roadhouse and her family are strong people. Travellers through the township should show respect for his passing by not mentioning his first name in conversation with any of the Aboriginal locals, as their culture requires this. His passing will be mourned for a long time.
My deepest sympathies are extended to his family, friends and the people of the district.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #10512
NoHillsNoTrees
mostly upright

Oddometer: 180
Fathers Day

Should be a change from socks anyway....!
NoHillsNoTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #10513
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Diesel Fuel Quality - are all brands much the same?

O'h no.... not another bloody oil thread...

My latest car is a turbo diesel, the first diesel I've owned. Does anyone know whether the grade/quality from the major brands is much the same or whether some are better than others?

Thanks,
Rus
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #10514
OzJuJu
Team Barracuda

Oddometer: 748
I get obvious better economy from the BP ultimate diesel. About 40ks per tank
Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #10515
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post
O'h no.... not another bloody oil thread...

My latest car is a turbo diesel, the first diesel I've owned. Does anyone know whether the grade/quality from the major brands is much the same or whether some are better than others?

Thanks,
Rus
For the most part the major brands will give similar performance. That said, I avoid Woolies diesel after repeated awful fuel from their servo in Wellington NSW. Economy drops by about 30% yes, that much! Pathetic performance to with it. Caltex without the Woolies connection is fine. I have a Ford Ranger and a Nissan Pathfinder.