Yeah, mighty boys go hard!

sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #11297
Beet
adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKS-Man View Post
2WD or 4WD? Diesel or petrol, or no preference? Single cab, extra/king cab or dual cab?
good point - single or double, petrol or diesel yes, but 2 wheel drive i recon to save on fuel and tyres. Thanks
Beet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #11298
Dave Ward
Not enough riding...

Oddometer: 1,653
Here ya go Beet. FWD, bench seat, low tray height with plenty of room.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #11299
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,499
http://www.suv.net.au/suv_in_stock.html

Grab a Challanger too
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #11300
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,515
Tray top's are a lot easier to find in this neck o the woods , Can't beet ( ) a hilux diesel for economy provided you are not intending to exceed the posted speed limit every where you go .

If you want to do the 10 kph over jobbie every where , get a petrol 4 cyl ute from one of the Japanese manufacturers , there all pretty similar but Mitsubishi seem to have the keenest pricing .
Old 12-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #11301
LeighSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ward View Post
Here ya go Beet. FWD, bench seat, low tray height with plenty of room.

Great ute the Austin 1800, worth big bucks now, couldn't give 'em away when they were new

Triumph Tiger 900 Solo

Triumph Tiger 900 Sidecar
LeighSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #11302
richo360
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I recently got myself a new BT dual cab, auto.
It's sweeeeeeet. Easy to drive, heaps of power, and the auto is the cream on the cake. These new diesel auto combinations are the ducks.
I did 1000kms in a day 2 weeks back, averaged 7.4l per 100. All round over 8000ks so far, it's about 9.1 and I don't drive it easy and it does some towing too.

I did drive a extra cab 2wd model when mine was in for a service, it was a rocket by comparison ( that's saying something) and I believe better on juice again.

Btw, bt50= ford ranger. Same production line, but Ford is dearer.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #11303
barra
trying to get there

Oddometer: 1,331
Don't kid ya self . The only trayback, wellback, 2 or 4wd is a hilux or cruiser. I've had them for years and that's all they drive in the mines. All the others are just poofy city jobs.
barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #11304
eieio
n00b

Oddometer: 9
+1 for Hilux
I have a "07 2wd 4.0 V6 running on injected gas, very economical,a s..tload of Torque (343nm) and extremely reliable.
I've owned Falcon and Commodore utes and while they are comfortable and fast, compared to the Hilux they are flimsy and unreliable.Glorified Taxis indeed.

Good luck with your search
Andy
eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #11305
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818

Question to the Hilux advocates:

Have you guys heard about the fuel problems that can cause the engine to (essentially) grenade? I have heard of a couple of locals who have, for whatever reason, had the engine in their late model hilux fail, with no warranty. One says it was a "batch of bad fuel", another said something about "biofuel".

One fellow in particular (who has always driven Hilux's since they were introduced) has sworn off them and actively goes around telling people his story. He also had repeated problems with driveshafts, the clutch and a myriad of other things I don't recall.

I always thought the Hilux was the premium vehicle in that class... lately I'm not so sure.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Nissan Navara 4X4... if it is as good as my Pathfinder I'll be happy.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #11306
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKS-Man View Post

Question to the Hilux advocates:

Have you guys heard about the fuel problems that can cause the engine to (essentially) grenade? I have heard of a couple of locals who have, for whatever reason, had the engine in their late model hilux fail, with no warranty. One says it was a "batch of bad fuel", another said something about "biofuel".

One fellow in particular (who has always driven Hilux's since they were introduced) has sworn off them and actively goes around telling people his story. He also had repeated problems with driveshafts, the clutch and a myriad of other things I don't recall.

I always thought the Hilux was the premium vehicle in that class... lately I'm not so sure.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Nissan Navara 4X4... if it is as good as my Pathfinder I'll be happy.

Yeah. I'm with your mate. Had a 2.8, it was ' unbreakable'. Then had 3.0, same only betterer! But the latest series are a bucket of shit. Overrated, and waaaaay overpriced. I've got a Ranger Space Cab, which is ok, and hauls arse, but I don't do a lot of k's these days. I'd look for a good low k 3.0 litre well body Hi Lux. Ya never know, you might get lucky....

( oh yeah, I work on mine sites, so I see what works, and for how long.)
Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #11307
eieio
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Navara...Good luck with that, last Friday's herald sun had a letter from a Navara owner whose new vehicle had broken in half (chassis), and the Navara features almost weekly in that publication with letters from owners who have engine problems, almost as many letters as Ford owners...Almost.

I've heard of the latest model Hilux Diesels with Injector/bad fuel dramas in D4d's, personally I wouldn't have a Diesel as in my opinion any fuel saving you encounter will be offset with high Maintenance costs and if a Diesel lunches its engine, Lookout, the repair cost will be massive.

My Hilux is manual and I have had no problems with the clutch,although I've heard it said that the Hilux clutch is a tad weak, if you're worried about it, get a slush box.

A good forum to look at regarding Hiluxs is, Newhilux.net . (don't know how to set up a link) If theres a problem with them it will appear on this forum.
eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #11308
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,635

'86 2litre petrol 2WD, 430,000kms & the head has never been off it!, getting a bit tired though,
bit like an old Labrador - faithful but a bit smelly
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #11309
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,533
There are so many guys I know who used to love their Hilux,s, I said used to, now they all drive Navara's!

I wonder why that is!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #11310
rmarmbruster
Roba

Oddometer: 160
There's the ute you need.

Cheers

Rob A.