gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #11312
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKS-Man View Post

Question to the Hilux advocates:

Have you guys heard about the fuel problems that can cause the engine to (essentially) grenade? I have heard of a couple of locals who have, for whatever reason, had the engine in their late model hilux fail, with no warranty. One says it was a "batch of bad fuel", another said something about "biofuel".

One fellow in particular (who has always driven Hilux's since they were introduced) has sworn off them and actively goes around telling people his story. He also had repeated problems with driveshafts, the clutch and a myriad of other things I don't recall.

I always thought the Hilux was the premium vehicle in that class... lately I'm not so sure.
You can add steering racks to that lux fault list... at about end of warranty km . Toyota have rested on their laurels a bit too long and others have overtaken.

as a diesel mechanic I now own a petrol...

new fuel injection systems (euro IV engines) are on struggle street with our fuel quality.

long term I believe on total service/fuel costs petrol's are cheaper to run
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #11313
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,711
I bought a new dual cab 2wd high lux in 07, piece of shit warranty back up, piece of shit. Needed to wear a kidney belt it rode so rough I'm in the market for a 4wd extra cab next year and after talking to a couple of fleet managers a ranger looks on the cards same as mazda but more options for money, only don't overload them as chassis can bend which won't be a prob as DR's are light
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #11314
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
I bought a new dual cab 2wd high lux in 07, piece of shit warranty back up, piece of shit. Needed to wear a kidney belt it rode so rough I'm in the market for a 4wd extra cab next year and after talking to a couple of fleet managers a ranger looks on the cards same as mazda but more options for money, only don't overload them as chassis can bend which won't be a prob as DR's are light
The chassis bending and or breaking on the Mazda / Ford 's was supposedly fixed with the latest update , I don't know if they have or have not fixed the issue but , I am pretty sure you DON'T have to overload them to bend them , it is more about where you put the load , Simple loading fact , have most of the weight between the axles . The Mazda and Ford Extra cabs and dual cabs have a lot of load space behind the rear axles , IF you put much weight behind the rear axle and hit a decent bump or pot hole the chasis is likely to bend . I own and drive a 2006 Ford Courier Extra cab 4 X 4 2.5 Turbo Diesel , I would be very reticent to buy a later model , in any brand of Diesel , as a simple fuel issue ( water or petrol in the diesel ) repair costs about the same as a full rebuild on a petrol engine . I inadvertantly put a full tank of unleaded in mine about 12 months ago , it only cost me about $100 to fix the issue ( including the cost of the wasted petrol which I am slowly using as a parts cleaner solvent ) , a common rail high pressure Diesel would have cost more than $2000 to do the same according to the local NRMA man .
Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #11315
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,860
No words, just this...

Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #11316
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKS-Man View Post
I always thought the Hilux was the premium vehicle in that class... lately I'm not so sure.
Hilux has never been the premium vehicle in that class...though it may have been the best seller for years. Maybe it was just a good marketing campaign.
Toyota only upgraded stuff when the competition got close, otherwise they left the damn thing alone.
Not saying the Hilux was neither a good nor a bad vehicle, it was just that, a Hilux. I had 2.8 dual cab, somethings I really liked, somethings I really just learned to live with.
Would I buy another? Hmmm maybe not.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #11317
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beet View Post
Whats the best UTE - economical on fuel, tyres and maintenance to carry My sorry ass and bike(s) to venues.(would like a bench seat) remember I want a UTE not a tray top. Thanks in advance Beet
Holden FX 48-215..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #11318
stooy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
What about a dedicated LPG falcon ute? Cheap to buy and cheap run...

Depending on budget the new EcoLPI ones are awesome though the old E gas is still pretty good.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...15&sort=~Price
Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #11319
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman View Post
I own and drive a 2006 Ford Courier Extra cab 4 X 4 2.5 Turbo Diesel .

Have you done a head yet...
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #11320
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
HQ 1 tonner.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #11321
Dukehunt

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by richo360 View Post
I recently got myself a new BT dual cab, auto.
It's sweeeeeeet. Easy to drive, heaps of power, and the auto is the cream on the cake. These new diesel auto combinations are the ducks.
I did 1000kms in a day 2 weeks back, averaged 7.4l per 100. All round over 8000ks so far, it's about 9.1 and I don't drive it easy and it does some towing too.

I did drive a extra cab 2wd model when mine was in for a service, it was a rocket by comparison ( that's saying something) and I believe better on juice again.

Btw, bt50= ford ranger. Same production line, but Ford is dearer.

+1 for the BT50 great piece of kit

Dukehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #11322
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by barra View Post
Don't kid ya self . The only trayback, wellback, 2 or 4wd is a hilux or cruiser. I've had them for years and that's all they drive in the mines. All the others are just poofy city jobs.
Can I get some of what he's smoking?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #11323
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,997
I'll try and be serious for just 2 mins......for once! Utes are pretty serious things out here.

Economy: 1984-1988 Mitsi Triton, bloody awful, like 8-9km/L. Astron motor. Diesels are worse than a Rollux for grunt, and the 2.8L blow up at 180K. The 2.4L petrol are slightly better, but worth considering if they have LPG coz they're bloody tough, and have a really long, low wellbody.
!990's Navara 4WD diesels get 11km/L fully loaded (750kg and 5 adults) stting on 110kph thru hilly stuff, but don't have much left for overtaking. Wellbody's are shorter though.
3L TD Rollux in 4WD will go over 160kph easily, and also gets 11km/L fully loaded.......at a much higher cruise speed. The newer 2006-up models drive almost the same as a 100series 'Cruiser, bumps don't exist, but the loading height is over 700mm.
BT50s have a good rep for fuel economy here, especially the 2WD diesel versions, and are a proper ute with a LONG wellbody, like the good old days.

My pick however would be a 2000 model 2WD Rollux with the 2.7L petrol motor, running on gas. I've driven one around town and on the highway, they average 8km/L city, 9km/L highway ON THE GAS, which is really cheap (the one I drove had a gas-ring LPG conversion into the intake pipe before the throttle body). On petrol they get 10km/L and 12.5km/L. Tough as shit, but those 2WD models don't drive like a billycart. Plenty of balls coz they weigh less than 1200kg. Loading height less than 600mm to get the bikes up easy. Bench or buckets, A/C, P/S, it's all good.

I spose a 300kW V8 is out? They sound good but!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #11324
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 601
Seems like 'best ute' is about as agreed upon as 'best oil'.

The best rider is the one who enjoys it most.
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #11325
Russ

Oddometer: 15,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborob View Post
Seems like 'best ute' is about as agreed upon as 'best oil'.

Well said that man, and on that note off to the off topic thread we go ----->
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote