Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #11401
Red Devil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Not a good start to the new year Rob, but hopefully if you get some preventitives set up the low life thieves will pick an easier target - our unit used to get knocked off quite regularly (once or twice a year) before we bought it, and we've been done once for about $15,000 worth of stuff - all covered by insurance but it's still a pain in the ass and some of the things taken aren't replaceable. Since we've had our alarm system installed and a couple of dogs in the back yard we haven't had a problem.

In my experience it is far better to stop thieves getting to your gear in the first place, than to hope of recording them and giving the information to police after the fact, the end result most of the time even if they track down the mongrels is that your stuff is still gone and then they get a light smack on the wrist from the court. That said at least if you give the authorities some evidence and they catch the idiot, they might be able to link it to other crimes in the area.

Red Devil screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 02:39 PM Reason: Bored at work
Red Devil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #11402
Ranger Rob
Out and about...

Oddometer: 352
Hey red,
I can see that you've had the wheel stolen off your Postie!! Mongrels.

Today's a better day than yesterday. The forensic guys have come and taken DNA and fingerprints off a water bottle that the theives accidently left in my vehicle.... Duh!!

I'm now planning an 8 to 10 day ride down to the Snowys from Brissy, leaving on Sat 12th Jan.

Onwards and upwards

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Not a good start to the new year Rob, but hopefully if you get some preventitives set up the low life thieves will pick an easier target - our unit used to get knocked off quite regularly (once or twice a year) before we bought it, and we've been done once for about $15,000 worth of stuff - all covered by insurance but it's still a pain in the ass and some of the things taken aren't replaceable. Since we've had our alarm system installed and a couple of dogs in the back yard we haven't had a problem.

In my experience it is far better to stop thieves getting to your gear in the first place, than to hope of recording them and giving the information to police after the fact, the end result most of the time even if they track down the mongrels is that your stuff is still gone and then they get a light smack on the wrist from the court. That said at least if you give the authorities some evidence and they catch the idiot, they might be able to link it to other crimes in the area.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #11403
Red Devil
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Rob View Post
Hey red,
I can see that you've had the wheel stolen off your Postie!! Mongrels.

Today's a better day than yesterday. The forensic guys have come and taken DNA and fingerprints off a water bottle that the theives accidently left in my vehicle.... Duh!!

I'm now planning an 8 to 10 day ride down to the Snowys from Brissy, leaving on Sat 12th Jan.

Onwards and upwards

Rob
Lmao smartarse

Little Red Riding Hood, AKA the Titanic is undergoing some mechanical work at this time, after having the rear end lock up on her maiden voyage and nearly toss me over the side face first onto the asphalt. Not much of a mechanic but figure I needed some new brake pads and a few other odds and ends which I'm hoping will solve the issue of the rear wheel locking when brake the brake is applied. Just got to wait for the parts to arrive.. meant to come today but looks more like tomorrow at this point.

Brissy to the Snowys aye? Sounds like it would be a beaut trip - going with friends/family or just flying solo.. also, where do you put your skii's on a bike

You taking the coast road or inland? I get up from Orange to Brissy a few times a year actually, end up going through Dubbo/Coona/Goondawindi/Warick to get there.. the in laws live at Wellington Point which is a nice spot. I love Brisbane though, much nicer city than Sydney.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #11404
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,816
Quote:
Thanks Sean-O and Baillsy, and i think Phil . The reason i want to record the guys is so that i DON'T have to scalp them

I quickly worked out that the eBay stuff was 99% shit and after further research also came across the SWANN gear.

Sean-O, does yours allow you to pick-out a guys face at night time? I would love to see some recorded night time image.
I do remember you putting up that link to Dick Smith ages ago but never thought i'd need it!!

Any more input will certainly be taken on board.

Cheers,
Rob

Sometime back, an inmate started a thread in here about his bike being stolen out of his shed and he had CCV pics of the perp to show the police.
He posted the pics on here.

The thief was wearing a hoody.

I can't remember all details now but I think the police couldn't help him.

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #11405
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fong View Post
Sometime back, an inmate started a thread in here about his bike being stolen out of his shed and he had CCV pics of the perp to show the police.
He posted the pics on here.

The thief was wearing a hoody.

I can't remember all details now but I think the police couldn't help him.
Have at least one camera near ground level facing upwards, that`ll fuck the thieving bastards up.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #11406
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Have at least one camera near ground level facing upwards, that`ll fuck the thieving bastards up.

Thats where the 45-70 should be.

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #11407
Red Devil
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fong View Post
Thats where the 45-70 should be.
Birdshot has a better spread
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #11408
Ranger Rob
Out and about...

Hehehe... i had a bit of a giggle myself

Mate i will be going down to the Snowys the inland way, and then returning the "more" inland way!

I will definately going and there may be 1 or 2 more guys as well but as always, time will tell. Pretty hard to motivate some buggers.

I was going to head to Tazzie but other things conspired against that trip, so as i always wanted to cruise around the Blue Mtns and the Snowys.......... Here i go!

I hope your parts turn up and you get the bike sorted.

Rob

Quote:
Lmao smartarse

Little Red Riding Hood, AKA the Titanic is undergoing some mechanical work at this time, after having the rear end lock up on her maiden voyage and nearly toss me over the side face first onto the asphalt. Not much of a mechanic but figure I needed some new brake pads and a few other odds and ends which I'm hoping will solve the issue of the rear wheel locking when brake the brake is applied. Just got to wait for the parts to arrive.. meant to come today but looks more like tomorrow at this point.

Brissy to the Snowys aye? Sounds like it would be a beaut trip - going with friends/family or just flying solo.. also, where do you put your skii's on a bike

You taking the coast road or inland? I get up from Orange to Brissy a few times a year actually, end up going through Dubbo/Coona/Goondawindi/Warick to get there.. the in laws live at Wellington Point which is a nice spot. I love Brisbane though, much nicer city than Sydney.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #11409
Ranger Rob
Out and about...

Knife at a gunfight!!

Mossberg 12G with SG load at about 7 metres will certainly slow them up....

Quote:
Birdshot has a better spread
Old 01-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #11410
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:

Mate i will be going down to the Snowys the inland way, and then returning the "more" inland way!

I will definately going and there may be 1 or 2 more guys as well but as always, time will tell. Pretty hard to motivate some buggers.

I was going to head to Tazzie but other things conspired against that trip, so as i always wanted to cruise around the Blue Mtns and the Snowys.......... Here i go!

Rob
Just did a Brissie to Snowie trip. Fucken great time. When you planning to go?
Andy_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #11411
Red Devil
Adventurer

Quote:

Rob
Ah they'll turn up when they turn up I figure, but the sooner the better can't wait to start commuting for work on two wheels again.. though last time it was Penrith to Central on the M4, now it's just a 2.5km ride down a country road.

Hope your trip goes well, have always wanted to do tassie on a bike, it's beautiful down there.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #11412
Ranger Rob
Out and about...

Hey Andy,
Looks like i'll be leaving Friday or Saturday week (11 or 12/01/2013). Maybe just me, maybe a mate or two depending if they get their shit together.

I'm not too proud to ask for advice regarding places that are a "must see or too good to be true."
Also anything that a person non-familiar with the area should know?????

I am banking on 400km fuel range on the 990 and will basically keep it topped up as much as possible so if i want to i can venture down anytracks that tickle my fancy.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
Just did a Brissie to Snowie trip. Fucken great time. When you planning to go?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #11413
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,013
Quote:
Hey Andy,
Looks like i'll be leaving Friday or Saturday week (11 or 12/01/2013). Maybe just me, maybe a mate or two depending if they get their shit together.

I'm not too proud to ask for advice regarding places that are a "must see or too good to be true."

I am banking on 400km fuel range on the 990 and will basically keep it topped up as much as possible so if i want to i can venture down anytracks that tickle my fancy.

Rob
Capital rally is on that weekend if you make it down that far, it's past Tharwa - which is on the Namagi rd heading through some nice dirt to Adaminaby ???
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #11414
Ranger Rob
Out and about...

Cheers Hunter,
That may just be something to aim for.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Capital rally is on that weekend if you make it down that far, it's past Tharwa - which is on the Namagi rd heading through some nice dirt to Adaminaby ???
Cheers
Baza
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #11415
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Hey Andy,

Rob
How long are you going for? I would dearly love to join you, but I have issues with annual leave time...

The road from Khancobin up to Kiandra is a must. There is a hikers hut up there somewhere if you are doing the camping thing. Also lots of 4wd tracks off the main road that I would love to explore. I had the triumph sprint up there, so it was off limits for me.

I would suggest spending a night at the start of the snowies part. Give yourself a minimum of 2 full days on the roads up there so you can stop and check everything out. Plenty of this stuff:

This is the hikers hut

My route https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?m...fed6dfcc&msa=0 which if I did again would skip myall lakes and the pac highway. Boring as hell.
Andy_P is offline   Reply With Quote