Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #11491
Oldfatbeerman
Big on Corner speed

Oddometer: 3,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
You married?
Yes Dave , Tied The knot on 5 -5 -10 , Auspicious date for a Fairytale Union .

It was all good until she decided she had to quit work ( Good bye $ 60 K pa.) to save what she had left of her mental health ( Psyc Nurse working in NSW Health ) . Now we need to limit the liability of travel for learning new things and enjoying cheaper pastimes . Re the scooter .

Cheers
Alan
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #11492
Oldfatbeerman
Big on Corner speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodeano View Post
Sure, wife

A friend of mine had Kymco Espresso / Kymco People 150cc 4t. Not the fanciest but could not kill it with a stick. Stolen 4 or 5 times in Sydney, backed over, dropped etc etc - cheap as chips replacement panels. Spongy brakes but not life threatening most of the time . . . Rode it 2 up to Canberra and back - full noise at 90. Rode it down Range F/T and out Wombeyan following me (albeit slower) - and I I gave it a thorough bottoming out - just for fun. About 4k I think. Since he's more financial these days and his business is paying for it he has an Aprilia Mojito or Scarabeo - I have not ridden that.

Antoher friend had an Aprilia Sportcity 200 - 5 years ago now I spose - that was tops. Carmima ended up buying it off him and commuting on it for a while - and it survived that so it must be good. That was much nicer to ride and braked better - about 2500 would buy you one now - second hand. I think they were 7k or so new. He rode it to his parents place in Canb all the time - did a lot of k's. Nice Scooter - much nicer than the Kymco.

Buy a 'Scooter' mag - they have a list of everything available in the back.

Filter for:

Big wheels - 15" or above I reckon - 12"s SUCK.
Styling - some like the old - I like the new.
Required speed - a 150cc is a pain for more than 10 mins at 100 - and some may not get there.
Inclusions - top box, under seat storage etc - bloody handy and popular for the lasses handbags and crap

Having said that about 150cc - there was a recent Aprilia Sportcity One 125 that was in the 3k bracket I think. I never rode one but I'd figured it would be in my list if there was no highway involved - I like new stuff and they are still on bikesales now with 0km
Thanks Deano , I'll buy you a Rum when next you get your hairy arse down south far enough to meet up .

Locally , the fastest you can go legally is 90 kph , but on a trip to town 80 is the limit , so a Scoot that tops out at 100 kph would be adequate .

I have 3 900cc PLUS bikes with big wheels , can't really see me getting any kicks out of riding a 4T scooter .

My Ct 110 is going to be the trade in ...... or sacrifice to the market to part fund this scooter purchase IF it actually happens ( as opposed to just being lip service to thriftiness . ) and my CT 110 gets used for about 6 trips to the shops , in runners , shorts and blue singlet , each year , an ATGAT man I am NOT .

I have been riding these two wheeled contraptions for 80 % of my life time and I reckon ATGAT is for beginners and fools , keeping your mind focused on the task at hand is MUCH more important than how you are dressed to accomplish it !
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #11493
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 636
KTM Bar risers

are bar risers a one-size-fits-all thing as long as the bolts are correct and long enough?
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #11494
Oldfatbeerman
Big on Corner speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-gun-640 View Post
are bar risers a one-size-fits-all thing as long as the bolts are correct and long enough?

NO .
Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #11495
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman View Post

NO .

please explain?
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #11496
PBee

Oddometer: 8,272
This should explain, standard bolts will do. But you will still need the correct fitment for your bike.

Check this:

http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.a...roduct_id=2708

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #11497
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,637
Quote:
My wife has expressed interest in learning to ride , I am thinking scooter for transport into town for low costs , minimal fuel , no parking fees , ease of use when dressed in a skirt , etc , etc .

So to this end , I am asking the amassed knowledge ( or lack there of ) if there are any stand out brands in the scooter world ?

proviso.
As I know virtually nothing about them , I want a CVT type transmission , adequate power for accelerating out of trouble and a reasonable start price , if all this costs as much as a DR 650 then they can keep it in my opinion . If it were for me I would be looking for a 2 stroke manual ( Vespa PX 200 ) , but I am sure my wife does not need one that has a power band and gears .
I know stuff all about scooters, altrhough one is turning up for me later this year from Europe
I have seen two spills in Nowra , girls on scooters, one happened right in front of me, nearly ran over her, I saw the front wheel just fold under, so the biggest wheels you can get are essential I reckon.Hope she enjoys it
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #11498
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,366
Quote:
Yes Dave , Tied The knot on 5 -5 -10 , Auspicious date for a Fairytale Union .

It was all good until she decided she had to quit work ( Good bye $ 60 K pa.) to save what she had left of her mental health ( Psyc Nurse working in NSW Health ) . Now we need to limit the liability of travel for learning new things and enjoying cheaper pastimes . Re the scooter .

Cheers
Alan
Errr... Congrats.

You can have a shitload of fun on small bikes. Mental health is worth saving. Gotta think of it as having a happy Mrs not a 60k deficit. I try to do this... My Mrs has a small business / hobby It would be great if she could earn even 20!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #11499
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489

ok got the camping gear onboard, with my colman instant hotwater on demand with optional shower head, and a 30l bio toilet. im right for my holiday now
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #11500
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
on a more serious note, i got board today and finally installed that genuine givi brake light topbox thing i had sitting in the shed, over engineered, and the instructions were worse than Chinese, lots of little double pronged bulkhead things, so it goes from base into topbox, then from bottom to the lid of the topbox, then into another hole, into a few leds inside the lid.

and i butchered a charging cable, and plugged it into my powerlet bulkhead port, to install a maplight and a voltometer, controlled by a 2 way switch.

Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #11501
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,432
Bump
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #11502
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Todays quiz

A little test of wits, last night while indulging in a cold XXXX at the Stonehenge Pub, i noticed a sign in the bar that said: YCHJCYFCFTRFDS It took me about another 12 beers to work it out See how you go .

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #11503
Russ

Oddometer: 15,133
Your Curiosity Has Just Cost You Fifity Cents For The Royal Flying Doctor Service

What do I win??
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #11504
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,637
Over it!!!!!!!!!!! Went to move one of the hot rods, spat the front seal out of the tranny

This is built with clearances of about 2mm all round, so I've had a fair old workout, but its on the floor!

Havent used it for years, but because its totally built by me, I'll never get rid of it, they can dig a dirty big hole and stick me in the drivers seat with the DR in the back and fill it in when the time comes!
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #11505
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDADVGS View Post
Your Curiosity Has Just Cost You Fifity Cents For The Royal Flying Doctor Service

What do I win??
You could have told me sooner Russ, i wouldn't be wearing the hangover.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote