Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #31
Rapid_Roy
finally understands

Oddometer: 24,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschance
Yep, backpackers do not sound like full sized guitars. My wife says it sounds more 'banjo-ish'. But, at least it's a guitar. I picked mine up about a year ago via Craigslist, so that might be an option for you.

The Uke is an option also if you don't mind 4/6ths of a guitar.
That is what my wife said too.
I really miss it when I am riding and camping though.
I have to find a picture of how I packed it one time for a short ride.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #32
Krashdragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
An ukelele does not have to sound like a toy... especially the concert or tenor sizes... You can also get 5, 6 or 8 strings if you like.... (8 strings are double)

Sonny makes some of the best... I have a couple of custom made ones...

http://www.sonnydukuleles.net/

If I can find a pic of Leilehua, she rode a Honda 450, carried her guitar and lots of hula teaching implements on her bike...rode everyday to teach classes from Hilo to Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii...
That's only about 90 miles one way, but it goes from sea level to about 9000 feet and back down, in about 2 hours....

also check Musician's Friends for travel guitars....
mary
Krashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #33
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
friend of mine plays bass, I made some mounts and bolted a hard case to the side of his bike for him. But he doesn't do trips, just to local bars and other dives to play.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #34
2WheelDuende
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hi Nikolic. I haven't traveled extensively with a guitar, but I do carry a flamenco guitar on my Yamaha Majesty, and sometimes my Suzuki Marauder. I use a cheap fiberglass case I picked up for less than $100, and saddlebags long enough to fit the bottom. Then I bungie near the neck joint area. I carry a cheaper guitar - not my fav Ramirez.
2WheelDuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #35
nikolic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelDuende
Hi Nikolic. I haven't traveled extensively with a guitar, but I do carry a flamenco guitar on my Yamaha Majesty, and sometimes my Suzuki Marauder. I use a cheap fiberglass case I picked up for less than $100, and saddlebags long enough to fit the bottom. Then I bungie near the neck joint area. I carry a cheaper guitar - not my fav Ramirez.
Just found a 3/4 and 1/2 western's for 60e! New!! Will go to try 'em in the shop.
The key feature is the price
nikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #36
juangarza
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashdragon
An ukelele does not have to sound like a toy... especially the concert or tenor sizes... You can also get 5, 6 or 8 strings if you like.... (8 strings are double)

Sonny makes some of the best... I have a couple of custom made ones...

http://www.sonnydukuleles.net/

If I can find a pic of Leilehua, she rode a Honda 450, carried her guitar and lots of hula teaching implements on her bike...rode everyday to teach classes from Hilo to Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii...
That's only about 90 miles one way, but it goes from sea level to about 9000 feet and back down, in about 2 hours....

also check Musician's Friends for travel guitars....
mary
Yeah, ukuleles sound better than travel guitars. I have a Kamaka tenor low G that sounds nice. Also, baritones play like the bottom four of a guitar so you don't have to learn different fingering.

Most/all stringed instruments are to fragile. Try penny whistle or harmonica.
juangarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #37
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
If you play guitar (I do too...) you might consider a lap dulcimer for the road.
Small and easy to pack. If you know your scales and such it's an easy conversion from standard guitar.
Listen to this:

Old 10-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #38
Not clever enough

Oddometer: 72
2nd Vote for Baby Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwn.45
I have a taylor baby which is a 3/4 size and a soft case I have been considering
A hard casefor the same reason
It is quite a bit smaller but still bigger than a viola
I am getting ready to play my Baby Taylor, so I'll measure it for you.

Overall Length: 34"
Body At Widest: 12 1/2"
Body Depth including back bow and Bridge: 4"
Weight: ~3 pounds,

The soft case they come with seems prtty durable. I don't know how much more protection a hard case would offer in a crash. I suspect a regualr hard case would crack easliy on its first hard land. At least the well padded canvas might have more shock absorption....Not willing to test either theory with my guitar - but if you want to send me some smaple, I will be HAPPY to smash, errr, I mean test them for you.
0010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #39
Rapid_Roy
finally understands

Oddometer: 24,589
Found it!
Full size guitar, but I was only going 50 miles.
It worked fine, but I had one less sidebag.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #40
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
I carry a traveller ultra light steel string acoustic/electric with me. Check my NA tour 2010 thread for pics of the guitar on the bike and the link below for the vendor i used..

If i want public volume I need to amp it up (I use a pocket rocket and PC speakers) but, for practice and personal use, it's fine amp-less :)

http://playawayguitars.co.uk/

catweasel67 screwed with this post 10-26-2010 at 03:17 PM
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:58 AM   #41
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
This has been in my bookmarks waiting to be bought. I figure it's a 50/50 chance of it getting broken whether on the bike or on my body. The only problem is if you already carry a backpack, but I guess the pack can be strapped down while the guit rides on you. Pricy, but looks damn good for the rain and stuff.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #42
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I took a traveler brand electric guitar to alaska with a cigarette-pack amp. I incorrectly thought at the time that a travel acoustic would never sound like a real acoustic, but a travel electric could at least sound like a normal electric when a decent amp was available. The traveler never sounded good. It is small and weighs 4 lbs, which meant it fit in my pack on the back of the bike, but 4 lbs isn't enough mass to sound good. I even put a good pickup on it. It always sounded thin and brittle and harsh unless heavily processed and distorted, which I'm not into. So... I guess I'd rather have a backpacker or a uke.

For mexico I took a cheap nylon string that originally had been bought for me by someone else for $40 at the border. I gave it to someone there when I bought a better guitar in Paracho. The better guitar was more fragile of course, but it also had to deal with more elevation and humidity changes. When I got back, I had to have several inches along the top reglued to the body. Both nylon string guitars were carried strapped to my back. They're a little bigger than backpackers, but they're very light weight, and even the cheapest ones still sound like real nylon string guitars. And the cheap ones you can just use for a backrest. Biggest downside for me is that nylon strings don't really work for slide playing.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #43
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,040
Nice to see you around here again Aaron. I see Peter Egan paid you a nice compliment in Cycle World about your slide guitar talents, and your Adventure Riding as well.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #44
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Yeah, that was nice of him.

I can't keep up with this site much, but I'm glad I found this thread, since packing instruments on bikes is of special interest to me. No one has the magic solution, but it's fun to try. Some day, I'd like to tour a band on motorcycles. Already figured out how to carry the drums. Yeah, it's dumb. I don't care. Call it a "promotional tool", or something.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #45
oldmanriver1951
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
backpacker guitar

The Ovation Applause makes a pretty nice guitar, ovation composite back, full size fingerboard, decent sound. Add a battery powered mini-amp and you're set...takes up very little space...best value for the sound and money!