User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #46
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Traveler Guitar

I recently took a ride from Santa Fe up north into the Rio Grande National Forest in Southern Colorado.

If you look closely, you might be able to see my packed guitar:

I was able to pack my Traveler Electric Guitar, speakers and a Boss MicroBR recorder into my guitar bag.....

The traveler is a rugged guitar that can handle the road with ease....

And it appears they now have a hardshell case for these little guitars.....

LINK to my Ride Report

SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #47
rcskier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Guy in the first pic is holding a viola by the way. You oughta try carrying a bass trombone like me!
rcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #48
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,474
A Washburn Rover sounds better than a Martin Backpacker and comes with a pretty tough foam case:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...-travel-guitar

I had one before I got into motorcycles. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it's hard to balance - very neck heavy. I added a second strap button at the heel that helped.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #49
SteveO
Huh???

Cool, that rover looks like a nice little guitar....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #50
GrumpyTrails
Confused

Oddometer: 56
I have a Traveler Guitar Pro Series that is very compact and has proven to be virtually indestructible.
http://www.travelerguitar.com/

Of course you would have to be willing to go electric ... and you will get lots of attention.

The soft case is fine. You can use the guitar as a club, if needed.

happy trails
gt

Ride with respect!
http://www.treadlightly.org/
http://www.lnt.org/
GrumpyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #51
SteveO
Huh???

[QUOTE=GrumpyTrails;16748558
The soft case is fine. You can use the guitar as a club, if needed.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's good for beating the bears off your food.....

Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #52
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,094
I thought I'd dig this up to feature something I had seen once months ago but couldn't find again until today. It might not even be the same product, but it's exactly what I was imagining. The BackAxe. Earlier in the thread I listed a really good soft bag, but I think this thing would be great when you're carrying a thousand dollar guitar on you.

No full-size instrument is going to be easy touring, but I figure that this thing would be awesome paired with a hard case around town.

assquatch20 screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 09:01 PM
assquatch20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #53
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 226
Thought I'd post up my solution to bringing a guitar with my on my cross-country adventure. Like many I thought a guitar would be perfect to pass the time by the campfire along a road trip, and I remembered how my dad described an electric guitar to me once. "A baseball bat with strings". Hmmm. With this in mind I set out to create my own travel axe.

Started with a crappy Yamaha strat clone that I got for free. Introduced it to a band saw and pretty soon had a 'full' size traveling guitar ready to rock. I was able to keep the HSS set up, which made it sound decent. About as good as those fancy traveling electrics you can buy for lots more money. And it was incredibly hard to play at first. Almost a month later by the time I got home, I could play it like a normal guitar.

Pick of said traveling guitar in action from my trip.

For an amp I picked up a 9v battery powered mini amp from Ebay for $35. Tons to choose from, I picked the Fender Mini Twin mostly because I liked how it looked and sounded good on youtube. Coolest amp ever. It's incredibly tiny and makes a great noise.

Picture of the amp next to my Telecaster for scale's sake.

As far as packing this set up, the amp lived in my side case, protected by it's plastic packing it came in, and a freezer bag. The guitar lived in a section of 8" vent tube I bought for like 10 bucks from home depot. Combined with two end caps, and some duct tape to make the whole thing water proof. The guitar got rolled up with my sleeping roll, and then got shoved into the tube. Worked like a treat!

The whole thing on the bike.

Grand total of my traveling guitar, amp, and case, was about 40 dollars. If you don't have a crappy donor guitar you can easily find one on CL for next to nothing. Maximum cost for this set up should probably be 100, depending on choice of guitar.

Hope someone finds this helpful. Rock on!
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote