User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
TebKLR OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
I've been bitten by the Ural bug....

Have been reading (and trying to use the goofy search feature) about Urals. Have started looking in earnest. Pretty sure I want a Gear Up.

Is there a "short list" of dos, don'ts, good-to-haves, nice-to-haves, prefered model years out there?

Thanks!
TebKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by TebKLR
prefered model years out there?
Get the latest model year you can, improvements are ongoing. Personally, I wouldn't touch anything built prior to 2006.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TebKLR
Have been reading (and trying to use the goofy search feature) about Urals. Have started looking in earnest. Pretty sure I want a Gear Up.

Is there a "short list" of dos, don'ts, good-to-haves, nice-to-haves, prefered model years out there?

Thanks!
Howdy TebKLR,

If you can afford it, buy 2008 or newer, 2008 was a watershed year with many improvements some of which like the bearings in the swing-arms can't be retrofitted to the older rigs.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Yep... buy an '06/07 or newer. Many new upgrades in motor, brakes, ignition, and more. Gear up's look cool but do you need two wheel drive? If it's not mud and rock climbing the single wheel drive is fine. That being said, Gear Up's and Patrols are fun.

Try to get a good history of the bike if you can. Ural owners are a unique bunch and love to tell stories about the rig. If the seller doesn't have much to say it could be a red flag believe it or not (my opinion).

They are very fun to drive and I do miss my '02 Tourist. Get practice in a parking lot before hitting the road as it is waaaay different than a two wheel bike. If you have access to a sidecar class that would be an excellent idea as well.

Easy to work on, fun to maintain as well. If you don't like turning wrenches and being an 'active' owner than a Ural may not be for you. If you enjoy checking and double checking every nut and bolt than it's for you. Urals ARE reliable now but, as an owner, you still have to have the love of tinkering.

Good luck...

Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
'02 Ural Tourist (miss it!!)
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,459
A quick question for the hardcoreists is a Ural suitable for everyday commuting looking at a new 750 or late model secondhand (if I can ever find one)
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,351
Are Urals safe to drive any distance? Seriously, I remember Dneprs and they were junk.

What are the weak links on modern Urals?

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Big Gorilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I have a 2006 Gear Up.
It would be okay as a daily commuter, as long as you're not talking Interstate Highways. These bikes aren't speed deamons, and you'll have problems keeping up with the normal traffic speeds of 65+ on limited access highways.
I have no hesitation in putting alot of miles (couple hundred) on the bike in a day. Spent a few 8-10 hours days at 50mph without issues.
I wouldn't have it as my only bike, but it's a great second bike. Everyone loves it. You're a nice guy all of a sudden when your bike has a sidecar.
Would I buy one again, yes.
Couple problems so far, the final drive had to be replaced at about 25k, and it's in the shop now for nelectrical issues.
Big Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,351
what failed on your final drive and what sort of electrical issues are you dealing with?

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J
A quick question for the hardcoreists is a Ural suitable for everyday commuting looking at a new 750 or late model secondhand (if I can ever find one)
I use my yr 2000 650 Ural for daily commuting all year round.

As well as pretty much everything else.

I generally only use my yr 2004 750 one when the weather`s nice for leisure rides although it`s been on a fair few long distance runs (look for my 'Wrong Way Round' RR).

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #10
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Are Urals safe to drive any distance? Seriously, I remember Dneprs and they were junk.

Look for my Ride Reports and you`ll see the 750 especially is perfectly fine for all sorts of long runs.

I`ve done more on my 650 with no bother too.

The key is to give them the attention and scheduled servicing they need and to use them within their performance limits.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #11
MR X
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Thumb You will love the URAL

I heard all the bad CRAP people said about URAL , but got one anyway
When i got my URAL and went touring ,I carried a bunch of spare parts .
The more miles i drove the less parts i would pack with me.
After 20,000kms i stoped worrying about it breaking.

I now have 2 URAL with many other bikes .
The URAL is my favorite.
MR X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #12
sspect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Thumb Same Bug got me as well....

Here is a great site that shows all the upgrades by year....click on the 2010 HERE at the top for the newest models. It made up my mind. I am going for the 2010 as soon as I have the money. My only problem is that I am still struggling with one or two wheel drive.

http://www.uralnw.com/ural/yearlychanges.html
sspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J
I've been doing it for almost 3 years now, and I get to park right up front at work. For Me it has been more convenient and enjoyable than either 2 or 4 wheels.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
what failed on your final drive and what sort of electrical issues are you dealing with?

The usual FD problem is a broken ring gear bolt, like with BMW FD's, it isn't a ticking time bomb, but it happens more than it should.

The usual electrical problems are the signal flasher, foot brake light switch, and bad light socket connections.
The ignition system is built by Ducati, and the alternator is a automotive Nippon-Denso, and rarely fail.

The flasher is a standard Tridon made in the USA unit, it gets water in it and fails, sealing the seam with electrical tape solves that.
The brake light switch is just a cheap part, I replaced it twice, the 3rd has been fine for 2 years now.
The tail light sockets need to be adjusted so contacts are secure and put pressure on bulb, plus contact grease helps. Most often it isn't a problem if the dealer checks them before delivery.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Choose your dealer by reputation, not by closest distance.
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville
Blue Ridge Wheeltor is offline   Reply With Quote