User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
chorizo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
700 miles in one day...

Portland to Santa Cruz. 700 miles on my Honda PC and only tired.
Just a hundred or so miles on my dual sport and I'm walking like John Wayne
on the way to the restroom. The trip down Hwy 5 was uneventful enough
with O-ring cruise control and an extra 3/4 inch kneeling pad I picked up a Lowes. I passed the time stretching out, standing up, sitting on the rear seat, leaning back on my sleeping bag. Basically squirming and fidgeting mile after mile. Inventing dozens of products that cant explain what they were. And of course watching for short skirts.
Oh I just remembered one. Bungee highway pegs. Loop one on each boot then over the gas tank and ahhh boing boing. Good for 10 miles at a time.
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
chorizo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

For a few hours there I thought I thought I had done something worth commenting on. Guess you guys go 700 every day so its not a big deal.
Or was it because I was on a PC and there must be a typo. Go ahead and say it. "its a scooter and I wouldn't want to be seen on that thing. Or even post a reply" Well let me tell you its no scooter. Its a motorcycle that wont wheelie.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
Cap'n Crunch
Smelly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
WTG. 700 miles is very respectable. That many miles takes mental focus. Add another 300 and you've done an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000. I'm sure it's been done on a scooter (non wheelie type motorcycle), but the list of those that have is short.
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
etipaced
n00b

Oddometer: 3
hats off!

Congrats on the ride! It's fun isn't it? During you think, "My ass won't stop hurting!", but afterward you just say, "That was fun!".

I just rode to Portland myself the other week on my 2006 Scrambler. Took the 5 to Redding, then cut across CA-299 to US-101 in day 1 (710 miles). I found out the next day I should have grabbed the 36 exit instead. Oh well, 299 was good enough for me anyway! I spent day 2 scrambling up 101 to Tillamook, then cut back inland via route 6 to Portland (about 450 miles).

Coming home I bombed down to Bakersfield direct from Portland (860 miles). Slept for 4 hours, rode to Barstow to meet some friends and do some desert riding (another 140 miles). From there, it was only a measly 100 miles home back to Long Beach. I then slept for almost 13 hours... haha.

Iron Butt? Yeah, my buddies and I did that back in June. We headed to Roswell, NM from Long Beach, CA. Took us 22.5 hours because half the crew had no sleep the night before (idiots!) and the desert heat was 110+ degrees so our stops drew long. Haven't managed to do that distance solo yet, though.
etipaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
chorizo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bluhduh

I squirmed and stetched so much my ass wasn't a problem. Hell the PC is like a Pilates machine with four different foot pegs and two seats, three if you count my sleeping bag. People were looking at me funny. I did learn that
stopping, even to piss is a momentum killer. Any stop I took lasted at least 20-25 minutes. Take helmet off, gas, pee, clean glasses, windshield adjust load and package...You can save one minute if you leave your helmet on. Your right about the measly hundred, or 200. From what I seen cant go wrong with most roads in Oregon. Just cant lane split!! A buddy of mine lives in Reno
and could knock that out before lunch.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
Thailander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I use to have a PC, one of the bikes I wish I had not sold. 700 miles is a good run on any bike. Most in one day on my PC was about 600. It would not wheelie but would cruise all day at 75 to 80mph and was very comfortable for me.
Thailander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
easyrider88
POsIng PrO

Oddometer: 282
scooter

as long as you like youre honda PC i wouldnt worry about what other riders think is roadworthy.i used to travel on a honda 305 superhawk.how was the gas mileage?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
chorizo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

High MPG was 55 and low was 49, 52 average for a honking 650 pound bike its pretty good. But thats at 70-77 mostly. Sometimes 80-85, not for long though. Seams at the higher speeds on some of the dished roads where the big truck tires ride the bike wallowed? Not head shake but ungulate back and forth a few inches. And not rapidly but slowly up one side of the dish to the other. Never felt it before and I have tried the top speed of 107 many times (I weigh 250 wet) on different highways and it was rock solid. So not to stress 7 miles over the speed limit is good for me cause I can ride with no hands and a cruise control O-ring to relax for a few seconds. Besides my son got a 62 in a 50 zone ticket and cost him about $400. The states are using ticket $ to help pay budget short falls.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
etipaced
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I guess I should feel lucky about my ticket then. Leaving Eugene I got pegged for 78 in a 60. Total bill = $205. According to the court I can get it "discounted" down to $180.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Nuggz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Nice.. I don't think I could do 700 in a day with my current setup. I did 750 total this weekend on my fz6. 300 on Friday and another 300 yesterday. 80-100 miles my ass starts to go numb. A 10 minute break and I'm good for another 100 miles. It was my first mid distance trip. I learned quite a bit about the experience.
08 KLR 650 SOLD
08 Yamaha FZ6
Nuggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #11
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Geez, I did 700 over the course of 4 days and I was worn out
Hominid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #12
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,093
pics ???

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
chorizo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My son got his ticket on Hwy 17 in CA between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz.
Speed trap EVERY DAY. As far as pics I took a few with my cell phone
but what I want is the helmet cam that takes pictures while you drive.
Anyone know of a good deal on one?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
Razorback Rider
Dyin' to Ride

Oddometer: 301
yea, 700 miles is LONG way, even on a Wing. My dad had a PC. Great bike. smooth. Had to get rid of it because it was extremely hot around his ankles. Do you have that problem?
Razorback Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
LotaBikes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
700 a day is great on any ride or in a car for that matter. It's not so much the mileage, but the hours in the saddle. I did a bit over that in a day on my 1200LT. It was fine but I prefer 400 to 500 miles a day even on that bike. Long miles in a day is only important when you need to get somewhere. I like the journey rather than destination on most occasions and find 600 to 700 mile days mind numbing. Maybe someday that PC will be a rare classic!
LotaBikes is offline   Reply With Quote