ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
alexlevitt OP
Adventurer
 
alexlevitt's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Oddometer: 33
The First Crash

I managed to lose control of my bike in a relatively simple situation. Here's a full report of this accident.
http://scooteradventures.blogspot.co...09/atgatt.html

alexlevitt screwed with this post 09-06-2010 at 08:29 PM
alexlevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer
 
cliffy109's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Oddometer: 1,641
That's a good report. I'm very glad you're essentially fine. Its a hard lesson isn't it?

I found this quote in your write-up particularly interesting:

"I was mostly satisfied with the performance of my gear. But I don’t think that those little conveniences I achieved by removing some uncomfortable armor were worth the price."

You were geared up a lot better than most scooter riders, yet you still found out how much sacrafice was involved with the compromises. When I bought both my mesh and my non-mesh pants, the one thing that I required was hip armor. It amazes me how few have it. Even Aerostich makes it an option and its one that most riders don't take. After my crash, I'm very glad it was one thing I didn't compromise. It makes a difference.
cliffy109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
madefrtv's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: The Emerald City
Oddometer: 427
potentially now (when you are healed and ready) would be a good time to look into experienced rider courses.

nice report, thanks for being a rad ambassador for (un)common sense
__________________

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Guano11
Half Decaf
 
Guano11's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109
...the one thing that I required was hip armor. It amazes me how few have it. Even Aerostich makes it an option and its one that most riders don't take. After my crash, I'm very glad it was one thing I didn't compromise. It makes a difference.
I didn't have the optional hip armor in my 'Stich when I crashed -- and wished I did afterward!
You can bet I have it now, as well as the optional back protector.
__________________
Guano11
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 2,243
good job on the gear.
__________________
Alan
2011 KTM RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navy Chief's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 1,544
Glad to hear you are okay, and that your gear performed adequately.

I am a big believer in hip armour now that I have gone down without it, it is a requirement in any pants I purchase now.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
bostonsr
Just weight
 
bostonsr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NYCff
Oddometer: 8,402
scooters are meant for cities.

motorcycles are meant for wide open spaces.

those tires belong on a lawnmower.

congrats on being kinda atgatt on a scooter.

mods should put this in FP, since you ACTUALLY fell off.

abe
__________________
NOW with ONLY 400 miles of actual street riding experience!!!!

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
Zerk
DILLIGAF
 
Zerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
Oddometer: 3,204
If you would have had a pirate's leather jacket, you probably would be better off, atleast the jacket would have held up better. Other then reniforced pants, which are not as good as chaps, you pretty much were a pirate.


Glad your ok.
__________________
Berserker
In my travelling heart, there's an urge to see

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow
 
LuciferMutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: New(er) Mexico
Oddometer: 11,145
How does this not belong in face plant?
__________________
You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitro glycerin plant!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
rivercreep
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania (Reading)
Oddometer: 3,243
F.W.I.W. I wouldn't count on the helmet being undamaged even if there are no visible signs on it's exterior.

Went down on my GSX1100G many years ago and never remembered hitting my head and the helmet showed no outward, visible damage.
Years later when that helmet had grown old and way tooo skanky, I cut it apart to see how it was made.
There, inside the helmet, was a spider-web cracks on the inside of the helmet and beneath it, crushed foam.
Had I hit my head again in that same spot = It would have offered no protection.
My lesson was learned that day. You go down, you throw it out. Period!
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Zerk
DILLIGAF
 
Zerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep
F.W.I.W. I wouldn't count on the helmet being undamaged even if there are no visible signs on it's exterior.
If the helmet was in good shape, you should see a scuff, I would think, or scratch.

I don't want to tell the guy not to get a new helmet, its his head, and you just don't know.
__________________
Berserker
In my travelling heart, there's an urge to see

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
Gizmo
Hermes
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109
That's a good report. I'm very glad you're essentially fine. Its a hard lesson isn't it?

I found this quote in your write-up particularly interesting:

"I was mostly satisfied with the performance of my gear. But I don’t think that those little conveniences I achieved by removing some uncomfortable armor were worth the price."

You were geared up a lot better than most scooter riders, yet you still found out how much sacrafice was involved with the compromises. When I bought both my mesh and my non-mesh pants, the one thing that I required was hip armor. It amazes me how few have it. Even Aerostich makes it an option and its one that most riders don't take. After my crash, I'm very glad it was one thing I didn't compromise. It makes a difference.
+1, spot on.
__________________
Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:54 AM   #13
rivercreep
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania (Reading)
Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk
If the helmet was in good shape, you should see a scuff, I would think, or scratch.

I don't want to tell the guy not to get a new helmet, its his head, and you just don't know.
That was my point for telling my story...no outward visible damage, not even a scuff or scratch. ('m assuming my head hit something soft enough along the shoulder of the road that protected it's shell but, it still absorbed the impact from within from my skull)

The surprise I had when I tore down that old helmet years later was NOT a good one but, better than being surprised had my head impacted something between the last accident and when I threw it out.
F.W.I.W. it was a Shoei RF model. (900 series from what I remember)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
bush pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Thailand
Oddometer: 2,524
Yea this should be in FP. Good report, thanks.
__________________
USA travels 09'
Anchorage to Ushuaia
RTW...part: Europe
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Zerk
DILLIGAF
 
Zerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep
That was my point for telling my story...no outward visible damage, not even a scuff or scratch. ('m assuming my head hit something soft enough along the shoulder of the road that protected it's shell but, it still absorbed the impact from within from my skull)

The surprise I had when I tore down that old helmet years later was NOT a good one but, better than being surprised had my head impacted something between the last accident and when I threw it out.
F.W.I.W. it was a Shoei RF model. (900 series from what I remember)
How do you know how good it is in from the factory? You should cut open your new one to check Hell they probably bounce those things out the factory into truck, and off.

Guys are probably using them for forklift joisting.
__________________
Berserker
In my travelling heart, there's an urge to see

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014