Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
How do you tell somebody their side stand is down?!

Riding home today I notice an HD with the side stand clearly down. Sticking way out to the side and forward. Raced up beside the guy and pointed at his stand several times and motioned with my hand in a sweeping arc like the stand might make while moving. We were doing 50 MPH so there was no way I could have said anything to him though I was yelling at him. No way he heard me over wind noise and his loud(ish) pipes.

The guy must have thought I was inviting him to ride with me because at this point he changes lanes and shares mine right past me to take the lead. I continue to gesture with no results. My turn comes up so I turn.

I can only hope that at the next light he thinks to wonder WTF I was pointing at and finds his stand to be down. I wish there was a hand signal most riders knew about for this sort of thing!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 09-05-2010 at 05:26 PM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
I motion with my head to turn left.

I think you did all you can do. It is a dangerous situation, if it catches in a turn. But obviously he made it that far. Sometimes springs get weak and they sag.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog

I wish there was a hand signal most riders new about for this sort of thing!

......when I come arcoss a vehicle with something wrong, I just point at them in general then use the univesal palm down, hand moving back and forth across the throat signal that means something is wrong, shut it down, stop, look it over.
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
Riding home today I notice an HD with the side stand clearly down. Sticking way out to the side and forward. Raced up beside the guy and pointed at his stand several times and motioned with my hand in a sweeping arc like the stand might make while moving. We were doing 50 MPH so there was no way I could have said anything to him though I was yelling at him. No way he heard me over wind noise and his loud(ish) pipes.

The guy must have thought I was inviting him to ride with me because at this point he changes lanes and shares mine right past me to take the lead. I continue to gesture with no results. My turn comes up so I turn.

I can only hope that at the next light he thinks to wonder WTF I was pointing at and finds his stand to be down. I wish there was a hand signal most riders knew about for this sort of thing!
Well..... if he was silly enough to leave it down in the first place and then not realise you were trying to tell him something was wrong with his machine... maybe he is a Darwin candidate..?
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,939
Well, I've always been one to stop and take a look at the bike when somebody drives up waving their arms and pointing at me.

In Mississippi this summer, I was riding back from Miami to Madison. Just trundling along across the Alabama-Mississippi border towards Tupelo. Suddently this huge black dude in a gigantic cadillac comes screaming up behind me, pulls into the opposite lane, and is pointing at me and mouthing some kind of words!

Me: Holy shit! Black guy's trying to kill me! (Fast mind scan: have I done ANYTHING to piss anybody off, black OR white, today)

Black guy: (waves and points)

Me: Huh? (shrugs)

Black guy: (points much more insistently at the back of the bike)¨

Me: stop the bike, get off, and find that when I had pulled out at the last stop, I had left the rear cargo bag open.

That's how I roll. But the fact that my Harley, like all of them, has no sidestand switch is a bit annoying. It is an easy thing to forget.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,972
Usually, people don't figure these things out until later when they discover the problem themselves. "Oh, that's what that guy was pointing at." I remember one time when I had a couple of riders wave at me funny or point down. The bike was running and handling perfectly and I couldn't see anything when I looked down at the bike on either side. I didn't have a blinker on. Later, I got pulled over by a cop for having a burned out low-beam. I should have stopped and inspected the bike more carefully when the first guy gestured at me.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper
.... But the fact that my Harley, like all of them, has no sidestand switch is a bit annoying. It is an easy thing to forget.
Unless it the bike is really old, all modern bikes tend be pretty idiot proof with regard to the side stand.... either a switch to the kill the engine, or safe flip-up mechanism. I wonder if this some sort of legal, DOT thing.

Harley has the "Jiffy Stand" which will safely flip-up if you were turn left with it extended. It is spring-loaded in 2 directions - one direction obviously to retract, the other to "give," and initiate retraction, if turned left on while extended. It's a pretty damn good system actually.

The other really good system I recall from the Japanese bikes of the 80's was a simple rubber flap that extended slight below the stand foot. Lean left on an extended stand, the rubber would touch first and flip the stand up before the steel could pole-vault you. Hated BMW's old system (flips up once you unweight) and hate the electronic switches (just another gadget to fail, potentially leaving you stranded).
Old 09-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper

Harley has the "Jiffy Stand" which will safely flip-up if you were turn left with it extended. It is spring-loaded in 2 directions - one direction obviously to retract, the other to "give," and initiate retraction, if turned left on while extended. It's a pretty damn good system actually.
I was thinking about this only the other day and came up with something similar in my head. Had never heard about one in reality and wondered why no one had made one.

Have come across the old BMW style system on some lightweight non-BMW dirtbikes in the past. Hated it.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
I was thinking about this only the other day and came up with something similar in my head. Had never heard about one in reality and wondered why no one had made one.
Yeah, I really like it. The other thing I didn't mention, is that when you lean the bike onto the stand - weight against the "give" spring - the stand slots into a notch preventing it from flipping up if accidently rolled forward (bumped from behind, or parked facing downhill). Can't say the same for any other stand I've seen from the asian or european bikes.

Least Harley can design one thing right .
Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,780
Get their attention.
Point the index and middle fingers of the left hand at your eyes, and then point at the problem with a firm point.
Universal "Hey you, look where I'm pointing" gesture.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper
Unless it the bike is really old, all modern bikes tend be pretty idiot proof with regard to the side stand.... either a switch to the kill the engine, or safe flip-up mechanism. I wonder if this some sort of legal, DOT thing.
Wrong. Harleys aren't liberal nanny bikes. I think the European ones may not be either.

I don't want side stand interlock. There have been a couple times, where I am parked on a sharp shoulder, loaded down, and need to move forward a little to get it off the stand.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40
Well..... if he was silly enough to leave it down in the first place and then not realise you were trying to tell him something was wrong with his machine... maybe he is a Darwin candidate..?
Lot of people through out Darwin as an excuse to be an asshole.

Probably has a weak spring a fell down, or he didn't kick it hard enough. I've seen them sag, but never come down all the way.

I can imagine riding with the side all the way down, and wonder if its even possible.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
guilty
I like older jap bikes
most seem to have center stands (at least the ones I've owned)
can't count the number of times I went to turn left out the drive way and

HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk
Wrong. Harleys aren't liberal nanny bikes. I think the European ones may not be either.

I don't want side stand interlock. There have been a couple times, where I am parked on a sharp shoulder, loaded down, and need to move forward a little to get it off the stand.
What are you saying.... Harley's modern Jiffy stand doesn't flip up if you make a left turn while it's extended?... If so, then sorry, you are wrong.

If you don't have the strength to tip the bike up a few of degrees to get past the interlock, and then roll forward, then maybe the stand ain't for you. But I've heard of enough bikes accidentally bumped off their stands to appreciate that interlock.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
Blagadán
Kevin

Oddometer: 168
I had a similar situation during the summer. Riding along minding my own business when I noticed a HD cruiser ahead of me with his sidestand sticking all the way out.
Instinctively, for some reason, I accelerated ahead of him maybe 8-10 feet, pointed to the kerb, kept my arm out, and slowed him down to a stop (I guess like a cop would do). The guy complied and pulled over. Confused at first of course, but was very thankful after he looked down and saw his sidestand sticking out.

My good deed done for the day, I rode off and spent a good while afterwards wondering how the guy got to where he was without taking a left turn at any point.
Blagadán is offline   Reply With Quote