Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #151
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,425
Well, I don't know if Kootenai's last post looking for a mechanic that prompted this decision...but, whatever it was, I am happy to announce that my 2 Noobs Racing Team partner Luke has jumped off the fence and has signed on to the OUTTA SIGHT RACING TEAM for the 2011 Mexican 1000!!

For those who have not followed our thread, Luke and I just completed our first season of XC racing together (see link in signature line below) and I have been trying to get him interested in the Mexican 1000...first to ride a bike...then to crew for us. Luke has several friends that will either be riders or crew members for other entrants...so he will be among friends down there

While not a moto mechanic by trade, anyone that can take apart a Honda XR400 and when its put back together it has electric start and forks from a CRF450....definitely has more knowledge and balls than I do

Luke is also an electrical engineer, so I think he can handle rewiring the SL so it has a simple, racing wiring harness with all new race-proper components....he has also offered to rebuild the MR forks for us!!

So we may in fact be set with our crew, as I was hoping for about 3 + me

We have me riding, Luke as our mechanic, Alex as our team Doctor and translater, Paul (Jr.) doing logistics and primary videography and everything else!! And Sherry has offered up to drive her pick-up down as an auxiliary chase vehicle and promises to have gasoline and water anywhere I need it!!

These are some amazing people and are all pretty easy going...which really helps balance out my high-strung type A personality

This is going to be good......
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #152
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast
Luke has jumped off the fence and has signed on ...

....he has also offered to rebuild the MR forks for us!!

Good score, Luke is the guy whose idea of a casual Tech Night is to ride across town to the meet, wait for the guy ahead of him to finish changing his tire, then completely tear down his KTM forks, and have them back together in time to sit around and BS for a while before riding back home.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #153
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
When I first read it, I thought Luke had been convinced to sign-on as a co-rider
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #154
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
He's still on the fence about that.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #155
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider
He's still on the fence about that.
Only if he wants to ride bitch...I'm sure we could weld up some buddy pegs on the SL...now, that would be an adventure
Old 11-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #156
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,768
Just fumbled onto your thread tonight - this is super cool! Spent many weekends ripping around Mt. St. Helens on an SL350 and an SL175 . . . back in the 70's!

Keep up the good work!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #157
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
Just fumbled onto your thread tonight - this is super cool! Spent many weekends ripping around Mt. St. Helens on an SL350 and an SL175 . . . back in the 70's!

Keep up the good work!

Got any old, reject GL bags that would work on the old girl I'll put a steeker on the bike
Old 11-23-2010, 01:08 AM   #158
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:

Got any old, reject GL bags that would work on the old girl I'll put a steeker on the bike
You can take my Mojavi
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #159
gs211
Adventurer wannabe!!

Oddometer: 63
Great thread. Looking forward to seeing more. Paul if there is anything I can do, let me know. You know where to find me.
gs211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #160
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Luke the Mechanic

Sweet! Luke will be a great addition to the team!
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #161
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Yeehaw!

It's coming together now!
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #162
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,892
Nice build of a classic Honda twin!
Remember not to destroy it in Mexico so you have a cool ride when you get back.
Some classic Curnutt shocks would be way cool on that bike.
SL's are cool.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #163
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
I've been looking at the tentative course maps from NORRA's website trying to get an idea for our logistics and it looks like we're going to need to keep up a pretty good pace in the chase vehicle just to keep up with you.
Day 1 will be a mess for the support crews, other days easy. Those are the '10 race maps, I doubt it will be same, but similar.

Quote:
May 4th is inspection, with the race starting on the 5th of May. Paul and I are planning to get to Mexicali the night of the 1st, giving us two days to pre-run and get the lay of the land
It's actually designed to be a "no pre-run" course, but don't sweat it!

I'm not pre-running, I don't need to with the amount of days I ride in Baja yearly. But you guys are new to Baja and getting a lay of the land isn't a bad idea. No other competitors will care. It's a fun event and low stress.
For sure you need to check out YOUR route from the host hotel to the Start Line. They tried to have a "parade" from the hotel to Start in '10 and it was a total mess. People were going everywhere! I saw the cluster and just did my own thing thru the city (many followed). Some ended up going south on Hwy.5 for like 30 miles before they figured it out. It was so screwed they had to postpone the start! Some then needed gas at the Start just to make the 1st section.
What I'm saying is, you figure out how you are going to get to the start, remember it, and if it's a cluster again you'll be a step ahead.

Quote:
If anyone reading this has done the Mexican 1000, or has any insight about chasing that they would like to share...even the small stuff...please let us know..PM's work fine!
Of course, because the information coming from the race organizers is lacking, I am unsure what we really need...hopefully that will be forthcoming from them soon
Good info in your PM. And don’t expect much outta NORRA or thier site…

Dig your bike!
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #164
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto
It's actually designed to be a "no pre-run" course, but don't sweat it!
I'm not pre-running, I don't need to with the amount of days I ride in Baja yearly. But you guys are new to Baja and getting a lay of the land isn't a bad idea. No other competitors will care. It's a fun event and low stress.
For sure you need to check out YOUR route from the host hotel to the Start Line. They tried to have a "parade" from the hotel to Start in '10 and it was a total mess. People were going everywhere! I saw the cluster and just did my own thing thru the city (many followed). Some ended up going south on Hwy.5 for like 30 miles before they figured it out. It was so screwed they had to postpone the start! Some then needed gas at the Start just to make the 1st section.
What I'm saying is, you figure out how you are going to get to the start, remember it, and if it's a cluster again you'll be a step ahead.
Yeah, when I say pre-run, I mean just go run down there. We ride the woods, roots, logs, mud, etc... very limited desert riding, plus, we're getting holed up for the winter with very little riding so we're going to just need to shake off the cobwebs.

I think our plan is to hit the Desert 100 in Odessa, WA in early April and I think Paul is going to do the Poker run on the SL as a shakedown.

Thanks for the heads up about the start. I figured we just rolled on up to the start area however we made it. Also, the first day issue with the pits is good to know too.

We'll have our chase rig, then Ladybug and whomever is in her truck, then there is talk of sharing some pit duties with MtoThef's chase rig also which would effectively give us a third vehicle and his team a 2nd vehicle by him using our rig.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #165
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Yeah! What he said!

Thanks for all of that Intel Bajabound! That is exactly the kind of information and insight we need from those that have done it before!

oregoncoast screwed with this post 11-28-2010 at 07:16 PM