Silent Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Silent Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #18
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Looks to me like Ray is getting in the Baja spirit drinking Pacifico. Nice style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast
This is Ray.
That bike is sweet.
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #19
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,218
Bike does look sweet. Looking forward to seeing it cross the finish line. Keep the updates coming.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #20
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,376
Inspiration...

Sitting here....sipping on a beer (or three), watching the tail end of the "Baja 1000 Classic" on Netflix on my computer. If you liked "On Any Sunday," and you have Netflix, you need to watch this film.

It is a rework-up of a piece done for ABC's Wide World of Sports in 1968, by Bruce Brown. Commentator Jim McKay does an amazing job of interacting with the racers and you walk away wondering.....why are there no more shows like this on television?? Everything now, has to be fast edits, speed-metal music and Jackasses jumping schoolbuses in gas-powered bath tubs. Oh well, just being nostalgic...even though I was born the year this race occurred

Here are some screen shots..first up, Larry Bergquist on the Long Beach Honda 350 Scrambler, the inspiration and the reason I choose this bike for this build:

That is a nearly stock Honda 350 Twin. Bergquist is miles ahead of the competition at that point and will be handing the bike off to his parter Gary Preston for the second half of the race

Some of the other competitors:

Continuing on 3 wheels:

Malcolm Smith DNF'd in a buggy:

You could smell the patcholi and weed from the chopper:

And Preston coming across the finish line after riding the Honda Twin for 11 hours with Jim McKay right there with the microphone Preston and Bergquist finished the race in just over 20 hours, beating the previous record by 5.5 hours!

When asked by Jim McKay what his and Bergquist's racing strategy was, Preston coyly answered: "Go Fast."

He added, "It's more of an endurance race than and out and out race."

Words I am building this bike around. Thank God the current Mexican 1000 is a 3-day rally..and not a balls out Baja 1000!!

Cheers
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #21
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood
Great thread! And I love the SL.

Prepare to be liberated, man!

BTW, that is totally what I will wearing during the race...the new-old ATGATT: All the Gay, All The Time
Old 09-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #22
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,423
Quote:
BTW, that is totally what I will wearing during the race...the new-old ATGATT: All the Gay, All The Time
You've been "liberated"? All the way out of the closet?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #23
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
You've been "liberated"? All the way out of the closet?
Don't be a hater. For craps sake, you're British...you should understand the need to ride topless
Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #24
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider
Bike does look sweet. Looking forward to seeing it cross the finish line. Keep the updates coming.
+1

Quote:
Gay? Looks pretty macho to me but then again I spent a lot of time around motorcyclists that look just like that when I was a bit younger

Dang I just realized that motorcycle is almost as old as you and a lot older than Kootenai Rider.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #25
oregonsage
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Sitting here....sipping on a beer (or three), watching the tail end of the "Baja 1000 Classic" on Netflix on my computer. If you liked "On Any Sunday," and you have Netflix, you need to watch this film.

It is a rework-up of a piece done for ABC's Wide World of Sports in 1968, by Bruce Brown. Commentator Jim McKay does an amazing job of interacting with the racers and you walk away wondering.....why are there no more shows like this on television?? Everything now, has to be fast edits, speed-metal music and Jackasses jumping schoolbuses in gas-powered bath tubs. Oh well, just being nostalgic...even though I was born the year this race occurred

Here are some screen shots..first up, Larry Bergquist on the Long Beach Honda 350 Scrambler, the inspiration and the reason I choose this bike for this build:

That is a nearly stock Honda 350 Twin. Bergquist is miles ahead of the competition at that point and will be handing the bike off to his parter Gary Preston for the second half of the race

Some of the other competitors:

Continuing on 3 wheels:

Malcolm Smith DNF'd in a buggy:

You could smell the patcholi and weed from the chopper:

And Preston coming across the finish line after riding the Honda Twin for 11 hours with Jim McKay right there with the microphone Preston and Bergquist finished the race in just over 20 hours, beating the previous record by 5.5 hours!

When asked by Jim McKay what his and Bergquist's racing strategy was, Preston coyly answered: "Go Fast."

He added, "It's more of an endurance race than and out and out race."

Words I am building this bike around. Thank God the current Mexican 1000 is a 3-day rally..and not a balls out Baja 1000!!

Cheers
Sounds like a good DVD to get for the motorhome. Great to have inspirational stuff to watch the night before an event.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #26
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,745
Cool! You should have some fun.
Earlier this summer I met these guys at an AMC show. You should probably see them there.

I got stickers from them too!

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #27
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

moving along...

The SL had one leaky fork seal.... in hindsight, it probably didn't need to be replaced...just cleaned, but....

I called my friend Lonnie:
Me - "How are you at changing out fork seals?"
Lonnie - "I've done them before"
Me: "See you in 20 minutes?"
Lonnie: "Ok."

This is Lonnie with his best "Deer in the Headlights" impression:

We dug and removed the fork legs and started to disassemble them:

I have two repair books for this bike, a nice vintage Clymer and a vintage Chilton one. Neither one of these had a description for disassembling the forks that were on this bike. I figured that these were very late model forks and were probably closer to early XL250-350 legs, rather than CB, CL and SL ones. Once we figured out we needed to leave the spring in order to remove the allen bolt which held the rod in place, it all went fine None of that was in the books.

The old seals looked great and came out without issue. I realized then that they probably were fine and didn't need replacing...but oh, well, I had gotten two NOS seals at the small local Honda shop so might as well put them in:

One other thing of note, and to give proper Kudos to Larry, the builder of this bike: the fork oil looked great...for a bike that has been in storage!! He definitely did it right

Remember how I said, these forks were a bit different...well it became obvious that the seals I bought were not correct. I had thought the bike was a 1971 when I bought the seals, but it is in fact a 1972. It was 5:45 pm on a Monday, and I called Dan Huffman at the local shop, Tillamook Honda. He looked the seals up, ran down in the basement as I waited on the phone, returned and said he had them!! Dan stayed at the shop past closing for me and we ran in. He took the other seals on equal trade and we were back in business!

Fork seals went in no problem, I had some old, sealed, 20w PJ fork oil and although I would not normally use anything that heavy in any of my more modern bikes (I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for those), I was tired of looking at the PJ bottle. I also thought it was worth a try, since the forks had no other adjustments other than spring selection and oil..might as well see how they are with the heavy oil and I can always move down in weight or volume.

We go it all buttoned up and they worked great, if not a bit stiff:

A few days later, santa in the brown truck brought me my new foot pegs and bar risers! The NOS throttle tube had just arrived at Tillamook Honda, too!

The footpegs are obvious of cheap manufacture, but for $19 bucks, they are a huge improvement over the hug rubber OEM ones. "That'll do, pig, that'll do"

I had decided against the Tusk MX bars I bought, because they were actually lower than the old dirt track looking ones that were on the bike. I went down to Dan's shop and bought a set of Aluminum ATV bars in a nice gunmetal gray. The ATV bars were about the same rise and width as the scrambler bars from the CL350. The new bar risers worked/looked great and got the new bars where I want them..way up!

Then I took these pictures to see what kind of ergos I was getting with the new bar height/weight, please excuse the model:

I took her for a spin and the ergos are getting close to that of my DRZ and I can stand in the attack position easily now, and the new pegs provide plenty of bite!

I installed one of my pillowtop grips and will put on the NOS throttle tube this weekend with the new grip. I saw Ray today while walking my dogs on the beach and he assured me the taillight bracket will be made this weekend!

So far, I am pleased with the way this vintage racer is coming together
Old 09-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #28
Buddy_Holly
Imminent Train Wreck

Oddometer: 1,044
Great Report!
Buddy_Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #29
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
I had a KLR with the same forks and 20w oil worked great.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #30
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,490

A Ladybug brokered bike!

Gonna be fun seeing this come together.

Popcorn for everyone!!!

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is online now   Reply With Quote