Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #751
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,618
Thanks for the start of the updates Jr. and Sr. and as I've said more than once I'm looking forward to more.

I for one am I'm impressed that you did what you did, you got the SL over the finish line. I sure hope someone got a picture of that, unlike me missing the photo op at the Desert 100 .

Now about that oil leak - look at the engine, it's a Honda not a Harley so stop that.

Ok, I'll shut up now but probably only for a short while.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #752
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,855
I think you guys did a great job. Please don't take my posts as saying you did something wrong or that I'm being critical of your efforts, there is always more than one way to skin a cat (some are just easier than others ). My comments are always made so you might have an easier time of it the next time, or at least give you some insight and some stuff to think about. Again good job getting to La Paz.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #753
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,331

OK already...lets see some pictures...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #754
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
I'm Still

Waitin.

Oh Yeah, atta boys for everyone who was involved!
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #755
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Goin' to get a USB stick drive so I can transfer pics from my laptop to my parents computer..... you'll have some pics later tonight.

Besides... Its not like anything interesting happened down there that you'd want to see anyway.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #756
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Besides... Its not like anything interesting happened down there that you'd want to see anyway.
Is there an EPA in Mexico. I'm sensing there was some oil pollution, might want to keep those under wraps
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #757
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,989
Tease!!!!
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #758
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Is there an EPA in Mexico. I'm sensing there was some oil pollution, might want to keep those under wraps
We're stashing it for next year. Its part of the pre-race prep strategy Strongbad was telling us about.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #759
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 698
Hooray for Team Outta Sight!

OC, my one and only hope for you and the team, especially while you were out of touch (lots of nail biting during that time!) was that no matter what you would finish (and of course everyone come home in one piece!). You have exceeded all reasonable expectations and you know that most of us are checking every few hours for any tid bits of the story. Congratulations to all of you on a job well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
....preparing to write race report. I don't have any pictures or videos from anything other than the last day of the race, due to a problem getting them transferred from Paul Jr.'s computer. He promises to send me them asap...

Thanks for that photo..I've never seen that one!!

I guess I should add a disclaimer as there seems to be some who still think we went down there to win the event.

**DISCLAIMER**
So, as a reminder - I set out to enter a vintage race down the Baja Peninsular on a 40-year-old bike. My goal was to get the bike across the finish line, preferably under its own power. None of us had ever raced or even ridden in Baja..nor have any of us ever chase crewed a Baja race.

If it was our goal to win the event, we would have entered a newer XR and hired a professional racer like Joe Desrosiers or Chilly White to pilot it

As a freshman effort, Team Outta Sight did an amazing job!

* We had the oldest bike in the rally.
* We probably had the noobiest crew and rider.
* Even with confusing instructions concerning their GPS files, we were mostly on course and reached the destination each time.
* Even when the bike was essentially out of the race..our team did not give up...got to work and pushed through in true Baja fashion to cross the finish line.
* 1/3 of those who started the race did not finish the race. And a number of those who did finish were towed or trailered across the finish line in La Paz. We cruised across the finish line with the SL running great (albeit leaking a bit of oil )
* We had no injuries or crashes....that's right, the bike never fell to the ground in all of Baja.

The true adventure is in the stories and people we met surrounding any navigation issues, mechanical issues and/or logistical issues. While some seem to want to point out the things we did wrong, pardon me if I focus on the things we did right. The thing about Baja is that you never give up...and we never did...even when we wanted to Our story is about overcoming obstacles, and those who helped us do that.

I am so damn proud of my team and what we accomplished! Stay tuned for all the details in full technicolor!!

Oh, and by the way, the Tubliss tire system and Tyre Shield were the bomb more on that later....
LC Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #760
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,187
Paul, my mancrush on you could not be more intense than right now.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #761
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,085
A bit about navigation.....

For those not familiar with the area or the race, here are the maps that NORRA put together of the race.

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3

About a week before the race NORRA published a GPS track of the entire course, with waypoints added at the start of each section. The GPS track didn't quite match the maps above, but we figured we'd sort that out when we got the roadbook at signup.

When we were at signup on the 4th, we were assured that the printed maps were out of date and that the new GPS tracks (just published that day) were what we should follow. There were supposedly some changes to the start of the first special, but the two tracks were identical. There didn't seem to be much change to the roadbook either, so we figured that we'd just go with it. If nothing else, the end of the route was supposed to be the same, so if he just followed the route he'd end up in the right place. In retrospect, this would have been a good time to talk to the officials.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #762
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

A few pics. There are hundreds more...

Team Photo with Gary Preston and Eric Bergquist, son of Larry Bergquist, Gary's co-rider on their 1968 winning race, with Larry's bronzed helmet.

For Ladybug

This couple lives in Loreto and did the race... cute little couple in their late 60's/early 70's, just happen to have a race buggy.

Pulling the clutch side cover off to fix the bike 10 minutes before leaving for the start.

Alex helping Leo from the Snortin' Nortin' team do a once over of their Nova as it came in after the first Special Day 1. Leo was especially helpful in the advice he gave us about not going through CoCo's corner with the Sprinter, amongst other helpful tidbits. W/O him, we'd probably still be stuck out there.

Paul finally arriving at the end of the first Special, Day 1, hot, tired, and in good spirits all things considered.

Mike (back turned) and Ted "The Dude" these guys really give meaning the the never say die spirit of Baja, and keep coming back every year. The dude abides.

Entering the last special, Day 3. Go team Outta Sight!

This guy carried a folding stand with him that he would set up in the sand to get a good footing for kick starting the big Husky. Now that is being prepared....he didn't carry it Day 1 by the way. :)

I think this is what I'm entering next year.

Our rider, finished with the final special test. Just an 80 mile hwy transit to go to the finish.

Kootenai Rider screwed with this post 05-12-2011 at 04:37 PM
Old 05-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #763
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,085
While the other guys are figuring out their good pictures, here are my crappy ones.

Prepping the bike in Santa Monica. We were told that the race would be really fast, so we figured the bike would need high gearing than what was used at the Desert 100 . This turned out to be terribly wrong.

Checking out the bike just prior to a test ride.

The starting lineup, bikes in the middle.

Start line powwow. Check out the pork chops on Paul Jr.

A few pictures of the ceremonial start in Mexicali:

Paul, Alex, and Leo (L-R) helping out the Snortin Nortin buggy at the end of the first special:
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #764
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
A bit about navigation.....
I'm doing my best to help them get it right, but they still have room for improvement. Similar things happened last year. Great job finding your way even with confusing information! Next year I hear they'll have one or more sections with no GPS tracks, so everyone will have to use the roadbook, at least in those sections.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #765
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I'm doing my best to help them get it right, but they still have room for improvement. Similar things happened last year. Great job finding your way even with confusing information! Next year I hear they'll have one or more sections with no GPS tracks, so everyone will have to use the roadbook, at least in those sections.
Actually, they want to go to an enduro computer and road book. That's great for you real racers, but if they want to keep new guys coming (and paying $1200 dollars to enter) they really should stick with providing good GPS tracks. I don't need to have the detail provided by the roadbook as I am not going as fast as you were Hogwild...and I never will. I am racing a 40 year-old bike with 4 inches of travel, and I have a beautiful wife and 2 daughters to come home to. I did read the roadbook and found it somewhat helpful...but if I had been concentrating on scrolling and reading it, I would have fallen or crashed for sure...Luke's GPS routes and tracks let me look up and see an arrow pointing in the right direction. I will elaborate on this in my race posts...but because it keeps coming up, I feel it necessary to chime in. In cars, or hacks, when you have someone else to navigate...great. On a bike, as a noob, trying to keep the rubber side down, a roadbook just does not work, for me...I know I will not convince the hard-core roadbook only crowd...and I am not trying to...I am racing a different race than you. If they simply updated the GPS file instead of just giving the roadbook guys the latest track, then there would be no issue. My problems had nothing to do with the GPS tracks or routes. It had to do with my mechanical issues and me not paying attention to the GPS at crucial intersections.....I was too busy having fun...which is what I set out to do here guys...have fun.'

I suppose if they go to a roadbook only, than I will use it and practice before hand...so I guess it is a wait and see.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote