User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

Oddometer: 106
Camping and Riding around N. GA

I headed out Friday morning to do a littel riding and camping up around the Toccoa River this past weekend with the family. This will be the kids last chance to go camping for the year so we headed up to the mountains to camp up by the Toccoa River in the Suches Ga.
We found some beautiful, secluded camp sites while riding last weekend and I think the kids and women are really going to like it...........well at least I know the kids will.......the women are never pleased.
RidingCountry.com
06Klr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

I left out friday morning at 5am hoping to get up there early enough to get a decent site before they all packed in .............Well that didn't work!! The whole area was packed in! I spent a little over 2 hours driving around looking for a site to set up on and finally found a great site down a very rough road but the spot was beautiful.

After spending about 2-3 hours trying to find an empty camp site I found a beautiful spot on the point where Rock Creek and the Toccoa river come together.
After scoping it out I unloaded the gear and set up camp and at this point I had the whole area all to myself. It was cool, shaded and just peaceful.

The road leading down to the campsite was very rough and it took a bike, truck, or Jeep with good ground clearance to get all the way to the back end of the service road. I had a difficult time getting in and out in my truck being two wheel drive, but with the family coming up Saturday I had way to much gear to pack it all in on the bike.
RidingCountry.com
Old 09-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

After getting the camp set up a quick swim and a couple adult beverages, I took a drive to the top of the mountain on 69c to txt Jeff ( only place I could get cell service ) and let him know I found a spot and find out what time he was coming up with his family and the rest of mine.

From there I decided to go explore the area since I didn't have much else to do for the rest of the day but go back to camp and relax since the rest of the family wouldn't be up until tomorrow.
RidingCountry.com
Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

After making the arrangements to meet Jeff and the Family the following morning I set off to wander the service roads. I say wander because I managed to forget my GPS at home, there is no cell service unless your on top of a mountain and I have no maps of the area.

Only place with decent cell service

Right across from 69c was an old cemetery, many of the head stones were nothing more than old flat rocks marking the graves. Some did still have some legible markings on them but many had weathered away making any identification impossible.

Just makes you wonder who these people where and how they came to be here.
RidingCountry.com
Old 09-07-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

After leaving the cemetery I came across this guy stocking trout in the stream.

It was funny watching him sling trout 15' into the air before hitting the stream. I would have thought they were a little gentler when releasing them. Half the trout hit the water so hard it stunned them and took them a few seconds to recover and swim away. And as fast as the fishery guy was throwing them into the stream fishermen were casting at them trying to score some easy trout. You think they would close the stream to fishing for a day to let the fish spread out some before allowing the fishermen to have at them. I mean really why not just let people fish in the hatchery, catch their creel limit and then stock whatever is left. It was kinda sad, that's not what I would call fishing, but to each their own.

After a brief stop to watch the flying fish I was back on the road.

Youtube kills your video quality......You would think google could afford more server space and wouldn't have to compress your video to death!
There are literally hundreds of miles of dirt roads up here and I only scratch the surface of them. Whenever I saw anything interesting or came to an intersection I pulled over to snap a pic.

Here is another one of those 200 yard off the road campsites, but since it was on top of the mountain and not by the water it probably doesn't get harassed as much

Why do kids and drunk adults think it's cool to spray paint there name on rock walls? If you really want to be remembered spray paint your whole name on the rock face.........Scumbags!

I stopped here at 15 to decide which way to go and grab my text messages when a mini van pulled up marking the bush with a little ribbon. I'm guessing there was or is a ride coming up and those ribbons marked the route.
RidingCountry.com
Old 09-07-2010, 05:20 AM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
Riding in the N. Georgia mountains is highly addictive. It looks like you're addicted

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
Riding in the N. Georgia mountains is highly addictive. It looks like you're addicted
Lol!! I'm getting addicted fast!

For me it's not just the riding part, it's being able share the trips an adventure with people. Whether it's sharing it with a riding buddy, the family while camping or on here or Ridingcountry.com

Riding by yourself gets boring after awhile, which is one of the reasons I stopped riding years back. But with digital cameras and sites like this you've always got someone to share the adventure with
RidingCountry.com
Old 09-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

I came across what looked like a new food plot being put in by the Forestry Service.

I also came across this primitive table not far from the food plot. I wondered why someone would put so much effort into building this thing and then leave it behind :

Then I came across these fresh bear tracks not 200 yards above someones campsite. It's not a huge bear but this bear obviously has figured out that campers mean there will be food left behind and is just biding his time.

RidingCountry.com
Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

Here are a few random pics from the service roads.

And then you have the friggin road closed barriers everywhere :rage:

After riding for awhile up in the mountains I got dumped out on this little narrow road that led me over to 60.
RidingCountry.com
Old 09-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

Youtube kills your video quality so I should just stick to pics for now. Here are a couple pics of 60.

Once I popped out on 60 I figured I'd go down to the motorcycle resort and see who else was in the area.

The place was pretty quiet but I did see this one KLR 650 there........... I thought maybe someone may know who the owner might be.

After a brief pit stop and I was headed back north in search of batteries for the Go Pro. I stopped at the Cooper Creek store bought two packs of AAA and all of them were dead right out of the package .........i'm guessing they had been on the shelf for quite some time.

Since all there batteries appeared to be from the early 80's I headed a little further north to the cooper Creek General store. They had some AAA's from this decade and I was back in business with the Go Pro. Once I had it all back together I headed back down the mountain to get some film of the twisty's on 60

.............But my dumbass had the camera set to pics instead of video and didn't get one inch of video................which sucked because I was workin the curves on the klr for all she had. On two different curves I came in a little hot(thinking I was recording) and scrapped the toe of my boots on the pavement...........That would have made some cool video because with the go pro mounted to the side of my gas tank it was only inches from the pavement
RidingCountry.com
Old 09-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
SilentRay
Rebuilt

Oddometer: 546
Hey 06KLR650. We stopped you as ya'll were coming back to camp and asked about the swinging bridge. That sure is a nice camp site.Very private and the creek and river coming together there made it even more inviting. Your right about needing decent ground clearance to get in there. Don't think my van would make it.
SilentRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentRay
Hey 06KLR650. We stopped you as ya'll were coming back to camp and asked about the swinging bridge. That sure is a nice camp site.Very private and the creek and river coming together there made it even more inviting. Your right about needing decent ground clearance to get in there. Don't think my van would make it.
Small World SilentRay, I hadn't got to you guys in the report yet but you where coming up shortly.
I hope you guys found the Bridge alright, it was packed with people when we finally made our way over there. So which one are you?

That camp site is beautiful!! The only issue was I got a written warning from the forestry Ranger for parking down there. I guess that isn't a legit trail leading down the hill. I told the ranger it would have been nice if it was marked so people knew that but oh well at least it was only a written warning and not a ticket.
RidingCountry.com
Old 09-08-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
RonSavage
adventure maker

Oddometer: 71
I'm on the Husky,that's Ray in the background. We found the Bridge I didn't think it would ever happen.
RonSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:47 AM   #14
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSavage
I'm on the Husky,that's Ray in the background. We found the Bridge I didn't think it would ever happen.
That's a nice machine I spotted the ADV sticker on the back of Ray's bike when you guys were pulling away and hoped I'd bump into one of you on here.

I'll bet we must have had 15 people come down to the campsite looking for the bridge. I'm surprised that they don't have some kind of sign on the gate at the trail head.

Ok, Where was I

LOL!! I forgot about this.......... I was loading up the Go Pro with batteries and I looked down and here is someones brake pad lying in the parking lot........... I hope someone stopped to change them there and it didn't just fall out on there way down the hill :oops:

After leaving the General store I heading down the mountain to Gaddistown Rd and headed back into the mountains and the Forestry Service roads.

This was a cool little rd with some nice views, a little creek and some good twisty's :pumped:

Here is a little better Video of the service roads in N.GA

RidingCountry.com
Old 09-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

Here is a video leading from our campsite to 69c ( cell service spot )

RidingCountry.com