Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
gearguywb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Monatana/Monterra?

I am not a smart man (in my best Forest Gump voice).

Looking for a GPS for my GSA that I can also use for hiking, hunting, etc.

After reading part way through the million pages on each, I am more confused than ever before. Can you guys help me pare this down?

Thanks!
gearguywb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 486
Tell us more what you want from the unit.

In general, it Depends, can you live with more technical issues to get more features, get the Monterra. If you like to have just a gps, the Montana is probably to complicated as well.

I would say the future is with the Monterra, it is great to use it wireless to get new interest points, routes and tracks etc.

But you you need to accept it is more like a small computer device.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
gearguywb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The GPS features are certainly the main point. Being able to use it to capture routes for hiking, cache points, etc would be very useful as well. I would like to have the ability to download a route (for the bike or a hike) and follow it.

Having bluetooth directions and/or XM radio is nice but not a deal breaker.

My last unit (which I sold like a knucklehead) was a Garmin 665 and it did a very good job in the motorcycle GPS department.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
SonoraDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I've narrowed my GPS search to these two units as well and would like a versatile GPS that works for hiking and riding as well. GPS City has a good deal on the motorcycle package for the Montana 600 with powered mount. The Montana seems to have quite a following and is already proven. I'm just worried that if I go with the Montana over the Monterra I am buying obsolete technology. I have found many answers on the tutorials located at GPS City. I am leaning towards the Monterra with the preloaded topo maps but have a few questions.

1. Do you need the city navigator maps to get directions and use the Monterra on the road for trip planning?
2. Are there any other map options that work well that dont cost as much as the city navigator maps?
3. Is the lifetime updates for city navigator worth the extra money?
4. The Monterra comes with preloaded topo maps. If I buy the city navigator maps do I have to remove the topo maps? How are the city maps added to the unit? Is it just a Micro SD card placed in the back of the unit?
5. Since the Montana does not come with preloaded topo maps will I be able to use the topo maps and city navigator maps at the same time or do I have to change the Micro SD chip to switch between the two?
Can I still use Siri voice commands on my Iphone if using the blue tooth feature of the Monterra?
6. When my Iphone is linked to the Monterra will I be able to use apps like Panterra to listen to music?
7. How will the Monterra work in conjunction with my Iphone and my Senna SMH 10 helmet intercom.
8. Is a camera worth the extra money on the Montana 650 vs. Montana 600?
9. What mapping program will a person need to use either GPS on forrest roads?

Semper Fi
IBA 42163
SonoraDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoraDave View Post
I've narrowed my GPS search to these two units as well and would like a versatile GPS that works for hiking and riding as well. GPS City has a good deal on the motorcycle package for the Montana 600 with powered mount. The Montana seems to have quite a following and is already proven. I'm just worried that if I go with the Montana over the Monterra I am buying obsolete technology. I have found many answers on the tutorials located at GPS City. I am leaning towards the Monterra with the preloaded topo maps but have a few questions.

1. Do you need the city navigator maps to get directions and use the Monterra on the road for trip planning? Yes.
2. Are there any other map options that work well that dont cost as much as the city navigator maps? Yes, OSM Maps work well and are Free BUT, they may not have as good road detail or POIs as City Navigator.
3. Is the lifetime updates for city navigator worth the extra money? I think so if you plan to keep the device for it's lifetime.
4. The Monterra comes with preloaded topo maps. If I buy the city navigator maps do I have to remove the topo maps? How are the city maps added to the unit? Is it just a Micro SD card placed in the back of the unit? The value of the 100K Topo is to enable the 3D Map Merge feature. The Topo maps are not routable and have old road data. You decide where to install the maps on the Monterra (and all Garmin Hnadheld devices). You can install them in internal storage or on your own SD Card. Don't purchase City Navigator maps on SD Card as they cannot be updated.
5. Since the Montana does not come with preloaded topo maps will I be able to use the topo maps and city navigator maps at the same time or do I have to change the Micro SD chip to switch between the two? You can purchase the Montana with the same 100K Topo map but they are not worth it in my opinion for the Montana.
5a. Can I still use Siri voice commands on my Iphone if using the blue tooth feature of the Monterra? That depends on what features you want to use on the Monterra. The Monterra will only pair with a headset (your SMH10) using all profiles (HFP, HSP, A2DP). When paired you cannot use the iPhone for music or any other streaming audio--only Siri and cell-calls.
6. When my Iphone is linked to the Monterra will I be able to use apps like Panterra to listen to music? See previous answer.
7. How will the Monterra work in conjunction with my Iphone and my Senna SMH 10 helmet intercom. See previous answer.
8. Is a camera worth the extra money on the Montana 650 vs. Montana 600? Your call but it's a rather low cost option.
9. What mapping program will a person need to use either GPS on forrest roads? City Navigator for most and maybe the old Roads & Recreation (not routable) in some areas of the US.
See my replies in your quote.....

See my reviews link below for both of these GPS receivers...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
SonoraDave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
See my replies in your quote.....

See my reviews link below for both of these GPS receivers...
Thanks for the help!!!! I still am a bit confused just like Gearguywb said. The Montana seems like it would be sufficient but for a few bucks more I could have the latest in GPS tech. I guess if I wanted to keep all of my Iphone functions working I could just not pair it with the Monterra.

Semper Fi
IBA 42163
Old 03-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The Monterra is a cool device but the software is not so cool currently. Having a device like the Monterra that can't do selective Profile Pairing is like having a ten year old cell phone.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #8
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,568
So, quick question. What does the spanner mode do for the interface on the Montana. At least, other than make it flaky connecting to the computer over USB?
Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Spanner Mode is a remnant of older handheld devices that used Serial Port Protocols and NMEA to get data from the GSP. The Montana still supports them. That is why if you select NO, when asked if you want to be in USB Mode, the device becomes active (usable) with the USB connection still made to your computer.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
SonoraDave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Monterra is a cool device but the software is not so cool currently. Having a device like the Monterra that can't do selective Profile Pairing is like having a ten year old cell phone.
So it sounds like you like the Monterra but it is still in the betta testing phase with its tech. For a guy like me that wants a good all around GPS that works well in the car, on the bike and hiking I'm thinking the Montana may be the best value. I already have a smart phone and really don't need a GPS that duplicates the smart phones features. I really just need something to download tracks and keep me from getting lost in the forest and desert. My biggest concern is spending a big chunk of money on old technology. When do you think Garmin will fix the bugs in the Monterra? Thanks for all the information. The link you provided about the Monterra was interesting, but a bit over my head.

Semper Fi
IBA 42163
Old 03-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #11
gearguywb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

From reading a bit more about the Montana, is it Nicad battery only? No way to plug it into the 12v and run the unit from there?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguywb View Post
From reading a bit more about the Montana, is it Nicad battery only? No way to plug it into the 12v and run the unit from there?
The Montana has exposed (durable) contacts on the bottom that mate with powered mounts, either the car mount with a speaker or the rugged mount. Both mounts have cig-type plugs on them. I have cut off the rugged mount's cig plug and installed a Powerlet plug.

There is also a power cable available, but I believe it connects to the USB mini-B outlet on the back of the Montana. I.e. not so durable.

The battery is Lithium-ion.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #13
vaclove
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I own Montana 600 for more than one year. It is not so long ago when this gps was introduced and now it comes to me as surprise that Monterra is out. Before I had Oregon and also Bmw Navigator 3.
In comparison with the previous devices, Montana had some improvements, but after all, it is just a gps. The most reliable device was Bmw navigator, which did not pretend to be anything else than gps. WITH MONTANA, THERE WAS NOT ANY MIRACULOUS FEATURE THAT I WOULD CALL TECHNOLOGY LEAP. Most dissapointigly, it has became very clear that Garmin does not produce well thought devices anymore. More functions Monterra has, more likely it is it will be unreliable, just preparing ground for Monterra 2 comming soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
vaclove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #14
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaclove View Post
.... just preparing ground for Monterra 2 comming soon.
Don't count on it.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #15
DRZBRI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Glad these questions have been asked as I wan gps also with topo and road capabilities. Why can't someone develop something with a more intuitive user interface that can fill all the needs of an adventure / dual sport rider. These devices are all so far behind smart phones in their usability it is kind of sad.

08 R1200GS
98 VTR1000f
07 DRZ400s
DRZBRI is offline   Reply With Quote