Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 01:23 AM   #1
Richardson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Totally New... The more I read, the more confused I am

Planning a Canada to North Baja trip again... Done it before with no map, no gps, just headed west till I hit the Coast, then headed South till the road ended in Cabo... It was great! But...

This time I want to spend as much time exploring trails and off the highway routes as possible, mostly in Utah (7 days for sure)... Been considering doing the Backcountry Discovery Route... or at least the Southern half... plus other intersting points like white rim trail, etc...
I'd like to not waste time missing turns, or get lost in the middle of nowhere. I want to make the most efficient use of my time in Utah!

I've never used a GPS other then cheapo walmart car ones.

I need something for primarily trailriding with my Vstrom... Occasional use to find addresses in cities as well, but I have my Iphone + mcdonalds wifi for that.

I've spent the past couple nightshifts reading... The more I read, the more I have to ask. I don't want to spend over $300 after a mount, power cord, maps, etc.

I am fine using the cheapest one possible, even if it means throwing a condom on it in the rain or taking it in and outta my pocket. $100 saved on a GPS translates to a few more days of riding.

Someone list top 3 models they'd reccomend and why.. Pro's and Con's.

Thanks guys. I want to make my decision in the next couple days so I can get it here in time!
Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:38 AM   #2
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,511
Use your iPhone for all of it. There are plenty of Android apps that allow you to download maps for offline use. I am not versed in the ways of Apple, but I'm sure that since Android had some very nice offline navigation apps, Apple will too.

I'm planning on never using a dedicated GPS unit again.
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:47 AM   #3
Richardson OP
Adventurer

I have a Canadian Iphone locked on a plan here..

The iphone GPS normally only loads if I have wifi (I can't turn DATA on in the states and my carrier doesn't offer me a decent american data package)
Old Today, 02:01 AM   #4
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardson View Post
I have a Canadian Iphone locked on a plan here..

The iphone GPS normally only loads if I have wifi (I can't turn DATA on in the states and my carrier doesn't offer me a decent american data package)
I think you mean the maps only load when you have WiFi. The GPS should always work. You can download maps for use when you don't have WiFi. I know Co Pilot is one such app available for Apple. Co pilot is a good on road navigation app. It doesn't work well offroad though as it always wants to snap to a road.
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:20 AM   #5
Richardson OP
Adventurer

While travelling Europe, I would often let my iphone gps map load a neighbourhood while I had wifi... which seamed to work most of the time.
Although sometimes, my indicator would sometimes disappear fromt he map for extended periods (until i found wifi again) or my phone would glitch and the map would go blank.
On a multi-day ride there is also the issue of accidentally killing the battery throughout the day.
Old Today, 04:34 AM   #6
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardson View Post
Planning a Canada to North Baja trip again... Done it before with no map, no gps, just headed west till I hit the Coast, then headed South till the road ended in Cabo... It was great! But...

This time I want to spend as much time exploring trails and off the highway routes as possible, mostly in Utah (7 days for sure)... Been considering doing the Backcountry Discovery Route... or at least the Southern half... plus other intersting points like white rim trail, etc...
I'd like to not waste time missing turns, or get lost in the middle of nowhere. I want to make the most efficient use of my time in Utah!

I've never used a GPS other then cheapo walmart car ones.

I need something for primarily trailriding with my Vstrom... Occasional use to find addresses in cities as well, but I have my Iphone + mcdonalds wifi for that.

I've spent the past couple nightshifts reading... The more I read, the more I have to ask. I don't want to spend over $300 after a mount, power cord, maps, etc.

I am fine using the cheapest one possible, even if it means throwing a condom on it in the rain or taking it in and outta my pocket. $100 saved on a GPS translates to a few more days of riding.

Someone list top 3 models they'd reccomend and why.. Pro's and Con's.

Thanks guys. I want to make my decision in the next couple days so I can get it here in time!

Top three:

1 iphone / 2 android + whatever navigation app you like
3 something expensive from garmin + something expensive for maps + some time getting to know what you thought it should be able to do, but can't

pros
1 (iphone) it's in your pocket already, and there are a TON of waterproof cases for them, along with great software that does everything a gps needs to do.
2 (android) it's cheap, there are rugged units that don't need a case, and the gps software has more options than the iphone softare
3 (standalone gps) someone here has likely already traveled that route, and can tell you which unit would do it ok

cons
1 (iphone) you might need to unlock it for cellular use in the states ?
2 (android) you might have to hop on ebay and spend $70 ?
3 (standalone) you might have to hop on ebay and spend $700 ?

cellular data is not needed for using the gps hardware that is in your iphone. cellular data is not needed for maps. cellular data, is simply, not needed. download your app and state wide maps prior to leaving, and you're set.

The really bad downside is, you have not much time to figure out what you like or hate about whichever device you pick, and then there is the even more maddening process of finding out what you like or REALLY HATE about the software that it contains.

Personally, if I had an iphone in my pocket, i'd buy an otterbox, install motionx or galileo, download some maps, and ride. If I had an android in my pocket, I'd use locus pro, osmand, or here maps. If i had a garmin, I'd sell it and buy a rugged android phone.
Old Today, 06:47 AM   #7
919nick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I'd use Copilot for the on road navigation and Galileo for offroad. Assuming you have space on your phone to hold the maps.

I'd choose Galileo over MotionX for the offroad piece because the maps take up less space.

Or just buy an eTrex.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...garmin%20etrex

http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/deta...-etrex-20.html
919nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:29 AM   #8
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
You mentioned "I've never used a GPS other then cheapo walmart car ones." Do you recall which ones? Depending what they were, one of them might be enough for you trip. You may not have been using them to their fullest capability.
Old Today, 10:14 AM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,650
What iPhone model are you using? Waterproof/Dustproof cases are available for most models.

I agree with 919nick on App choice. CoPilot Premium HD for US & Canada is $15USD and Galileo Pro is $4USD

CoPilot will accept route point files in TRP file format to calculate your routes - although it takes a bit of knowhow (not difficult). CoPilot will provide turn-by-turn directions for your routing without the need for cell-signal.

Galileo Pro also has offline maps and supports importing Points of Interest (Waypoints) and Tracks for you to follow (navigate). No need for cell-signal.

You can use the free online Trip Planner Furkot.com to plan you route and create your waypoints and then Export the files in the formats you will need: GPX Tracks & Waypoints for Galileo and TRP for CoPilot Routes.

That is about as cheap as it gets. Oh, there is help here for all of the above.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post Today at 10:26 AM
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:25 AM   #10
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,098
My recco.

Pros: It's small, light, full featured and connected to 12v via the most rugged method - Garmin's 4 Pin power plug.
Con's: None, unless you've got really bad eyesight. The screen isn't any smaller than the other models 60csx, etc, but it is smaller than Garmin Montana, 478 etc.

Garmin 78 - $165
Maps - $75
Ram Mount - $40
12V 4pin Garmin power cable - $15

$295 Total