Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 04:13 AM   #1
RamblinJim OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
What is a good GPS

I'm contemplating buying a GPS. I want something simple and easy to see preferably able to be updated with hema maps and tracks. I've been looking at the Strike Genius BT on E-Bay $295.00 , anyone have any suggestions.
RamblinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:15 AM   #2
Reklaw59
Softroader

Oddometer: 291
....anything but a Garmin Zumo 660.
Reklaw59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:23 AM   #3
RamblinJim OP
n00b

Fair enough, what was wrong with that one.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:28 AM   #4
Not the Messiah
Not the Messiah

Oddometer: 213
I have Tom Tom built-in in my car and it's reasonably easy to use and easy to update - their website works well.
I have BMW Navigator 5 (Garmin ?Nuvo xxx) on my bike, and it's quite easy to use when it is working. It's been back to Garmin twice in it's first year for fixes. Garmin's website is bloody confusing and not at all friendly for a cyber-ancient.

Good luck!
Not the Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:18 PM   #5
lowrpm
Tar Baby

Oddometer: 1,354
Garmin?

I've had my Garmin Zumo 660 for a few years and I love it. Never failed, although it can be slow. Garmin on the other hand are a pain in the ass. Poor customer service, rip-off merchants and yes, the website can be confusing. But nothing else out there allows you the same capability when planning ahead to plot your precise course, view it on maps and in Google Earth, then upload to the device. Just wish it was made by someone else.
lowrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:36 PM   #6
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinJim View Post
I'm contemplating buying a GPS. I want something simple and easy to see preferably able to be updated with hema maps and tracks. I've been looking at the Strike Genius BT on E-Bay $295.00 , anyone have any suggestions.
The screen is only 3.5 inch. (If I'm looking at the right thing).

Don't know how old you are, or condition of eyes but for my 53 yo with stuffed eyes that would be marginal. I found the Garmin Oregon with it's 3" screen marginal.

If you want the Hema maps, I'm guessing you will want to plan rides. Hema maps (in my experience) are not routing so you will need some way to plan tracks etc. And then download them to the unit. Does the Strike allow this?

I updated from the Oregon to the Zumo 590LM. It's pricey, I only got it because I got a great deal. For the prices you get bike/car mounts and lifetime updates of the maps.

I'm sure somebody will be along soon to suggest a tablet (or smartphone).

So some questions to ask and a suggestion.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:29 AM   #7
GoneRideabout
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumbs down I wouldn't recommend the Strike Genius

I bought a Strike Genius BT last year and had a bad experience with them. Within a couple of months it would freeze while riding along.When they replaced it they did so with a reconditioned unit that didn't work at all. The third unit would randomly power down. I got my money back in the end but it was a pain in the ass.
GoneRideabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:40 AM   #8
Reklaw59
Softroader

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Fair enough, what was wrong with that one.
Overpriced, overrated, temperamenal, poor quality, no back up by Garmin.
The best functions are the ETA, distance to destination, but they all do that.
Based on my own experience as a techno numpty.
Reklaw59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #9
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:

1 I'm contemplating buying a GPS.

2 I want something simple and easy to see preferably able to be updated with hema maps and tracks.

3 I've been looking at the Strike Genius BT on E-Bay $295.00 ,

4 anyone have any suggestions.
1 great, there are a bunch to choose from.
2 ok, now you're looking at a much smaller group of devices and applications
3 for that much, you might as well buy into the garmin crowd of basecramp and paying extra for maps
4 oh, do i ? absolutely:

HEMA's webpage http://www.hemamaps.com.au/ shows they produce an application for both android and iphone. I have no idea what the quality of it is, but for what they're asking ($22) it better be good !

If it isn't there is a slew of other applications that work OFFLINE, and do not need cellular service for anything.

I've been using android applications for a while to plot routes, record tracks, waypoints, geocache, navigate, and generally, everything a gps is normally used for.

Some common questions are:

a) i heard the gps won't work without cellular service, is this true ?

no, it's incorrect. the gps antenna will work just fine without cellular service

b) i heard garmin was the only gps worth having on the planet, is this true ?

no, it's incorrect. there are about 1 million gps devices sold every day, but most people don't realize just how powerful that smartphone in their pocket is.

c) but i heard garmin was the only place to get maps, and only maps that cost $189 are worth having, is this true ?

no, it's incorrect. there are plenty of resources for maps, both paid and free, that are updated and corrected on a weekly, if not, daily basis.

d) but my cousin said he's SURE that a smartphone can't see satellites as well as a real gps, a GARMIN gps, is he right ?

well, i dunno, but i'm looking at about 30-33feet accuracy, while sitting in my basement, under large trees, on a pretty rainy day:

e) i knew it, that's terrible accuracy ... so smartphones all suck at gps satellite acquisition, and never get really accurate like a garmin ?

actually, when i'm outside, even with dense tree cover, i normally see +/- 9 feet, so i guess that's pretty good for motorcycling. without tree cover, +/- 3 feet is common.

I feel the need to apologize, because some people might get the impression I'm being sarcastic towards them, as they are asking for advice... but i'm not. What you have to keep in mind is the handheld segment has lost a lot of it's luster over the last few years, and it's just hard for some people to understand that there are better tools for doing things now. Kind of like carbs vs EFI vs direct injection. Technology marches on.

If you're interested in persuing the smartphone/tablet idea, there's a thread for that here on advrider. It's very thorough, very lengthy, and very critical of failure points for both devices AND applications. Nothing sugar coated, just the facts. :)

If you're not interested in doing that, I aplogize for the long read, and hope you enjoy your new device, whatever it may be. :)
Old 04-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
RamblinJim OP
n00b

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at the app thingy that sounds promising. Oh and a big screen would be good too I'm 53 too and only need glasses for reading. Stopping to put them on is a pain in the butt so a bigger screen would be nice.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:18 AM   #11
trailguru
n00b

Feedback from590LM users please

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at the app thingy that sounds promising. Oh and a big screen would be good too I'm 53 too and only need glasses for reading. Stopping to put them on is a pain in the butt so a bigger screen would be nice.
I didn't like/cope with Garmin adn TomTom teenie screens so, over the last several years, I've used cheap (45 in the UK) Chinese 5" tablets loaded with the superb IGo Primo navigation software. Now, with the 590LM, Garmin seemed to have just about caught up with what this budget combination delivered as standard. Despite the 10x price difference I'm seriously tempted but there's quite a few things I'd be keen to learn from 590LM users....

Is it reasonably easy to plan a route directly on the device? It is with IGo Primo.
Can you upload routes planned on an Android?
Is Basecamp compatible with Android devices?
Is the MP3 player sound quality good?
Is there a 'jump link' from the home screen to a configurable 'favourites' list? e.g: to delete last waypoint, access music player, sound levels, change viewpoint etc.
Do you have a selection of day/night map displays to choose from?
Can you choose the amount of audio info (verbosity) spoken?

I've asked Garmin but their responses have been, to be polite, less than satisfactory. No change there then!
trailguru is offline   Reply With Quote