User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Most basic garmin gps for speed that has a weatherproof 12v connection?

I'm looking for a basic garmin gps that displays speed in a nice clear fashion, that I can use a ram mount to handlebar mount and wire up to the 12v supply from the bike with a weatherproof connection.
My gpsmap 60c did just that but I foolishly sold it when I got the zumo 590. I've now decided I don't use most of the features from the 590 so I'm going to sell it.

Looking at the garmin website it seems most of the newer ones have USB for power, which I guess isn't weather proof.
I don't mind an older model that I can hardwire.
Cheers
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
I just picked up a used StreetPilot 2720. I'm quite happy with it and it seems to fit what you're looking for. Speed is easy enough to read while riding. Waterproof, pin connection on the back, reads fine in sunlight, and they're around $50 on fleabay.

There are a lot of more basic gps units I'm sure, but for the price, why bother?

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
60--, 76-- or 78-; all use that good power connector. All are discontinued/on clearance. Get one while you can.

"Sometimes you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"
Old 07-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
5 Hour Butt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Excellent GPS Garmin 276C

One interesting thing is I took a ride today and when I got home the max speed had gone up to 560.3 mph which I decided to add as a comment to this post I did.

It is an old one but it is the one I use and it works incredibly well for motorcycling since it was originally designed for use in fishing boats which is why it is waterproof and weatherproof. I've had mine for 10 years and I use Basecamp with City Navigator. I can make custom routes and load them to the GPS. One thing to know is connect the 276C to the computer using the mini USB to USB cable before you start Basecamp. That is because Basecamp looks for GPS's as it starts and that is why you always need to have it connected before you start Basecamp.

One other nice thing is it shows your speed as you ride and I use it for my speedometer since it is much more accurate than the speedo the bike has. One humorous thing is as it calculates your max speed it can make an error because it sometimes does that during a curve which causes the error. On mine this image shows that it calculated the max speed as 260.2 mph. Just one other thing is the display is the Trip Computer page and when I ride I always have the map page on display.
Attached Images

5 Hour Butt screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 07:26 AM
5 Hour Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Hour Butt View Post
It is an old one but it is the one I use and it works incredibly well for motorcycling since it was originally designed for use in fishing boats which is why it is waterproof and weatherproof. I've had mine for 10 years and I use Basecamp with City Navigator. I can make custom routes and load them to the GPS. One thing to know is connect the 276C to the computer using the mini USB to USB cable before you start Basecamp. That is because Basecamp looks for GPS's as it starts and that is why you always need to have it connected before you start Basecamp.

One other nice thing is it shows your speed as you ride and I use it for my speedometer since it is much more accurate than the speedo the bike has. One humorous thing is as it calculates your max speed it can make an error because it sometimes does that during a curve which causes the error. On mine this image shows that it calculated the max speed as 260.2 mph.
As nice as that one is. I'm thinking something more in the $50 range than the $500 range.

I literally need speed, and that's it. As long as it had the option to buy some sort of waterproof power cable I'll be set.

It seems like a gps 60 is the most likely winner.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
60--, 76-- or 78-; all use that good power connector. All are discontinued/on clearance.
+1

The only three choices for your criteria and all are small hand helds.

Is 78 discontimued?
Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
No. Lazy typing. But it does seem to be at (near) "clear-out" pricing a lot lately.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Max speed errors are caused by temporary loss of signal, causing the GPS to lose track of where you are and then miscalculating the speed to get to the new spot when it finds you again. It has nothing at all to do with corners.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
5 Hour Butt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
My View of Your Comment

Just letting you know that I always know what the signal strength is and my GPS doesn't lose reception. Where I live the signal strength is always perfect! I just wanted to let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
Max speed errors are caused by temporary loss of signal, causing the GPS to lose track of where you are and then miscalculating the speed to get to the new spot when it finds you again. It has nothing at all to do with corners.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Hour Butt View Post
Just letting you know that I always know what the signal strength is and my GPS doesn't lose reception. Where I live the signal strength is always perfect! I just wanted to let you know.
How do you know? Your gps isn't an accurate way of telling the signal.
I presume you have trees, hills, buildings and weather where you live? If so you don't always have a perfect signal.

Without going too technical your GPS can easily lag by 10-30 seconds, saying it has a good signal when it doesn't, and then getting the signal back before it decides to tell you it's lost it. It can also receive reflected signals which also can cause errors. That's why although 3 satellites is enough for a fix, 10 or more are typically used at once to balance out the errors.

That fact you get crazy high speed reading proves you are having signal issues at some points. To say you have a perfect signal is naive to how a GPS works. We all have the same signal. The immediate local environment can however effect the signal.

Your theory about corners is not correct. A corner is a change in location over time. Same as a straight. Your gps doesn't care if you do corners, straights or loop the loops. It measures your position on earth, and if that changes it times the changes to give you a speed.
When moving most GPS will give good accuracy, the movement cancels out errors which you can get when standing still. But even a momentary loss of signal can screw with the readings.