Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
crag antler OP
In the woods lurking

Oddometer: 490
Which Garmin handheld with 12v

I've seen the garmin 62s for sale @ $199 thru Cabellas.
From searching the posts here, it seems a problem that it does not hook up to 12v.
From everything else it seems like a good starter GPS for me as a handheld and for the DR.
Any thoughts would be great as this would be my 1st GPS.
2000 Kawasaki Concours
1976 Yamaha DT400
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
With a good set of NiMH rechargeables you'll get through a day no problem.
Otherwise get a 78s which has the 12V power. Same guts as 62s plus it floats.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,202
Watch for 78 at WestMarine.com

Personally I have no use for the "S", save your money.

Or watch for close out or used 60 or 76Cx
Old 10-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #4
MultiDV8
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I've been using a 62S in a Ram Mount on my Trail bike for more than 3 years. I power it from a Garmin cigarette lighter power device which I hardwired to the bike battery through a switch.
I use it regularly in rough terrain and all types of weather ( mostly dry and dusty but occasionally tropical rain ) with never a problem.
I was wary of the USB connector but it has never failed under what I consider very adverse conditions
MultiDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiDV8 View Post
I've been using a 62S in a Ram Mount on my Trail bike for more than 3 years. I power it from a Garmin cigarette lighter power device which I hardwired to the bike battery through a switch.
There are much better external power supplies available than a clunky cigarette lighter type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiDV8 View Post
I use it regularly in rough terrain and all types of weather ( mostly dry and dusty but occasionally tropical rain ) with never a problem.
I was wary of the USB connector but it has never failed under what I consider very adverse conditions
And what do you conclude from this one test? None will ever fail, or that you have been lucky?

How do you factor in all the other reports of Mini USB connector failures that makes the GPS useless?

How do you factor in the cases of the external power supply getting wet, failing, outputting 12 V to the 5V input of the GPS, and toasting the GPS?

What is the downside from just using a 78 which is identical to the 62 but actually has 12 V power input?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
MultiDV8
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
There are much better external power supplies available than a clunky cigarette lighter type.

They can't be that much better if they fail and output 12V
A simple Zener Diode would stop that happening

And what do you conclude from this one test? None will ever fail, or that you have been lucky?

Its not one test, its been used on thousands of rides over approx 30,000 Klms under varying conditions without a single issue.
I've taken care to ensure the connector is properly supported and protected when not in use.
Maybe I have been lucky too.

How do you factor in all the other reports of Mini USB connector failures that makes the GPS useless?

Can't comment, can only speculate that not enough care was taken with mounting and strain relief on the connector.
I always carry batteries as plan B should something happen to the Power supply or I have to walk to help

How do you factor in the cases of the external power supply getting wet, failing, outputting 12 V to the 5V input of the GPS, and toasting the GPS?

The External power supply is inadequate for the application .
Mine is hard wired and sealed in heat shrink.

What is the downside from just using a 78 which is identical to the 62 but actually has 12 V power input?
Additional cost, size, performance . I previously had a 60 and agree the power connector was a much better option.
If the USB connector on my 62 ever fails I'll consider hardwiring a small flying lead on to it, but considering the life it's had I'd probably replace it.
MultiDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #7
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post

I haven't use one but the issue I wonder about is, "Do you guys using the 78 find your hand blocks your view of the screen when pushing the buttons?"

I know that may sound like a stupid question but I was imagining it would be more difficult to navigate thru various screens and see what you were doing at the same time?

Another question for you all - anyone know if the Garmin Rhino 655/650 has that same 4 pin power connector the 60CSx has? (Is there a proper name for that connector?) I noticed it also has an internal, rechargeable battery. From looking at it, it looks like you might be able to use AA's? I couldn't find any info on that though...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
... "Do you guys using the 78 find your hand blocks your view of the screen when pushing the buttons?" ...
Valid question:
- When handheld, yes, the view of the screen is partially blocked. But I've never had a problem with having to move my hand out of the way before the next button push, it's just a slight rotation of the wrist to get the base of the thumb out of the way of the screen.
- When in the RAM cradle it's easy to avoid blocking the screen while pushing buttons.
For handheld use buttons below screen would be better.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I haven't use one but the issue I wonder about is, "Do you guys using the 78 find your hand blocks your view of the screen when pushing the buttons?" ...
Very common thought but if you "Search" 76 or 78, you will not find one post by any owner that says hand ever blocks screen.

Usually the GPS is basically in front of you, your arm and elbow is way over on the left so with index finger, the screen is not blocked. This would be when stopped.

If you try to watch screen and see to push button while riding, I would sorry much more about hiting a tree or on coming car. YOu know where the buttons are, and push them while watching the road/trail, then look down at screen. This is true with 60/62 or 76/78.

When hand held, I use thumbs while holding GPS with 4 or 8 fingers. Again thimb will not block screen.