ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #166
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,046
[QUOTE=Crawdaddy;15586192] That would be ideal but it's often not the case.......I've worked the download table at many organized events........you'd be surprised how many folks show up with no idea how to operate their GPS units at a fundamental level......a simple question like, "Did you clear the tracklog?" is often met with a blank "How do you do that?" stare as Jerry can attest.......

Promoters have never had the need to provide instructions on turning tracks on/off or coloring them because we typically download with all tracks pre-colored and displayed on the maps......[/QUOTE]

One of the issues is the 62 will then change them all back to the same color.

My 62 is much slower than my 60. I'm guesing it probably is faster actually but it has more stuff to process? Kind of like which computers hard drive holds more pictures? My old 100 GB or my new 320 GB one. In my case the 100 GB one is full of pics taken with a camera that shoots +/- .7 meg pics and got a new 14 meg camera w/ the new computer where the average pic size is about 4 1/5 megs. So the old one holds 2X as many .
It just like the GPS if you appreciate the extra detail its not a bad thing; if you are completely fine with .7 meg detail its frusterating!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #167
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 630
I just picked up a 62s and wow it squeaks like a flock of geese (stole that from the sidi adventure boot thread, but thats what it sounds like) really annoying. Is this a problem with all of them, or did I just get a bad one?

Other than that it seems pretty good. Fairly simple to figure out.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #168
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Got my hands on first 78 (assume 62 works the same) this weekend and have some quesitons:

2) When I downloaded 10 tracks with all colors set and on/off status of each set, it changed the settings to some default preference. Another case of Garmin is much smarter than the user?

New member and have read virtually all threads related to the Garmin 62s and 78s GPS. This site is an outstanding resource... so thank you!

Any update on the track color bug reported here with the 78? Any work arounds for this if not?

There is a local club that meets in Folsom CA(GCDSR) that organizes lots of DS rides and I believe you can download tracks at the start of the event, or off the web site before. My goal is compatibility with what these guys provide. Not sure if the track color problem will be an issue with these guys if it still exists.

Recently purchased a KLX 250S and am looking for a GPS that will get me to the trail head(routing I suspect) and then allow me to follow tracks that Ive created or downloaded. I dont believe I will be doing any multi day trips, mostly exploring the Sierra Nevadas around where I live. My interest is in running fire roads, and easy scenic single tracks and recording the good ones for others to enjoy.

I realize the 60 and 76 are very popular and tried and true. I would prefer the expanded tracks and points of the newer models, along with loading multiple maps etc.

I much prefer the look of the 62s over the 78s so am unsure here. Again, 99% of what I will do is day trips so not sure if the power plug will be an issue. My bike is a 250, so not sure if size is an issue or not with either model.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

David
djborden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #169
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
David, With the GCDSR group the Garmin 60CSX is the most popular, I would go in that direction.

Still you have to buy the mapping programs to load the tracks, mounts, so take that in account in the purchase price.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap-60csx.html
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #170
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,959
Downloading Wayponts to 78

I have a friend that is doing the Pony Express in two weeks.

He is having trouble downloading Waypoints to his 78. He says they download and he can use find - go to but they don't just all show on the map.

Any tricks he is overlooking?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #171
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by djborden View Post
Any update on the track color bug reported here with the 78? Any work arounds for this if not?
This is the issue reported in this thread regarding the import of colored tracks into the 78(possible the 62 as well) and the colors being changed during the import.

If anyone has some feedback here I would really appreciate it.

David
Old 05-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #172
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This is the issue reported in this thread regarding the import of colored tracks into the 78(possible the 62 as well) and the colors being changed during the import.

If anyone has some feedback here I would really appreciate it. David
I have only had two customers (possibley 1 twice) with a 78 and that is what they did. Even worse the tracks were loaded as "Off".

I was wondering if a coustomer already had 150 tracks loaded and then I download 20 new ones, is there any easy way for him to find them to fix them?

If the only way to view a list of the tracks is alpha/numeric then it is very imortant that the first few charachters of the name is identical.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #173
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Jerry,

I called Garmin, and explained the problem people were reporting/experiencing with the track colors re-setting and being turned off. The tech support person decided to try loading different colored tracks to a 62 and see what happened while I was on the phone with him. He colored a number of them different colors and then imported them and they stayed the colors he had imported them as. Again, this was on the 62 and since it was a support person I assume the latest firmware.

If he would be willing to detail the process he used for importing them and send them via email so I could share with the forum.

This was his reply:
----------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Borden,

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

It was a pleasure speaking with you today.

As per your request, please find the instructions on setting up the tracks in BaseCamp below. Please be advised that this was done with the GPSMap62st, using the latest software update (Version 2.80) and the latest version of BaseCamp (Version 3.1.3).

To change the color of a track, please follow the instructions below:
1. Open BaseCamp (can be downloaded from our website at )
2. Select the tracks (download or create tracks as desired)
3. Click on the first track you wish to use
4. Select the ‘Properties’ tab
5. Change the color on the right-hand side of the screen under the ‘Properties’ tab
6. Send the track to the device (drag and drop to ‘All Data’)

I would suggest creating a new list and moving all tracks for one race into one list. To do so, please follow these steps:
1. In BaseCamp, right-click on ‘My collection’
2. In the menu select ‘Add New List to Library’
3. Name the list (I usually choose the race or a creative, memorable track name)

You can send you tracks for this race to this ‘List’, and then the entire set to your device. This makes archiving easier.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

---------------------------

Does this differ from your process, or any other persons process who had the problem importing the tracks and having the colors reset?

David
Old 05-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #174
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Jerry,
Does this differ from your process, or any other persons process who had the problem importing the tracks and having the colors reset? David
That is the only way I know to set color on PC with Mapsource. My only experience is with 78. It may be different than 62 or they may have fixed it and new or upgraded 78s will now not change color.

You did not ask about 62/78 turning tracks "Off" that were set to be "On" before downloading?

What is the Drag and Drop to "all data"? New one to me, is that a BaseCamp thing?

In Mapsource you just use Download Icon.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #175
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
...What is the Drag and Drop to "all data"? New one to me, is that a BaseCamp thing?...
Nope, its a device thing on the new style devices that use the mass storage paradigm but it is sort of equivalent to a BaseCamp thing.

Instead of individual files in BaseCamp everything is put into a database called "My Collection" which is managed by BaseCamp so you never actually have to save stuff to a file as you must in MapSource. But you are able to assign the data from My Collection to named lists that you can then select and save out as files which can be used in MapSource or other programs that can import gpx, gdb and other similar file types. Likewise if you import a GPX or GDB file into BaseCamp its contents are put into your "My Collection" database and into a named list also which has the same name as the file you imported.

You don't actually have two copies of the data because the named list really just points to the particular data in My Collection database.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #176
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
Nope, its a device thing on the new style devices that use the mass storage paradigm but it is sort of equivalent to a BaseCamp thing.

Instead of individual files in BaseCamp everything is put into a database called "My Collection" which is managed by BaseCamp so you never actually have to save stuff to a file as you must in MapSource.
Sounds like all data is in the BC application or in a file that only it manages? More dumbdown.

My data would be a gig or so, on my old PC 15 minutes to open. Hope I never have to go to that system!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #177
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Quick easy question on the 62. If you are running on battery power with the backlight OFF. Can you set it so the screen stays on? If you can run with the screen on at all times, does the quoted/measured battery life of 17 + hours apply?

Quote:
That is the only way I know to set color on PC with Mapsource. My only experience is with 78. It may be different than 62 or they may have fixed it and new or upgraded 78s will now not change color.

You did not ask about 62/78 turning tracks "Off" that were set to be "On" before downloading?
Jerry, I think I asked him that... but Im not 100% sure. I called them jetlagged after a 13 hour flight sitting in the airport waiting for yet another connection The tech support answered quickly so I suspect they could answer that in short order.

My assumption is he would have mentioned it turning off the tracks if it did, since he went through the whole process of coloring tracks and then importing them into a 62st and then checking if they were there and colored correctly(they were). He did say the software was the same for the 62 and 78 models.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #178
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Sounds like all data is in the BC application or in a file that only it manages? More dumbdown.

My data would be a gig or so, on my old PC 15 minutes to open. Hope I never have to go to that system!
Gotta disagree with the dumbdown part. Using a database to handle large volumes of waypoints, tracks and routes is what machines are good at, or, at least better at than me. It means I only need one waypoint named home or Joes, etc. I don't have to make a new one as I would in Mapsource if it was in another file. It also means that if I make a change to a waypoint and that waypoint is used in many different lists that change shows up in all of the lists without me having to change it in the individual lists. Guess I'm more of a database kind of guy than a file kind of guy.

That said... a gig of data is a LOT especially in a flat file let alone a database. If you layer that much stuff onto a map how can you even see the map? Dunno how long it would take BaseCamp to open a database that large but it would be a while.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #179
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Quick easy question on the 62. If you are running on battery power with the backlight OFF. Can you set it so the screen stays on? If you can run with the screen on at all times, does the quoted/measured battery life of 17 + hours.
Pretty sure the screen can be made to stay on by not selecting "Power Saver". Not sure about the quoted battery life since I use NiZn batteries which last much longer than 17 hours. I think the 17 hour estimate is for Alkalines.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #180
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
It means I only need one waypoint named home or Joes, etc. I don't have to make a new one as I would in Mapsource if it was in another file. It also means that if I make a change to a waypoint and that waypoint is used in many different lists that change shows up in all of the lists without me having to change it in the individual lists.

That said... a gig of data is a LOT especially in a flat file let alone a database. If you layer that much stuff onto a map how can you even see the map? Dunno how long it would take BaseCamp to open a database that large but it would be a while.
I have one small set of Waypoints and they are all in my GPS. I don't "change" them and don't have any in "lists" what ever that is.

All my big data is in Tracks. Take a look at my files on GPSXchange.com I have several thousand miles of Active log. I have to split or filter many files just to post them because of size. I can't even imagine all that data in one file.

I did install BC (correctly named), knowing more about it with your explanation I try to play with it and see what I can do with it.