ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #181
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
All my big data is in Tracks. Take a look at my files on GPSXchange.com I have several thousand miles of Active log. I have to split or filter many files just to post them because of size. I can't even imagine all that data in one file.
I have ALL my tracks and waypoints in Google Earth. GE keeps everything in one "My Places" file. I make folders inside My Places to keep things organized. Before a ride, I select the folder I want, and "Save As" in KML format, then use GPSbabel to convert to GDB or GPX format for the GPS.

This approach allows me to see EVERYTHING at one time in GE if I want, or just a small selection of tracks and waypoints, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. It's not the greatest system, but it's the best I've found for the type of track preparation that I do. I spend more time on the computer than I do on the trail because of the amount of route planning that's needed, and the amount of time I have available to ride (I wish it was the other way around). There are very few if any GPS tracks available in the places I go these days, and when I do find such tracks (damn you Crawdaddy!), I try to change my path so there's minimal duplication.

My GE file has several thousand miles of my own tracks, and thousands of waypoints. Most are hand-drawn, not Active Logs, so they have fewer points. Currently it's almost a 10MB KMZ file (compressed). On a slow machine, it can take 20 minutes to load, so I usually just leave GE opened 24-7 on my main computer, so I don't have to wait everytime I need it.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #182
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
....There are very few if any GPS tracks available in the places I go these days, and when I do find such tracks (damn you Crawdaddy!), I try to change my path so there's minimal duplication.....
......wish "I" had more time to ride too!
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #183
Rubber Jonny
n0b

Oddometer: 37
I have just got a Garmin 62ST, I have previously had a 60C (broken) and 60CX (stolen) and used RAM mounts to attach them to my handlebars, how are people finding the ram mounts for the 62 series? They do not look like they hold the gps as tight as the 60 series mount, are they good enough to keep my GPS safe during serious off road poundings?

Cheers.
Rubber Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #184
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Jonny View Post
I have just got a Garmin 62ST, I have previously had a 60C (broken) and 60CX (stolen) and used RAM mounts to attach them to my handlebars, how are people finding the ram mounts for the 62 series? They do not look like they hold the gps as tight as the 60 series mount, are they good enough to keep my GPS safe during serious off road poundings?

Cheers.
I think it holds the 62 better, but is not a very good design in my opinion. It's not easy to put the gps in the mount, and it's also not easy to connect up the usb power cable.

And don't even try to take the gps out of the mount if you haven't closed the rubber power cable hatch properly.

But I'm not sure there are many mount alternatives for the 62 right now. The Garmin rail mount is ok, but not really up to serious off-road stuff.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #185
Rubber Jonny
n0b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think it holds the 62 better, but is not a very good design in my opinion. It's not easy to put the gps in the mount, and it's also not easy to connect up the usb power cable.

And don't even try to take the gps out of the mount if you haven't closed the rubber power cable hatch properly.

But I'm not sure there are many mount alternatives for the 62 right now. The Garmin rail mount is ok, but not really up to serious off-road stuff.

Thats interesting, you think it holds the gps better than a 60 mount!

I do not have a battery on my bike so run the gps off its internal power (i have read the "discussion" on bike power v interntal power on here, lots of opionions in that thread) so am not fussed about connectiong cables etc all I worry about is it falling off and getting lost when i am in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #186
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Jonny View Post
Thats interesting, you think it holds the gps better than a 60 mount!

I do not have a battery on my bike so run the gps off its internal power (i have read the "discussion" on bike power v interntal power on here, lots of opionions in that thread) so am not fussed about connectiong cables etc all I worry about is it falling off and getting lost when i am in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you.
I forgot the other thing I'm not crazy about with the RAM 62 mount: it kinda gets in the way of the bottom buttons when your gloves are bulky. But aside from those issues, it works reasonably well.

Certainly is more solid than the 60 mount.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #187
Rubber Jonny
n0b

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #188
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
You did not ask about 62/78 turning tracks "Off" that were set to be "On" before downloading?
I sent them a note about ths specific questions. This is the response I got from Garmin tech support:(I added the 62 after confirming with tech support)

----------------------------------
The 62/78 series will always disable tracks loaded. There is not any settings that can be set to change this. The 60CSx is the opposite as they transfer, as being already shown on map. The big difference between the devices is the 60CSx will only support 20 saved tracks and the 62/78 will support 200.

Apparently they have them off by default due to track capacity of the devices.

David
djborden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #189
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Can anyone speak to the battery life of the 62 or 78(any version of either) with the display set to ON but backlight OFF.

Also, if you have any feedback on what the battery life might be with maybe 50% backlight or whatever?

David
Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #190
Rubber Jonny
n0b

I have been playing with my 62st but it wont connect to fugawi version 2, I havent changed any settings just plugged it in the same as I did with my 60cx. Has anyone else changed from a 60 to a 62 series and use fugawi? How did you get it to connect??

Cheers.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #191
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by djborden View Post
I sent them a note about ths specific questions. This is the response I got from Garmin tech support:(I added the 62 after confirming with tech support)

The 62/78 series will always disable tracks loaded. There is not any settings that can be set to change this. The 60CSx is the opposite as they transfer, as being already shown on map. The big difference between the devices is the 60CSx will only support 20 saved tracks and the 62/78 will support 200.

Apparently they have them off by default due to track capacity of the devices. David
That is what I figured. Too bad they did not see a better solution would be to put the ability to turn Tracks On/Off back into Mapsource so people could view and change it before downloading to hand helds.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #192
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That is what I figured. Too bad they did not see a better solution would be to put the ability to turn Tracks On/Off back into Mapsource so people could view and change it before downloading to hand helds.
Agreed Jerry, or put the option on the device to set the default method of inport. That should be easy to do.

Maybe if Garmin ping folks with the request it might get implemented.

BTW, REI has the 62S for $279 right now on their web site... Thats a freaking great deal, $119 off the going price. I ordered one and am going to give it a go and see how it works out for dual sporting.

David
Old 05-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #193
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
REI has the 62S for $279 right now on their web site... Thats a freaking great deal, $119 off the going price.
Garmin just announced the Montana; might have somethin to do with the price drop
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #194
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by djborden View Post
Agreed Jerry, or put the option on the device to set the default method of inport. That should be easy to do.

Maybe if Garmin ping folks with the request it might get implemented. David
On Dual Sport rides, the promoter has the Tracks all set for the start (both On/Off & Color) and he gives instructions on how to change them. Not a big deal, but more instructions to read and more work (and chance for screw up) for the rider.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #195
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Garmin just announced the Montana; might have somethin to do with the price drop
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775
I think that is a mistake by REI. It should be $299 on sale the 20th (according to the flyer) . Someone messed up and put it online early at $279. I just got one yesterday and thats what the employs thought. Either way I'm happy.