ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #196
henkew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
I think that is a mistake by REI. It should be $299 on sale the 20th (according to the flyer) . Someone messed up and put it online early at $279. I just got one yesterday and thats what the employs thought. Either way I'm happy.
Yeah, I ran in during lunch that sale day too. They honored the online price in the store...but couldn't believe how cheap it was. By the time I got home with my new GPS, the price had been jacked back up on the website. Glad I was able to grab one :-) Course, that was before I saw the announcement about the Montana....
henkew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #197
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
62S on ad again for $279.00 at REI
http://www.rei.com/product/805907/ga...52011-_-bt_gps

I got mine, installed the RAM mount and loaded some tracks and did a 4 hour ride on sunday. The long ride along with playing with if for several hours at home and I still show a nearly full battery(alkaline). Screen visibility was exceptional with backlighting off on the ride, including very heavy tree cover.

Overall, Im really happy with the purchase considering the sale price.

David
djborden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #198
vespadaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I think this is going to be my first GPS too, (the Garmin GPSMAP 62S GPS), from REI. I plan to go and grab one tomorrow (Weds).

I'll need this to function as my speedometer on my Husky when I have the tard wheels fitted. I am assuming it will do this, yes?

Also, can anyone suggest a cheap, online source for the cradle? I have a RAM ball mounted on my bars already, because I once borrowed a friend's GPS on a trail ride, but I'll need the cradle that attaches to the RAM ball.
vespadaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #199
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespadaddy View Post
I think this is going to be my first GPS too, (the Garmin GPSMAP 62S GPS), from REI. I plan to go and grab one tomorrow (Weds).

I'll need this to function as my speedometer on my Husky when I have the tard wheels fitted. I am assuming it will do this, yes?

Also, can anyone suggest a cheap, online source for the cradle? I have a RAM ball mounted on my bars already, because I once borrowed a friend's GPS on a trail ride, but I'll need the cradle that attaches to the RAM ball.
Yes, it will function as a speedo, and you can set it up so the speed is a larger display and visible while riding.

Here's an example:

Gps City is a very good place to deal with: http://gpscity.com or call their toll free number for faster service.

Here's a link to the 62 mount: http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-gar...hol-ga41u.html

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 04:54 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #200
Rubber Jonny
n0b

Oddometer: 37
I have my ram mount for my 62st now, i understand why it doesnt get great reviews on that site. Its far from the strongest looking cradle I have seen.
Rubber Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #201
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Yes, it will function as a speedo, and you can set it up so the speed is a larger display and visible while riding.

Here's an example:

Can't you display data items on the Map screen like 60/76?

On my Trip Odometer page, I display: Trip odo, Max Speed, Moving Time, Moving Ave, SPEED, Time of day, Elevation, and odometer. I also arrange Map page at top, Track page second, and Trip Page as last. That way it bootsd on map, one push for either of the other two.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #202
Rubber Jonny
n0b

There is the same display options and more on the 62st than the 60cx.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #203
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Can't you display data items on the Map screen like 60/76?

On my Trip Odometer page, I display: Trip odo, Max Speed, Moving Time, Moving Ave, SPEED, Time of day, Elevation, and odometer. I also arrange Map page at top, Track page second, and Trip Page as last. That way it bootsd on map, one push for either of the other two.
Of course you can display a speed on the map page, just not that large. There are many options. I just showed one.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #204
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Jonny View Post
There is the same display options and more on the 62st than the 60cx.
I hope they didn't delete "Glide Ratio" and "Vertical Speed"?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #205
rescue6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
so with the new updates installed would you buy the 62s over a 60Csx I need to order one this weekend. I am not worried with the power cable availability as it will be on a mountain bike as much as the dirt bike. As long as it will stay on with the vibes offroad. They are only $60 difference in price at REI so is the new one worth it. Please help me decide. I have read and read the threads but just have not ever had a good GPS so dont know what is important to get. I have already bought the 24k topo and City navigator DVDs so not I just need to pick the unit.
rescue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #206
Rubber Jonny
n0b

in the uk the new units can take ordanance survey maps and the 60's cant which is great for off road, depending on where you are in the world the extra maps the new unit can take may make it worth the extra. Apart from that I doubt there is much real world difference.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #207
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Jonny View Post
in the uk the new units can take ordanance survey maps and the 60's cant which is great for off road, depending on where you are in the world the extra maps the new unit can take may make it worth the extra. Apart from that I doubt there is much real world difference.
My 60cs handled TOPO UK w/ no issue which pops up an Ordinance Survey dialog at start. Maybe you are talking about different maps?

Like your username
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #208
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue6 View Post
so with the new updates installed would you buy the 62s over a 60Csx I need to order one this weekend. I am not worried with the power cable availability as it will be on a mountain bike as much as the dirt bike. As long as it will stay on with the vibes offroad. They are only $60 difference in price at REI so is the new one worth it. Please help me decide. I have read and read the threads but just have not ever had a good GPS so dont know what is important to get. I have already bought the 24k topo and City navigator DVDs so not I just need to pick the unit.

So far (knock on wood) I havent had any power off issues on the new 62S. The batteries are very very tight, so Im guessing it would require quite a jolt to unseat them.

I was pretty much willing to spend the almost $200 dif in price before the REI sale. After the sale, its was a no brainer for me to get the new features.

I really like being able to enable/disable maps and the additional # of tracks/points the new units support.

Of course the 60 is tried and true and seems to be the standard in the price point from all Ive read and should serve you well. I was just willing to take a chance on the 62 given its new features.

What is the return policy at REI? What aout trying out the 62S while on sale and if it falls short of your expectations, return it and get the 60 since its not on sale.

David
djborden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #209
henkew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by djborden View Post

What is the return policy at REI? What aout trying out the 62S while on sale and if it falls short of your expectations, return it and get the 60 since its not on sale.

David
REI has the best return policy in the biz. You aren't 100% satisified....take it back. Costco and REI are the best in that area.
henkew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #210
Rubber Jonny
n0b

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
My 60cs handled TOPO UK w/ no issue which pops up an Ordinance Survey dialog at start. Maybe you are talking about different maps?

Like your username
This is what i mean, the 60 series does not take these maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=71454