ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #241
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Yes, the 4 pin power connector is safer in the rain, and just generally much more substantial. But the 62S is really good on batteries so if you have some decent rechargeables, you can make do that way.

Just to give you an idea of the kind of things the 62 has over the 60:

Wireless transfer of tracks/routes/waypoints etc between compatible units (so you don't require a computer to load these things - they can be transferred in the field, so to speak)

Much better track recording abilities on the 62/78

Custom map abilities

You can have multiple map files (the 60 requires multiple maps to be loaded all at once, which can be slow and cumbersome to update.)

Profiles - the 62/78 allow you to save profiles which are settings relevant to the kind of activity you're doing. A motorcycle profile for instance can have topo maps enabled, and particular avoidances while an automotive profile has different maps, and fewer avoidances. A pedestrian mode has different options. You get the idea.

But don't get me wrong: the 60CSx is still a very powerful tool and has a very loyal (fiercely!) following, so you wouldn't go wrong choosing one of those instead.
Thanks for the info. I know nothing about GPS, so I don't know if any of the 62's improvements are worth it for me. I'm really liking the $100 cheaper and more robust power connector on the 60 right now. I'm not in a rush, so I'm going to continue reading up on these units.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #242
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,991
Quote:
Yes, the 4 pin power connector is safer in the rain, and just generally much more substantial. But the 62S is really good on batteries so if you have some decent rechargeables, you can make do that way.

Just to give you an idea of the kind of things the 62 has over the 60:
But don't get me wrong: the 60CSx is still a very powerful tool and has a very loyal (fiercely!) following, so you wouldn't go wrong choosing one of those instead.
Does the 62 have any advantage over the 78 which does have a 12 V power input? To me the 62 is DOA. The 78 was interesting until the Montana came along.

Also disadvantages of 62/78 over 60/76, they default all downloaded tracks to "OFF" and change the color to its choice. Not a big deal for most people but very bad at an event where promoter can set these things for the rider. Most people at my rides require some help just to find the "Track" page.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #243
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Does the 62 have any advantage over the 78 which does have a 12 V power input? To me the 62 is DOA. The 78 was interesting until the Montana came along.

Also disadvantages of 62/78 over 60/76, they default all downloaded tracks to "OFF" and change the color to its choice. Not a big deal for most people but very bad at an event where promoter can set these things for the rider. Most people at my rides require some help just to find the "Track" page.
No, the 62 has no real advantage over the 78 except some people, including me, like the 62's shape better than the 78.

But yeah, now that the Montana's out, my 62S spends its time in a drawer. I'm really impressed by the Montana. Most people will be put off by the price, at just under $500 for the basic one, but I think price is a very small part of the choice in my book.

Not that I have a lot of extra cash, just that if I want something badly enough, I'll sell things to get it. In the case of the Montana, I sold my Oregon 550, a Netbook, and some other stuff like camera gear I no longer cared about. Didn't really take me any time to raise the cash.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #244
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post

I've read a lot of comments about this issue. Again, I'm a complete noob when it comes to GPS. What's the problem with this? The tracks can't be turned back on? And what's the deal with the colors? Thanks!
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #245
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
What's the problem with this? The tracks can't be turned back on? And what's the deal with the colors? Thanks!
I believe that like the 60/76 you have full control of On/Off & Color on 62/78. The difference as stated, is that when you download to 62/78, they turn tracks Off and change color. Don't know why Garmin thinks they know more than the guy who generated the tracks or what the customer wants. I could see where these features could be settable buy user but not by Garmin.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #246
sysie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I just could not get the RAM mount to work properly when going offroad.. I had to use cableties to secure the gps in the cradle else it will vibrate so much it keeps turning off... So I got the Touratech mount... Looks good! looking forward to ride without having to switch the gps back on all the time... And it is lockable so I can leave it on the bike when stopping somewhere ...
Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #247
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysie View Post
I just could not get the RAM mount to work properly when going offroad.. I had to use cableties to secure the gps in the cradle else it will vibrate so much it keeps turning off... So I got the Touratech mount... Looks good! looking forward to ride without having to switch the gps back on all the time... And it is lockable so I can leave it on the bike when stopping somewhere ...
Looks good. And I agree, the RAM mount is badly designed, and not only for the reasons you mentioned. I still use mine, if I need to but it drives me nuts trying to put the gps into it - if the rubber usb port cover isn't completely in place you can't put the gps on or take it off; the usb cable is really hard to line up when you're plugging it in, and the lower tab which you push to remove the gps is really in the way of the buttons if you have thicker gloves.

I'd give it a 4/10. A fail, for sure.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #248
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Been a long time coming, but Garmin released a new Beta version of the software for the 62/78 series. Not much of a change, imho.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=5071

GPSMAP 62/78 software version 3.71 Beta
as of December 22, 2011

Download (4.20 MB)

View installation instructions and system requirements

Notes:

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.
Change History
Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.71:
Improved elevation data stored in track logs
Fixed issue with magnetic north offset when projecting a waypoint
Problems with the software may be reported to 62-78Beta@garmin.com
Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #249
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Tracks questions

I got my hands on a 78 today and did some playing. This is how I think it works, please correct me if I got something wrong.

If you use Mapsource to Download tracks, the 78 creates a new .gpx file titled Temp with the tracks in it.

If you download a second set of tracks the 78 erases the first temp file (and its tracks) and creates a new Temp file with the new tracks.

If you copy a .gpx file from PC to to the gpx folder of the 78, it will put it there with the original name (not temp). You can then copy as many .gpx files as you want and they will all be there.

This method seems very dumb and overly complicated but works.

The 78 will list every track in every .gpx file in the gpx folder on the track manager page.

The 78 organizes the tracks (up to 200) on the track manager page with some secret random algorithum. They are not in alpha-numeric order and can not be organized in any way.

This is beyond dumb and makes the 78 a POS for more than a hand full of tracks.

I also could not find any menu to set response to loss of external power. Is there one hidden in there some where?

Countdown screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 11:07 AM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #250
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
If you copy a .gpx file from PC to to the gpx folder of the 78, it will put it there with the original name (not temp). You can then copy as many .gps files as you want and they will all be there.
copy as many .gpx files

Quote:
The 78 organizes the tracks (up to 200) on the track manager page with some secret random algorithum. They are not in alpha-numeric order and can not be organized in any way.
All of the newer GPS receivers do it this way: sorted by proximity - closest first, etc.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #251
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
copy as many .gpx files

All of the newer GPS receivers do it this way: sorted by proximity - closest first, etc.
Thanks,

Not sure about first comment.

2nd one makes sense, I will verify it. Very bad system for some Dual Sport rides, but could be worse. Probably good for most users. At least the ones you need to get to are near the top although not in any logical order.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #252
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
Not sure about first comment.
The 4th sentence in your post has a typo - you wrote .gps and probably meant .gpx
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #253
GAZCO
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Question ?'s about map overlay

New to the GPS world but I just got a 62 and have been looking around on Garmin's website. Apparently you can use their free CustomMaps software along with google earth and overlay your own maps which can then be put on your garmin. Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this and wouldn't mind answering some noob questions. Thanks
GAZCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #254
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZCO View Post
New to the GPS world but I just got a 62 and have been looking around on Garmin's website. Apparently you can use their free CustomMaps software along with google earth and overlay your own maps which can then be put on your garmin. Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this and wouldn't mind answering some noob questions. Thanks
I don't know anyone who creates their own map overlays. There are so many good cheap or free alternatives out there, it hardly seems worth the trouble to make your own.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #255
GAZCO
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
I don't know anyone who creates their own map overlays. There are so many good cheap or free alternatives out there, it hardly seems worth the trouble to make your own.

I figured out how to do the overlay using a forest service map which is actually pretty cool. Now my 62 says the map is too big even though it's well below the required size. I'm sure some more dinking around and I'll have it.
GAZCO is offline   Reply With Quote