ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #286
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I find navigating on the fly (from the unit) using 100k Topos almost impossible over any distance larger than a few miles.

It is okay if there are only a few roads in your immediate area. And you can pick one and follow it to some better known place.

But it gets hopelessly confusing for me if I zoom out and start panning around and there are a lot of roads.

In City Nav you can pick a point you want to get to and hit Enter and then navigate to it. But sometimes I have to do this in small chunks, because CN will compute some horrible routes over long distances.

But I use 100k Topos a lot for planning trips on the computer.

I have just gotten my hands on the 24k Topos. I was really surprised that many minor roads and trails that show up in 100k Topos do not show up in the 24k version. The opposite is also true, but that was what I expected.
Thanks. I think I'm just going to get the cit nav for now then, probably will get the topo later. At least the city nav will allow me to navigate, right now I just have a glorified speedometer.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #287
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Thanks. I think I'm just going to get the cit nav for now then, probably will get the topo later. At least the city nav will allow me to navigate, right now I just have a glorified speedometer.
I use 76 and base map for street use fine. For Off Highway I use Roads & Rec but CN will be better for both street and off highway. Topo has too many lines to see roads on the small screens but very necessary on PC for planning.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #288
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
The 62/78 series has new software; version 4.40 includes the Garmin Adventure feature and a few other things, but I can't find a list of the features anywhere, right now.

Use Garmin WebUpdater to get the update.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 09:32 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #289
Cattledog1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I was told that the Garmin 60csx is better than the 62 for dirtbiking/dualsporting. I was also told that the 60csx is no longer in production. Is there any truth to this???
Cattledog1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #290
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog1969 View Post
I was told that the Garmin 60csx is better than the 62 for dirtbiking/dualsporting. I was also told that the 60csx is no longer in production. Is there any truth to this???
The only thing better about the 60CSx is the rugged 4 pin power connector. But the 78 has the same advantages as the 62, with the addition of the rugged power connection.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #291
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Only in regards to the power connector. The 62/78 series are light years ahead of the 60/76's.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #292
Zaboo65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The only thing better about the 60CSx is the rugged 4 pin power connector. But the 78 has the same advantages as the 62, with the addition of the rugged power connection.
I've got a 62 and wish I had the 78 because of the damn USB power. I've got it hard wired and most of the time it goes to the USB connection screen. Occasionally I can get it to except external power from the USB port but most of the time I just give up and use the batteries that I know I must have. Oh for that 4 pin power connector
Trans WI 2011 | UPAT BB Fall 2012 | UPAT BB June 2013
Zaboo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #293
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaboo65 View Post
I've got a 62 and wish I had the 78 because of the damn USB power. I've got it hard wired and most of the time it goes to the USB connection screen. Occasionally I can get it to except external power from the USB port but most of the time I just give up and use the batteries that I know I must have. Oh for that 4 pin power connector
Go to 'System' then scroll down and select 'Interface' then select 'Garmin Spanner'. Turn the unit off and connect your USB power cable. During boot up, you will get a prompt:

USB cable detected.
Would you like to go to Mass Storage?

Select 'No' and you should be ready to go.

I don't use 12 volt power either on the bike or in the truck. I can get some purdy good mileage out of a set of PowerEx batteries using a PowerEx Wizard One Charger. The only issue I've have with my 62s is the paint wearing off the buttons.

Looks like Lisa & Thomas Simon are using a 62s on their travels, (photo from Lisa & Thomas Simon's travel thread).

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 03:34 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #294
Zaboo65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Go to 'System' then scroll down and select 'Interface' then select 'Garmin Spanner'. Turn the unit off and connect your USB power cable. During boot up, you will get a prompt:

USB cable detected.
Would you like to go to Mass Storage?

Select 'No' and you should be ready to go.
Thanks so much!!
Trans WI 2011 | UPAT BB Fall 2012 | UPAT BB June 2013
Zaboo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #295
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,082
Last year, I upgraded from a 60CSX to a Garmin Oregon 200 for the sake of evolution, but mainly because 1 of the 4 pin power connecetor broke and I wanted to try something new.

The Oregon was a huge disappointment me. The unit was dumbed down, the navigation menu was terrible, and the worse part was that the screen, though high resolution was too small dim, and low contrast.

I started to look on ebay and around for a used 60csx but then decided to take a plunge on on the 78 unit, since many of the used 60csx are more expensive than a new Garmin 78.

I'm happy I chose it, it gives up a few features like resettable odometer, but overall is a faster unit with more long trip usability than the previous generation. Also retains the 4 pin plug which was a must have for me.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #296
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
I'm happy I chose it, it gives up a few features like resettable odometer, but overall is a faster unit with more long trip usability than the previous generation. Also retains the 4 pin plug which was a must have for me.
It sounds like you're not even using the best features like multiple map capabilities, profiles and much better track handling... this is what makes the 62/78 so much better than the 60/76/eTrex line.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #297
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
decided to take a plunge on on the 78 unit. I'm happy I chose it, it gives up a few features like resettable odometer.
What do you mean by resettable Odo? Do you mean a Trip odo that you can reset to Zero?

78 doesn't have that data item?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #298
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was told that the Garmin 60csx is better than the 62 for dirtbiking/dualsporting.

I was also told that the 60csx is no longer in production.
Only thing better with 60 over 62 is rouind 12V external power input. However 78 does have it so 78 is better than 60/76.

As far ad dirtbiking.dualsporting, how many saved tracks do you need? 76 holds 20 x 500, 78 holds 200 x 2,000.

78Cx can still be found at WestMarine.com for $150 when on sale which is often.

I promote Dual Sport events and 80% of entrants use 60/76. I have only seen a very few 78 or Montana.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #299
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
76 or 78?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Only thing better with 60 over 62 is rouind 12V external power input. However 78 does have it so 78 is better than 60/76.

As far ad dirtbiking.dualsporting, how many saved tracks do you need? 76 holds 20 x 500, 78 holds 200 x 2,000.

78Cx can still be found at WestMarine.com for $150 when on sale which is often.

I promote Dual Sport events and 80% of entrants use 60/76. I have only seen a very few 78 or Montana.

You really meant 76Cx right? I'd be pretty seriously looking at a 78 if that was the price but I'll stick with my 60CSx (as long as it keeps running) compared with the 76's.

Not trying to rag on you, I expect a plain ol' typo, it 78's are already that cheap I will 'need one'.

Not having a resetable odo would be a definite loss for me. I haven't figured out which way is best, but I use either the bike or GPS odo to keep track of miles since refueling and the other to track miles since last route sheet reset. I really think that I need two resttable odo's and my bikes only have one each without the GPS.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225

Fire Escape screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 10:43 PM
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #300
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
You really meant 76Cx right?

Not having a resetable odo would be a definite loss for me. I haven't figured out which way is best, but I use either the bike or GPS odo to keep track of miles since refueling and the other to track miles since last route sheet reset. I really think that I need two resttable odo's and my bikes only have one each without the GPS. Bruce
Yes 76Cx, however seems like the masses are going to Montana over 78.

I have KTM with total mileage and two Trips (one setable to 10ths, one zeroable), plus ICO with 100ths setable trip plus 76Cx trip. I use ICO for Roll Chart work, one of the KTM trips for mileage on gas tank, and 76Cx for total mileage of multi day trip.