ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #406
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Its a no-brainer.

Go to 'Waypoint Mgr.', select your waypoint and press 'Enter'. When it's data information screen appears, press the 'Menu' button. 'Delete' is at the top of the list.
Very interesting, the "Waypoint Manager" page looks exactly like the "Find" "Waypoints" page but works different.

To delete a waypoint on 78:

Menu
Menu
Scroll to "Waypoint Manager"
Enter
Scroll to "Waypoint"
Enter (Opens waypoint data page but there is no delete option)
Menu (Why would anyone remember to do this?)
Scroll to "Delete" (it is at top, also a lot of other nice options)
Enter Scroll to "Yes"
Enter


To delete a Waypoint on 60/76:
Find
Scroll to "Waypoints"
Enter
Scroll to "Delete"
Enter
Scroll to "Yes"
Enter
This is no brainer, four less steps and all are very obvious choices.
__________________
Jerry Counts

Countdown screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 02:52 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #407
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
I'm getting the impression that he expects the 62/78 should work like the older models. Stuck in his ways and doesn't want to learn new things.
Yes very true. I think the 78 should be a better 60/76 with more features and more capacity. There is no rational reason why ANY 60/78 feature was dropped. It should not have a whole new human interface. Unless there was some over riding reason to change a human interface because a new feature was just not compatible it is stupid to arbitrarily change them.

I am very happy to learn how to use new features but pissing away my time to learn how to use features I have been using for 10 years does not make me happy.

The 60/76 human interface is known by hundreds of my customers. New customers are just starting to appear with new generation units. In the past new GPS users could ask anyone in the parking lot how to do something and get help. With the new generation units, they might as well ask their question in Chinese, they will get the same response. What do they do? They come to me and I don't get a kickback from Garmin for doing their job.

Comments like "you only do the Welcome message once, what's the problem?" is obviously not made by someone who deals with the public. To the typical dirt rider that thinks his GPS is a piece of space hardware, using a PC to write a welcome message in some application he has never herd of, is so far beyond stupid, it defies explaniation.

I do design space hardware and NASA would fire any contractor in a second who had two devices that do the same thing and intended to be operated by an astronaut on a space walk that had such different human interfaces. These two interfaces should be used as prime examples of a piss poor design in system engineering text books.

A classic example: I was in a design review for the Airborn Laser, an anti missle weapon in a 747. Some airforce general took one look at the proposed control stick and said "is their any reason why you can't use a Game Controller stick? every one of our airmen have hundereds of hours practice with that design. Common sense is the best disign driver.
__________________
Jerry Counts

Countdown screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 03:06 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #408
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Yes very true. I think the 78 should be a better 60/76 with more features and more capacity.
It is. And if you use the Classic profile, it even looks like a 60/76 but without all the limitations.

Yes, it is a different gps and Garmin did change some things, but if users are counting on you to figure out their gps and don't want to do any of it themselves, then they'll forever be in the dark. Or lost in the woods.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #409
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Comments like "you only do the Welcome message once, what's the problem?" is obviously not made by someone who deals with the public. To the typical dirt rider that thinks his GPS is a piece of space hardware, using a PC to write a welcome message in some application he has never herd of, is so far beyond stupid, it defies explaniation.
I actually spent many years helping users with software and online teaching environments, and I always made a point of knowing what I was teaching, and teaching the users how to use it themselves. I was not doing things for them and making constant remarks about how bad this new design is. Blah blah. Who cares? It is what it is.

People don't want to know what you or I think of something - they want to know how to use it.

Give us a break - they don't make the 60 and 76 anymore. And I'm glad they don't.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 05:00 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #410
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I actually spent many years helping users with software and online teaching environments, and I always made a point of knowing what I was teaching, and teaching the users how to use it themselves.

And I'm glad they don't.
You are comparing oranges and apples. You were teaching so obviously students were your customers, they wanted knowledge about a subject. My customers have no desire for knowledge, they just want to ride their motorcycle. Many of them show up with new GPS still in the box and those guys probably do not own a PC or have e-mail. If they did any setup at all it was to make map "Track Up" and that is it.

The ONLY reason I bought a 78 is so I could learn how to use it and write user instructions for my Dual Sport riders. I do appreciate you and others helping clearify many of the obscure features (my point). For now most 78s are in hands new users but in a year or so when more 60/76 start failing, they will be in the hands of former 60/76 users and they will be more frustrated than I am. This is why I compare every 78 function to old 60/76 function so they can transition a little easier. I don't know of a single rider who upgraded to 78 because they thought it is better in any way.

Please feel free to read the instructions on my web site and make any comment. Sorry about formating that is what I got for free.

On your second statement, why are you glad that a product was discontinued that so many people find very satisfactory?
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #411
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
You are comparing oranges and apples. You were teaching so obviously students were your customers, they wanted knowledge about a subject. My customers have no desire for knowledge, they just want to ride their motorcycle. Many of them show up with new GPS still in the box and those guys probably do not own a PC or have e-mail. If they did any setup at all it was to make map "Track Up" and that is it.

The ONLY reason I bought a 78 is so I could learn how to use it and write user instructions for my Dual Sport riders. I do appreciate you and others helping clearify many of the obscure features (my point). For now most 78s are in hands new users but in a year or so when more 60/76 start failing, they will be in the hands of former 60/76 users and they will be more frustrated than I am. This is why I compare every 78 function to old 60/76 function so they can transition a little easier. I don't know of a single rider who upgraded to 78 because they thought it is better in any way.

Please feel free to read the instructions on my web site and make any comment. Sorry about formating that is what I got for free.

On your second statement, why are you glad that a product was discontinued that so many people find very satisfactory?
I was teaching the teachers.

I can't believe your attitude with regard to riders who attend your events. Do you really think they're that dumb? But if they're showing up without having even opened the box on their gps, then perhaps they are.

So you encourage their lack of preparedness by trying to ensure their gps is trailing edge technology?

Re: who upgraded from a 60/76 to a modern gps like the Montana, Oregon, 62/78 - I did and so did my wife. When the Oregon was released, we each bought a 550, but I kept my 60CSx and she kept her 76CSx. But after a couple of months of using the Oregon, we couldn't go back to the legacy units so we sold them. I still had a Legend HCx for a year just to lend to visitors but nobody wanted it, so it was sold too.

And I'm glad Garmin stopped making the 60 and 76 because the only reason people would prefer them is because they are familiar, having been the standard for quite a while. No other reason I can think of. And I've had many 60/76 units over the years. At least 7 that I can remember.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #412
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,079
Now I'm trying to figure out which to keep, and which to sell.



I really do prefer the 62's shape, but the 78's 4 pin plug may be handy someday. Both are S (sensor) models, and the 78S is actually $15 more than the 62S on the GPSCity site.



Hey Jerry, why do you say that the basemap in these models is not auto-routing? See the description below from Javawa.

__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 07:12 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #413
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Hey Jerry, why do you say that the basemap in these models is not auto-routing? See the description below from Javawa.
Based on my .gpx download fiasco, I should try it again. I had R & R enabled which is not a problem with my 76 but perhaps it is on 78. The name of basemap is different so I assumed (never assume).

Edit
Map does not have the word "Autoroute", just "Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR"

Did I get screwed with new or old version?
__________________
Jerry Counts

Countdown screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 07:29 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #414
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I can't believe your attitude with regard to riders who attend your events. Do you really think they're that dumb? But if they're showing up without having even opened the box on their gps, then perhaps they are.

So you encourage their lack of preparedness by trying to ensure their gps is trailing edge technology?
I never said they were dumb, they just have no interest in playing with electronic toys, they are interested in ridiing. Below are a couple of threads just before a GPS only ride on So Cal.

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/...ad.php?t=59143

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/...ad.php?t=59003

By the way you have not pointed out one single advantage of the new generation units for Dual Sport Events.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #415
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
By the way you have not pointed out one single advantage of the new generation units for Dual Sport Events.
No, I gave that up long ago. It's clear that nobody's going to change your mind, so why even try?

Besides, this is not the 'Is the 60/76 better than the 62/78?' thread. Maybe it's time we remembered that.

Start your own thread if that's your point.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #416
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer
 
250senuf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kootenai, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Map does not have the word "Autoroute", just "Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR"

Did I get screwed with new or old version?
When the 78 is booting up watch the bottom of the screen very closely, the description/name of the basemap will show briefly. Mine shows 5.01, autorouting.
__________________
Not all who wonder are confused
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #417
HogWild
Scott Whitney
 
HogWild's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal USA
Oddometer: 2,550
To a large extent I think you guys are talking past each other. Your usage is different, so your view of the product is different. Jerry is right on track if you put yourself in his shoes. I bought a 78 for much the same reason as Jerry. I need to know how they work so I can tailor my rides and GPS data accordingly. Now that's I've used the 78 for a few rides, I have yet to find a SINGLE feature that I need or my ride/race participants need that is better on the 78 compared to the 76. And there are many features that are now more complicated to use on the 78. But this is all from my very specific and uncommon usage point of view. My wife would throw BOTH in the trash if she ever had to use them, because neither one would "talk" to her.
__________________
.
New desert racing frontiers
It will be Diabolical!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #418
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
When the 78 is booting up watch the bottom of the screen very closely, the description/name of the basemap will show briefly. Mine shows 5.01, autorouting.
Took me 10 tries to read it, must be there for at least 10 mSec. It does say autorouting but when I go to map setup and maps it does not say autorouting?
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #419
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I bought a 78 for much the same reason as Jerry. I need to know how they work so I can tailor my rides and GPS data accordingly. Now that's I've used the 78 for a few rides, I have yet to find a SINGLE feature that I need or my ride/race participants need that is better on the 78 compared to the 76. And there are many features that are now more complicated to use on the 78.
Scott, I finally got my 78 setup instructions posted on my web site, take a look and see if you have any comments.

The stuff I am playing with now like routing, DS event riders never use. I love my 76 for routing up and down 395. It tells me ETA for each town waypoint. This is very critical for planning meals which my Nuvi won't do. Still can't seem to get the 78 to do anything helpful.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #420
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
My wife would throw BOTH in the trash if she ever had to use them, because neither one would "talk" to her.
Sounds familiar

I was thinking of buying a 78 or Montana for the same reasons as you and Jerry.......it's really too bad Garmin shit canned the 60/76 series.....
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014