ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #421
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
End of line

Well, if you are paying attention to what's going on with 'sales', I kinda think the 62/78 are approaching the end of the road.

Garmin is updating many of their units with a new receiver chip that gets both the US and the Russian satellites.... so it could well be that they are working on an update to the 62/78 units with the new receiver chip.

Which is why they are quietly putting the 62/78's on sale....

After all, they have been around 3 years now!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #422
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
Well, if you are paying attention to what's going on with 'sales', I kinda think the 62/78 are approaching the end of the road.

Garmin is updating many of their units with a new receiver chip that gets both the US and the Russian satellites.... so it could well be that they are working on an update to the 62/78 units with the new receiver chip.

Which is why they are quietly putting the 62/78's on sale....

After all, they have been around 3 years now!
Where are the sales? All I've seen has been the bottom of the line 78, which can't have been a great seller until it reached $200. But the S and SC models seem to still be $325 and up.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #423
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Where are the sales? All I've seen has been the bottom of the line 78, which can't have been a great seller until it reached $200. But the S and SC models seem to still be $325 and up.
Agree, $200 is still the "sale" price for 78. The 76 was down to $200 regular price and only went on "sale" for 180, 160, & 150 after 78 came out.

At $200 the 78 is the new standard Dual Sport unit. I think at least a half dozen were pruchased for the Big Bear ride alone.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #424
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,328
Welp ... Upgraded to the 78 after my 60 ate shit.

I'm really disappointed.

I'll get a bigger comparison/review done later, but right now I'm getting a 76Cx on order. The 78 is that. bad.

Things that should be simple and straightforward are now complex and overcomplicated. Maps don't always load, topo is missing half the map tiles, the "Find" feature is broken, no option to "stay on" after external power is removed...

The speed of map panning is great, being able to load raster images on the map is a really cool feature... but with the basics being broken, the additional features aren't worth the hassle.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #425
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Welp ... Upgraded to the 78 after my 60 ate shit.

I'm really disappointed.

I'll get a bigger comparison/review done later, but right now I'm getting a 76Cx on order. The 78 is that. bad.

Things that should be simple and straightforward are now complex and overcomplicated. Maps don't always load, topo is missing half the map tiles, the "Find" feature is broken, no option to "stay on" after external power is removed...

The speed of map panning is great, being able to load raster images on the map is a really cool feature... but with the basics being broken, the additional features aren't worth the hassle.
D'you think maybe it might be that you don't know how to use it yet?

I've got a 78s and a 62S and they both work flawlessly.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #426
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Quote:
D'you think maybe it might be that you don't know how to use it yet?

I've got a 78s and a 62S and they both work flawlessly.
Yeah, I know ther'es a learning curve to them. But it's not like this is my first foray into the world of GPS.

The maps should not be this difficult to get working right. Sometimes it sees them, sometimes it doesn't. They're all in the same place on the card, so it's not like it's a placement or file name issue. It just ... misses them.

The "Find" thing is the same way. With CityNav 2013.40 loaded, it displays the map. I know the file is loaded and the receiver's reading it. It's in the "map setup" list. When I press "Find" and scroll to "Food & Drink", for example... that category is ONLY in the CityNav mapset. So it's at least seeing that much... Selecting "All Items", it should populate a list, right? It sits at the spinning-hourglass for 15+ minutes.
Something I'm doing wrong? Kinda doubt it.

I've tried rebuilding/reloading the map images from the .gmapi files. Still broken.

Unit does have the latest firmware on it.

I really want this unit to work. I love the speed, love the features (raster image overlay yes pleez!) but the basic stuff doesn't even work right and it seems to be missing a few key features the 60/76 series had.

Documentation for the device is a sad joke. The "owners manual" barely covers basic operation of the unit. For something this complex and capable I was expecting something at least the size of the 60 manual, which is about 3x the size of the 78 and covers the use and operation MUCH more thoroughly.

I'm just really disappointed in it so far, and the more I poke around with it expecting something to work ... the more disappointed I am.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #427
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Yeah, I know ther'es a learning curve to them. But it's not like this is my first foray into the world of GPS.
What are you using to send the maps over? Don't make the mistake of using mapsets you created for the 60, whatever you do. Create new img files by using the latest version of MapInstall.

I'm serious - the 62/78 series is awesome but it takes some relearning of stuff you did on the 60/76 line.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #428
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Things that should be simple and straightforward are now complex and overcomplicated. , the additional features aren't worth the hassle.
Totally agree. Several old 60/76 features are much worse and these are the only new features that I find good:
1) Saved Track Memory size; 78 has almost unlimited number of 2,000 point capacity.
2) Time setting; 78 has Auto Time Zone to Current Location setting. This is new feature.
3) Active Log; 78 lets you record but not show Active Log. This is new good feature for Dual Sport event riders.

They could all have just been added the the 60/76 and I would a happy camper and I would have advised riders to move up to better. As it is the only reason to buy a 78 is because your old 60/76 crapped out.

I do have 78 setup instructions on DualSportWest.com that turns this new POC into almost a new 76.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #429
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Quote:
What are you using to send the maps over? Don't make the mistake of using mapsets you created for the 60, whatever you do. Create new img files by using the latest version of MapInstall.

I'm serious - the 62/78 series is awesome but it takes some relearning of stuff you did on the 60/76 line.
I did it both ways. Like I said, reinstalled the gmapi's from disc and rebuilt the mapset (there goes 5 hours...) and saw little change in performance from just copying the existing images over.

Tried a system reset afterwards too, several times, and its still displaying the same symptoms.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #430
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
I did it both ways. Like I said, reinstalled the gmapi's from disc and rebuilt the mapset (there goes 5 hours...) and saw little change in performance from just copying the existing images over.

Tried a system reset afterwards too, several times, and its still displaying the same symptoms.
I tried a series of tests with my 78S and with CNNA on sd, it never took more than 5 seconds to do any of the searches I was asking for. So there's obviously something wrong with your setup, but I doubt it's the gps itself unless yours is faulty. Why don't you try it again with nothing but CNNA on it, just for the sake of argument?

The 62/78 series is really good value for the money and far better in most ways than the 60 but hey, it doesn't bother me if you prefer the 60/76.

One thing the 62/78 series is not, is the same as the 60/76. They can look and feel like the 60/76 if you use the "Classic" profile, though.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #431
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Quote:
I tried a series of tests with my 78S and with CNNA on sd, it never took more than 5 seconds to do any of the searches I was asking for. So there's obviously something wrong with your setup, but I doubt it's the gps itself unless yours is faulty. Why don't you try it again with nothing but CNNA on it, just for the sake of argument?

The 62/78 series is really good value for the money and far better in most ways than the 60 but hey, it doesn't bother me if you prefer the 60/76.

One thing the 62/78 series is not, is the same as the 60/76. They can look and feel like the 60/76 if you use the "Classic" profile, though.
Did it with just CNNA loaded too. Enabled/disabled basemap, doesn't matter.

Took it out to top off my fuel jugs tonight... I was down to siphoning fuel out of my generator to get my bike out of reserve last night.

Find-address is a better interface than the 60/76. I like how it walks you through the state, number, street. Navigation was good enough, though I miss the nice "Turn Preview" of the 60/76.

Find-Food&Drink ... again, failed. Hit it and let it sit for a while... about 10 minutes later it finally popped up, and all the items in the list were from 3 miles ago. Thanks, that's real helpful.

Then... I found this really odd, and along with ^^ makes me think I did get a shit unit... Pulled the power from my truck (USB cig lighter adapter) and the unit just shut off. No warning, no external-power-lost popup, just ... *poof*. It'd do the same thing if I pulled the USB connector out of the cig lighter adapter, so I know it's not something the adapter's doing. If I pulled the plug out of the receiver it'd start its 30sec countdown timer.

Turning that obnoxious "ribbon" off and changing the list to grid-of-12 or whatever instead of the list-of-7 was one of the first things I did.

The amount of button presses and menus to delete a fucking waypoint, however...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #432
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

edit: allright, "HTML code is Off ". Nice.
Clicky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaFlAD1nXBw

Piece. Of. Shit.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #433
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
edit: allright, "HTML code is Off ". Nice.
Clicky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaFlAD1nXBw

Piece. Of. Shit.
Have you tried Javawa Device Manager to see if it finds any faults with the maps on the unit?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #434
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Quote:
Have you tried Javawa Device Manager to see if it finds any faults with the maps on the unit?
Haven't even heard of that, actually...

I'll give it a shot tonight.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #435
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Then... I found this really odd, and along with ^^ makes me think I did get a shit unit... Pulled the power from my truck (USB cig lighter adapter) and the unit just shut off. No warning, no external-power-lost popup, just ... *poof*. It'd do the same thing if I pulled the USB connector out of the cig lighter adapter,

Turning that obnoxious "ribbon" off and changing the list to grid-of-12 or whatever instead of the list-of-7 was one of the first things I did.

You are reading my mind!

That power off crap can cost me a lot of money. I use GPS to record active logs for comercial tours. If I get to the end of some long single track and it has turned off, I have no choice to go back. It may not be a section I want to ride twice again when out alone. No IPS (power source) and no Active Log backup to data card make it much less reliable than 76.

That ribbon is about the stupidist thing ever designed.