ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #31
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,103
except those are CR2's.... Garmin uses AA's in the 62's. And 78's. And 76's. And 60's.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #32
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule
except those are CR2's.... Garmin uses AA's in the 62's. And 78's. And 76's. And 60's.
couldn't find that photo
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #33
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,059
Review of 62/78 Models

This is useful if you're trying to get unbiased info on the models: http://gpsinformation.info/penrod/62S/62-78.html
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #34
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,915
You could just get one package of these.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:48 AM   #35
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Updated Software for 62/78

GPSMAP 62/78

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4995

Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:

* Fixed issue while using spell search in route planner.
* Fixed issue where tracks could not be disabled from the map.
* Fixed issues with odometer distance.
* Fixed shutdown while panning the map for extended periods of time.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #36
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Went back in time

Went and bought the good old 60csx again - got one for $150 from Craig List - good guy that Craig

But I did have a go on the 62 - yeap its a lot faster and the shaded Topo maps looks soooo nice - but for what I want - a distance to next point and an arrow to show me where that point is - ( and can be powered from the bike for days on end) I think the 62 is too expansive for now.
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #37
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

New Software for the 62/78 Series (and Oregon)

New software out for the 62/78 - version 2.70 - use web updater to get it.
Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:
  • Added support for Chirp™.
  • Fixed problem with certain custom maps.
  • Fixed problem with certain JPEG images.
  • Fixed issue with Sight 'N Go and user north reference.
This version introduces something called the Garmin "Chirp" a device which is used for Geocaching, mainly, but I bet people will find new uses for it.

Here's a description of "Chirp":

"Starting today, geocachers have a new trick up their sleeves - and in their caches - as we're introducing chirp, a unique wireless beacon designed specifically for the outdoor adventures of geocaching. Affordable, durable and waterproof, chirp can communicate with, and be programmed by, any compatible wireless-enabled Garmin handheld for a more interactive and enjoyable geocaching experience. Cache creators and seekers alike will enjoy the benefits as chirp stores hints, transmits multicache coordinates, counts visitors and confirms the cache is nearby."

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/20...nectivity.html

The new software for the Oregon and 62/78 series allows you to "program" and interact with the "Chirp" devices. The list price for the Chirp unit is around $22 US.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #38
justrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
62 Thread

I hate to be a " saftey nazi " but why would you mount your spot on the bike instead of being on you? . I only say this from myself being thrown from my sled last winter, spot was in windshield bag. Had I suffered heavy injuries wolf bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
Didn't find one, so I thought it was time to start one.

The GPSMap 62 and 78 series are the replacements for the venerable 60 and 76 models which have served us well for many years (and continue to serve well for many people).

I sold my 60 to buy an Oregon when I saw the higher resolution acreen on the more modern unit. Unfortunately it died while on a trip so I ended up getting the 62, and I like it a lot.

It has a more legible screen than the Oregon series, under most conditions, and especially when riding on the bike.

For those who want the 60/76 menu style, the 62/78 has a profile called "Classic" which does the trick.

Mounting the 62 on a bike:

RAM does not have a mount yet for the 62 but the 60 mount works reasonably well. Garmin has gone away from the button on the back which RAM used as part of their mount, so a complete redesign is probably necessary.

But when I bought my 62 I needed something to hold it so we tried the 60 mount and the bottom of the 62 fits snugly into the holder, and a heavy duty elastic band holds the top in very well. In about 1500 kilometers of motorcycle riding so far, it has not come off once. I do have it tethered to my handlebars, though, just in case.

[/quote]
justrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #39
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrider
I hate to be a " saftey nazi " but why would you mount your spot on the bike instead of being on you? . I only say this from myself being thrown from my sled last winter, spot was in windshield bag. Had I suffered heavy injuries wolf bait
That topic has been debated ad infinitum on the Great Big Spot Thread.

This thread's about the 62 and 78.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #40
TVic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I just wanted to throw in my ongoing experience with my two week old 62st. I started a trip last Tuesday with it mounted on my handlebars (using a lowrance mount and zip ties). Went through one rainstorm, a couple hours long though it didn't get very wet due to the windshield/wind. The next day I turned it on and it just hung up in the GARMIN loading profiles screen for about two hours. I finally noticed it had started working again and seemed to do ok the rest of the day. It fired up ok this morning, but I'm a little concerned that either the vibration or the water is doing some damage in there for that to happen on a new unit a week into a trip. I'm glad I bought the service plan.

I'll update when I make it home tonight and let you know if it made it today.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #41
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVic
It fired up ok this morning, but I'm a little concerned that either the vibration or the water is doing some damage in there for that to happen on a new unit a week into a trip. I'm glad I bought the service plan.

I'll update when I make it home tonight and let you know if it made it today.
You're not alone in having this kind of issue - there are many reports of slow loading, locking up in use and other issues but Garmin has been releasing updates on a regular basis, so I'm sure they'll fix it eventually.

Almost once per ride, mine just locks up - most often I'm not touching the unit - just have it on the map screen and I see the roads have not changed in a while.

Sometimes I can fix it by turning the unit off by the switch and other times I need to pull a battery out to get it to restart.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #42
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,103
My 60 used to do that... got progressively worse. Yanked the card out and wiped the unit a few months ago, reboot and reload settings, stuff the card back in. Hasn't done it to me since.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #43
TVic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I made it home today after 9 days on the road with constant use of the 62st. Apart from the lockup I mentioned, after reading your responses I remembered it froze up on me on day two while in City Navigator map mode. A restart fixed it and I didn't think too much of it until now.

Kinda disappointing to have the 2 hour lockup though, and conceivably could be dangerous since I planned on using the unit doing some crosscountry backpacking. I'll try the reboot and see if that works though.

Oh, BTW, when it froze for a couple hours I tried removing batteries...nothing worked.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #44
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Raster maps

Please excuse my ignorance here, but here goes...

Is the 62 capable of displaying raster maps as well as the usual Garmin vector data. If it can, Im thinking of exporting my Oziexplorer maps (ecw's) to a format that I could load up. Can this be done? if so any tips?
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #45
John92
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Ok, This seems like the place to throw this out there. I've been doing all kinds of reading on different units and was definitely leaning towards Garmin. I want a newer model Garmin that I can save/create tracks & be able to use the Bird's Eye Satellite Imagery plugin (That's why I don't just pick up a good deal on a 60 series). I don't need it to come with TOPO right away and the compass/altimeter is not 100% needed either. I've eliminated the Oregon/Colorado/Dakota just because they don't seem as trail friendly (although the Oregon does look real nice). It's been narrowed down to two of the units this thread is about, a 62s or a 78. Here are the pros & cons(to me) that I've figured out through my readings of various threads/articles. Does anyone with actual field time for either unit agree/disagree?

62s = Better antenna, works better vertically (how it would be mounted on bike)
Cons= RAM mount not yet available, Only USB power plug,

78 = RAM mount available, 4-pin power plug, No compass but still has card slot unlike the plain "62" (no S), I know the 78's float but it's not going to if hooked to my 275 lb bike,
Cons= Patch antenna, I've read it works better horizontally because of this, is this true? Would it become a factor mounted on a bike?

Is there anything I'm forgetting/not considering? I ride in primarily flat / wooded areas and just want to get what I want the first time around. Thanks.
John92 is offline   Reply With Quote