ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #436
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
A good set of NiMH will easily go a full long day. I'm real happy with my Powerex 2700 mAH ones. No need ot worry about losing data.

All they really would had to do to the 76 to make it a 78 is give it the better map management and the better track capacity. Oh well.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #437
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
A good set of NiMH will easily go a full long day. I'm real happy with my Powerex 2700 mAH ones. No need ot worry about losing data.

All they really would had to do to the 76 to make it a 78 is give it the better map management and the better track capacity. Oh well.
Cold weather's hell on the batteries though. Augmenting the internal batteries with sled power when its running greatly extends the life of the batteries. But being that the sled is a batteryless EFI system, there's -no- power available when the sled's not running.

Which is a big reason why this no-stay-on-option thing is kind of a big deal with the 78.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #438
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
OK. My use is MC only.

I'm not sure where Lithium rechargeables fit in. The single use lithium are reputed to have very good cold capability.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #439
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Have you tried Javawa Device Manager to see if it finds any faults with the maps on the unit?
Doesn't look like ther'es any issues with it. Behaves nicely on the computer.

So let's give it a try... shut off everything but western-US topo...

Real fuckin awesome. Come on, Garmin.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #440
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Adios, motherfucker.
I've had enough of this shit already.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #441
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Doesn't look like ther'es any issues with it. Behaves nicely on the computer.

Have you never heard of map segment limitations? 6811 is way beyond the limit.

But suit yourself. Go back to what you know. It makes no difference to me. I was only trying to help but it's looking fairly futile.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #442
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,140
Quote:

But suit yourself. Go back to what you know. It makes no difference to me. I was only trying to help but it's looking fairly futile.
When I was little I smashed my thumb with a hammer and called it a "stupid hammer" my dad said "the hammer is not stupid it didn't hit you hit yourself, so might want to think about who or what the stupid one is."
Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #443
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
...so might want to think about who or what the stupid one is."
Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #444
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Quote:

First, the 6811 tiles is a cumulative total of all 5 maps/4 files on the disk. lrn2software.

Tile limit is greatly expanded on the 78. It's not 2024 like the 60/76 series.
But... it doesn't matter. I made one topo mapset with just Colorado... WELL under any tile limit. Also built in minutes instead of hours. Pumped that into the card, loaded it into the receiver, and it did the same. fucking. thing.
It simply does not work.

Are you going to tell me the find times are due to something I'm doing as well? And the power situation is user error?

I've been fucking with this thing constantly since Saturday afternoon. Once I got the basic operation down I ried many permutations loading these mapsets trying to get them to work. And every route i've taken has been met with failure. Dug out original discs, downloaded half a dozen new applications, spent hours building and copying maps, internal or external memory, file names from "US Topo West.img" to "GMAPSUPP.IMG". And I still cannot get it to work.

It's not a *bad* receiver, overall. It's got some really kickass features on it, but the fact that the basic stuff is so broken really kills it.

Maybe I got a shit unit.
Maybe I don't know how to use it (though I highly doubt this).
Maybe the maps i'm using are fucked.
Hell, maybe my computer's even fucked.

But i'm willing to bet money that when the 76 comes in, I'll copy the same maps over to it and it'll work just fine without dicking with it for days.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #445
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
I have a Garmin 78 vs 78s question... Other that the built in digital compass and altimeter on the 78s, and the ability to wirelessly trade tracks (or something like that), are there any other actual usable features that are missing from the baseline Garmin 78 unit. I am coming from a 60CX, so I currently do not have those features above features anyhow.

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #446
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

The other big one is faster USB interface.

78 is USB 1.1. 78s is USB 2.0.

With regards to the data card, you can pull it out and use a card reader to greatly speed up copying. However, with the internal memory you're stuck with USB 1.1.
There's about 1.8GB you can use on the internal memory for maps n' stuff (birdseye imagery, GPX files). Copying a gig of maps over USB 1.1 will take a long time.

I'm not a big fan of the sensor package anyways, the compass moves the map all over the place when you're stopped if you have "track up" selected and the altimeter is wildly inaccurate unless you cal it weekly.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #447
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
I have a Garmin 78 vs 78s question... Other that the built in digital compass and altimeter on the 78s, and the ability to wirelessly trade tracks (or something like that), are there any other actual usable features that are missing from the baseline Garmin 78 unit. I am coming from a 60CX, so I currently do not have those features above features anyhow.
I happen to think the 3 axis electronic compass, Wireless transfer and high speed usb port make a big difference and are worth getting.

Just the other day I was on a trail with a guy who's got a 62S and it was fantastic to be able to send him the track I was following from my Montana to his 62S, so I could let him lead for a while.

GPSCentral in Canada has the 78S at $299 until July 22. You could either buy one from them or get GPSCity to price match. If you really are in the market for a gps, you might also want to check GPSCity's thread in the Vendor's section. They might be able to offer you a deal through there.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #448
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Sold my 62S today to a guy coming over from the Magellan side. Found the original box and realized I paid $489 for the unit a few years ago. Only got $200 for it, but the Pawn Shop 78S I picked up recently was much less than that so things kinda evened out.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #449
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,365
Question for the experts on this unit like Emmbeedee or Albie,
I have always used the 276c and the 478 units.

Will the 78 unit handle routes the same way ? Specifically, will the 78 take a route built on Mapsource without a recalc ? Can it handle routes that include unmapped sections in them like my 478 does ?
Im looking at one for my son who now rides a CRF250

Thanks fellas,
Frank

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #450
grahamfitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Question

I've given up using routes because they usually end up having more waypoints in than the device can handle. I just convert them to tracks in basecamp and download them. In basecamp I also delete the original route and most of the waypoints that were used to create it so the map isn't so cluttered. I keep the first, last and some strategic exit/reentry points for finding the track and jogging my memory.

This also makes it easier to handle when basecamp says there isn't a way through because I can create a rough track in basecamp to fill the hole and join all the tracks together to create one.

I do have some minor track related problems though...

Sometimes I ride the track backwards (the track, that is) and I can get myself to the end waypoint easily enough but when I "find" a track the GPS shows a list of tracks by closest start point. More often than not the start point of this track is further away than the start point of other tracks so it doesn't show up first in the list.

The reason this is a problem is I can't usually remember what the name of the track is and it takes a while to go through them and either "find" it or "show on the map" so I can see if it ends where I am by trial and error.

Is there any way of sorting in by closest end point, closest closest point?

Or potentially just showing all tracks on the map so I can just follow a different color line even if I can't remember its name?

Or an easier way entirely?