ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #541
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Looking at getting the 62s. I can upload GPX files to it right?
Old 12-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #542
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPrairie_Rider View Post
Looking at getting the 62s. I can upload GPX files to it right?

Of course.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #543
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Well I bought the 62s. Now just to get it mounted on the Tiger and go use it!

Almost half off at Academy, couldn't pass it up. Merry Xmas to me.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #544
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You might be into antiques, but Garmin's not going to be hanging onto dated technology just to keep you happy.

Time marches on, and even the 62/78 may be obsolete now. They are probably 5 years old, after all.
Commercial GPS receivers have not used any new "technology" since they first appeared on the market years ago. Just a simple controller doing some tricky math calculations, no rocket science here. Custom ASICs (Application Specific IC) have increased performance, reduced manufacturing cost, and retail price but nothing close to High Tech advancement.

The only thing close to new Tech was the introduction of Touch Screens, other than that, they just kept adding more memory and more very simple firmware features.

There have been a few hardware issues (reliability not technology) with a few units but for the main part all the issues are firmware, just simple code not technology.

If Garmin or any other manufacture built a really great piece of GPS hardware with an open firmware architecture like a cell phone, all user complaints would be resolved by our great capitalist free market.

Short of that, the best we consumers can hope for are for Garmin (owner of the market) to program in as many built in customer interface options as possible so the unit can be configured to display the data set that each user prefers.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #545
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
New Technology

Jerry -

There has been some new technology introduced into the consumer GPS units.

More advanced GPS receiver chips partially based upon finer line geometry, and the latest big breakthrough is newer receiver chips that also use GLONASS - the Russian GPS satellite array in addition to the US satellite constellation.

Minor technology updates in memory card storage and internal memory type and size.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #546
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
More advanced GPS receiver chips partially based upon finer line geometry, and the latest big breakthrough is newer receiver chips that also use GLONASS - the Russian GPS satellite array in addition to the US satellite constellation.

Minor technology updates in memory card storage and internal memory type and size.
Custom Application Specific Integrated Circuits were new technonogy 25-30 years ago. Finer lines have been happening for 45-50 years. Just making another new ASIC does not front page on Aviation Week.

Yes given a constraint of size and weight, as technology advances, more function can be packaged within that constraint. The question is; what great new performance features in commercial GPS have been possible because of new technology?

Does adding more satellites to the calculation really help the average user?

Like I said, Outdoor Touch Screens is a "New Technology" that made a big change, but are there others. I think the others were just micro steps in existing technology and barely detectable.

Specifically to this thread, was there any new technology that made the 62/78 possible over the 60/76 or was it just adding more memory and then making a bunch of desireable adn undesireable changes to code?
Old 12-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #547
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
well I just ordered the 62s from gpscity last night. Caught the boxing day sale, and ended up getting it for $150 off.

I ordered the GPS, a ram mount for the bike (medium length clamp, 3" between centers), and a 4gb mini sd card all for $280 taxes and shipping included.

Now we play the waiting game...

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #548
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
I'm trying to sort thru this thread as best I can after buying the 62s. Like a lot of others, I'm wondering about the usb port for off road use. WTF was garmin thinking! And why does the damn cord point up from the unit instead of down?

I know the 62s has been out long enough that the usb connection is generally known to be too weak for continued off road use, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried a more permanent connection? Sorry if this has been discussed previously....still trying to read thru the entire thread and all it's links.

I'm wondering if anyone has permanently attached the connection to the unit (?? glued, soldered, siliconed, jb welded??) with the cord pig-tailed and split with quick connects (or something similar) to allow you to remove from bike. The usb cable for computer hookup would also use quick connects to allow you to still connect to computer.

Dumb idea?

I hate to think I'm buying batteries for the rest of my 62s lifetime.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #549
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder View Post
Get some NiMH rechargeables. I have some 2700mAh AAs, a charge is usually good for a couple of days. There might even be higher capacity ones by now.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #550
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
I'm trying to sort thru this thread as best I can after buying the 62s. Like a lot of others, I'm wondering about the usb port for off road use. WTF was garmin thinking! And why does the damn cord point up from the unit instead of down?

I know the 62s has been out long enough that the usb connection is generally known to be too weak for continued off road use, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried a more permanent connection? Sorry if this has been discussed previously....still trying to read thru the entire thread and all it's links.

I'm wondering if anyone has permanently attached the connection to the unit (?? glued, soldered, siliconed, jb welded??) with the cord pig-tailed and split with quick connects (or something similar) to allow you to remove from bike. The usb cable for computer hookup would also use quick connects to allow you to still connect to computer.

Dumb idea?

This is as close to a solution as you'll find, Jeff: Garmin Nuvi USB Power Cable Demystified
Old 01-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #551
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Mike. That's kinda what I was thinking about only making something that would permanently fasten the usb connection to the unit. I'm guessing the usb connection fails after time from the vibs it takes while the unit is bouncing around off road. If the usb connection was fixed in place, there might be less chance of it weakening.
I already bought the hard wiring kit for motorbikes, so I guess I'll just use it and send the unit back (after every season) to gps city when it fails. lol Even the new cradle for the unit is not very user friendly. It kinda interferes with the buttons.

I guess Garmin never heard the saying, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', cause I sure like my 60cs a lot more for it's simplicity.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #552
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
I guess Garmin never heard the saying, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', cause I sure like my 60cs a lot more for it's simplicity.
If you want 60CS like simplicity, just switch to the "Classic" profile. It'll look and behave almost identically to a 60.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #553
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
If you want 60CS like simplicity, just switch to the "Classic" profile. It'll look and behave almost identically to a 60.
I never knew that
Old 01-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #554
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,864
Looks closer to a 60, but still has all the quirks of the new firmware.

At least the godawful "ribbon" goes away.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #555
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Looks closer to a 60, but still has all the quirks of the new firmware.

At least the godawful "ribbon" goes away.
more good news! I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of that little fucker.