ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #46
qxp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by John92
62s = Better antenna, works better vertically (how it would be mounted on bike)
Cons= RAM mount not yet available, Only USB power plug,

78 = RAM mount available, 4-pin power plug, No compass but still has card slot unlike the plain "62" (no S), I know the 78's float but it's not going to if hooked to my 275 lb bike,
Cons= Patch antenna, I've read it works better horizontally because of this, is this true? Would it become a factor mounted on a bike?

Is there anything I'm forgetting/not considering? I ride in primarily flat / wooded areas and just want to get what I want the first time around. Thanks.
I have a 78 (standard version). I use it for motorcycle offroad and mountainbike - mostly in the forrest. I actually have it mounted horizontally or slightly tilted so I can look down on the GPS (usually standup when I ride offroad) - also I prefer to have the unit mounted low so its not damaged when I crash. I have not experienced any accuracy issues and i'm very happy with the unit.

edit: the deciding factor for me was the powerplug
qxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #47
John92
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Your 78 standard version does have a micro sd slot right? The Garmin site says it does but I've read places that it doesn't.
John92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #48
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
62s = Better antenna, works better vertically (how it would be mounted on bike)
Cons= RAM mount not yet available, Only USB power plug,

78 = RAM mount available, 4-pin power plug, No compass but still has card slot unlike the plain "62" (no S), I know the 78's float but it's not going to if hooked to my 275 lb bike,
Cons= Patch antenna, I've read it works better horizontally because of this, is this true? Would it become a factor mounted on a bike?
I think most when mounted on a bike are closer to being horizontal then vertical and the antenna in the 78 may be canted slightly so that when held in the hand (similar angle as on bike) the antenna is facing straight up. If you have a chance go to a store that has both and do a side by side test for signal strength, I bet they are very close (I did this with the 60/76 once).

Virtually all GPS units can give a heading while moving but only units equipped with an electronic compass can indicate direction while stationary. Both the 62s and 78s have the electronic compass.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 02:06 PM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #49
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,885

The antenna in my GPS12 was at a 30 angle or so. Mounted on bike/sled, it was flat to the sky. Even with the old receiver it'd still hold a lock in teh trees/snow. (Have a lot more miles with that GPS on the snow than I did on teh bike.)
Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #50
qxp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Your 78 standard version does have a micro sd slot right? The Garmin site says it does but I've read places that it doesn't.
Yeah. Using a 4gb card.
qxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #51
John92
Adventurer

Well, I'll probably go with a 78 over a 62s since I'm not worried about the compass but I do want a MicroSD card slot. Any 62 owners out there feel there is anything significantly better with theirs?
Old 10-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #52
Migs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVic
I just wanted to throw in my ongoing experience with my two week old 62st. I started a trip last Tuesday with it mounted on my handlebars (using a lowrance mount and zip ties). Went through one rainstorm, a couple hours long though it didn't get very wet due to the windshield/wind. The next day I turned it on and it just hung up in the GARMIN loading profiles screen for about two hours. I finally noticed it had started working again and seemed to do ok the rest of the day. It fired up ok this morning, but I'm a little concerned that either the vibration or the water is doing some damage in there for that to happen on a new unit a week into a trip. I'm glad I bought the service plan.
My out of the box 62s hangs and sometimes just turns off all by itself! I contacted support and they were not their usual Garmin: After making me do a master rest and not resolving the problem they said I should return it to Amazon!
I wonder if the unit will be reliable enough given the updates, but now I have two reasons to be disappointed: Garmin tech support and the unit itself. Never happened to me with a Garmin.
Migs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #53
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule

The antenna in my GPS12 was at a 30 angle or so. Mounted on bike/sled, it was flat to the sky. Even with the old receiver it'd still hold a lock in teh trees/snow. (Have a lot more miles with that GPS on the snow than I did on teh bike.)
I only rememeber losing lock twice with either my e-map or map 76C. Once in a narrow canyon and once near fort Bragg in very dense Red Woods. It was never an issue with me just that 76Cx is better.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #54
John92
Adventurer

Well, now this doesn't have anything to do with a 78 or 62 anymore. I decided to go all out on an Oregon 550 because the thought of the waypoints & location saved photos started to grow on me. Sometimes I see a cool climb or something along the way & I figured that would be a killer way to remember where it was. I also printed out actual size pictures of each (550,62 & 78) & I didn't realize that the Oregon was much more compact while still having a slightly bigger screen. The "frills" of the whole package won me over. Oh well, Thanks for the advice anyways and back to the 62/78 info. They still look damn nice and if the Oregon doesn't work out, one of these will be my next pick.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #55
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
They still look damn nice and if the Oregon doesn't work out, one of these will be my next pick.
Must admit, now that my Oregon 550 is back I like it a lot more than the 62. The display is more than "just a little bigger" - it's bigger and higher resolution. Looking at the 62, then the Oregon - you're blown away at how much better the screen is on the Oregon.

I like my 62, but I love my Oregon!
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #56
John92
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
That's good to know. I'm hoping to love it as well.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #57
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
Must admit, now that my Oregon 550 is back I like it a lot more than the 62. The display is more than "just a little bigger" - it's bigger and higher resolution. Looking at the 62, then the Oregon - you're blown away at how much better the screen is on the Oregon.

Any word on what exactly fried it?
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #58
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Any word on what exactly fried it?
Certainly the damp power cable. If I have to ride in the rain, I'll run on batteries. If I'm navigating, I can leave the unit in Power Save mode and it'll wake itself up when it needs to.

The 62 really does have the edge in terms of screen visibility, but that's not enough to get me to give up the higher res screen.

And I missed the Oregon's camera a lot.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #59
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,458
At the end of the day I just couldn't tolerate the Oregons screen visibility. All the resolution in the world doesn't do me any good if I can't even see it. I gave up on it after a week. The touchscreens are great for UI but they just aren't visible enough in a lot of light conditions.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #60
John92
Adventurer

I'm in the cover of woods most of the time so I'm hoping with the backlight on I'll be OK with the Oregon. I may try to hardwire a power supply but I'm usually not out for super long so I should be OK just with batteries. If the screen is alot brighter plugged in, I may have to do so anyway.