ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #631
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
and saving the track to my computer is all I ever wanted to do....no one I ride with can receive a wireless sent track...
the 500 pt limit just gets talked about so much that some users of older 60/76 units may not realize the 500 pt limit does not apply in all situation....

There's only one situation where the 500 point limit doesn't apply - the Active Track.

it would be interesting to know how many do share tracks wirelessly...
I shared tracks at least a dozen times last year - when we lined up for group rides often some people hadn't got the email with the saved tracks so it was great that a number of us were able to share the files to others without having to resort to a computer to do so.

Another time I was riding in the lead and I knew the guy behind me wanted to go faster but he didn't have the track, but he did have a 62S, so my Montana sent him the file. It's awesome in those circumstances.

Or say you have to leave someone or something behind in the bush. You can create a waypoint or a geolocated picture, and send that quickly to anyone who needs to get back to that spot.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #632
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
I know a few people with the 20@500 track limit GPS's and they're pretty useless.
I know a few pretty useless people also but they were born that way so what can you do. In the case of pretty, useless women, who cares if they are pretty enough?

Somewhat over 50% of the GPS users at California Dual Sport rides still use the venerable 60/76 and find them very useful. I do put on one 3-day ride with many options each day so the 20 track limit meant people had to come back after first day to get next two days. On last ride, one guy had Montera and it took him and his friend hundreds of trys to find the tracks in the file I gave him but they found them and had a good ride.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #633
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I shared tracks at least a dozen times last year - when we lined up for group rides often some people hadn't got the email with the saved tracks so it was great that a number of us were able to share the files to others without having to resort to a computer to do so.

Another time I was riding in the lead and I knew the guy behind me wanted to go faster but he didn't have the track, but he did have a 62S, so my Montana sent him the file. It's awesome in those circumstances.

Or say you have to leave someone or something behind in the bush. You can create a waypoint or a geolocated picture, and send that quickly to anyone who needs to get back to that spot.

most people I ride with don't even have a gps....that's why they follow me.....
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #634
g.mccormick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
78S it is

Well, I've finally decided to get the 78S. I'm going to also get CityNavigator for it as it seems CN is the most useful for 99.999% of what I will be doing. Thanks for all of the input.

Does anyone know of a better deal than this??

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GP...FQ_l7AodHXIAgw
g.mccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #635
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.mccormick View Post
Well, I've finally decided to get the 78S. I'm going to also get CityNavigator for it as it seems CN is the most useful for 99.999% of what I will be doing. Thanks for all of the input.

Does anyone know of a better deal than this??

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GP...FQ_l7AodHXIAgw
That's a pretty good deal but it's not the 78S, it's the basic 78.

This is the S model, and it doesn't come with the cable or marine mount. I would still go for the S model, personally. You might think the Wireless transfer and other features are useless to you, and you may be right, but I think it's worth the extra cost.

Here's a comparison of the 78S and 78.

The big differences are the Wireless transfer, faster USB connection, Barometric Altimeter and Electronic Compass.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #636
g.mccormick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That's a pretty good deal but it's not the 78S, it's the basic 78.

This is the S model, and it doesn't come with the cable or marine mount. I would still go for the S model, personally. You might think the Wireless transfer and other features are useless to you, and you may be right, but I think it's worth the extra cost.

I just noticed that it was 78 not S model. Hmm. Cabela's has the 62S for $199. Now more to think about, is the 78S woth $70 more that 62S?
g.mccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #637
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Is the 78S woth $70 more that 62S?
To me, it is.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #638
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,347
Quote:
I just noticed that it was 78 not S model. Hmm. Cabela's has the 62S for $199. Now more to think about, is the 78S woth $70 more that 62S?
4 or 5 yrs from now when you have thousands of miles on the 78s and no issues with the power cable you will say yes it was worth it....
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #639
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
4 or 5 yrs from now when you have thousands of miles on the 78s and no issues with the power cable you will say yes it was worth it....
And have long forgotten the extra $70.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #640
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
the 20@500 will go up to 10,000 on the active log track and if you download before saving you will get the whole track with all the points. The track is reduced to 500 only when you save it....
That's a trick my friend uses. Unfortunately he needs to constantly reload a fresh "active log track". And it slowly disappears as the day progresses.
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #641
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I know a few pretty useless people also but they were born that way so what can you do. In the case of pretty, useless women, who cares if they are pretty enough?

Too funny, although I was refering to the GPS's, I think...
Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #642
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Depends how you use it. I have the 62S and love it. But my dirt bike doesn't have DC power so I'm not concerned with it not having a rugged power connection.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #643
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Garmin deal

I'm the one who posted the deal about the Garmin 78 above.

When I got it it was actually the inland lake bundle - came with GPS unit, Garmin marine mount, USB cable, Garmin cigarette lighter cable, and inland lake micro SD card.

When I added it to my registered products at Garmin it said it was a 78sc.

Since I don't know how to tell the difference from a regular 78, I don't really know if it's actually an SC....
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #644
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Does it have the wireless sharing option? Electronic compass? If so it's the S. The C is the coastal map. There are some other differences between the 78 vs 78S as well, can't recall them right at this moment.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #645
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Does it have the wireless sharing option? Electronic compass? If so it's the S. The C is the coastal map. There are some other differences between the 78 vs 78S as well, can't recall them right at this moment.
Also the S is very small on the front of the gps, beside the 78. In fact I think the Pawn Shop that sold me mine must have thought it was a basic 78.