ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #91
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Got my hands on first 78 (assume 62 works the same) this weekend and have some quesitons:

1) We could not find menu to set response to loss of external power?

2) When I downloaded 10 tracks with all colors set and on/off status of each set, it changed the settings to some default preference. Another case of Garmin is much smarter than the user?

3) Could not find the "setup" for on/off recording Active Log on data card.

Number 2 is a show stopper for me and I hope my customers. Most of them are not capable of fixing all the tracks after I download them to their 78 after it screws them up.

Countdown screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 09:24 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #92
bike_pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
78s on the way!

Well, my last gps was a Garmin Rino 530 that was sacraficed to the forest god's last weekend. I purchased it without reading up and found it useful although the 2-way radio was garbage and the joy stick was sucky with a gloved hand. I used it around 3 or 4 years and it started to feel the woe's of vibration (weather radio would switch on by itself & calcs were freaking out). Then my Husky decided I needed a new unit so it politley ejected it from its ram mount while I wasn't looking. I had my mind made up a couple years ago that I would follow Mark Sampson's 'never be without a 276c rule'. Of course now that Garmin discont'd those I haven't been able to find one and it turns out that my rewards card had more than enough points to pick up a 78s with a power cable. Looks like all my routing and tracking fits into what you all say it's capable of. It's leaps and bounds past the Rino anyway!

So now for the questions.
1. Will the Ram mount (RAM-HOL-GA40U) allow the power cable to be plugged in? If not I may have to go with Stovebolts clamshell (take that Husky).

2. I chose the cig lighter power cable since the power/data cable was not available to reward points members. Wondering if the data side of the later has any usability in the dualsport world?

"I suppose that's the great romantic lure of the motorcycle; it's a key to adventure" - Steve McQueen
bike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #93
TAPnTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Got my hands on first 78 (assume 62 works the same) this weekend and have some quesitons:

2) When I downloaded 10 tracks with all colors set and on/off status of each set, it changed the settings to some default preference. Another case of Garmin is much smarter than the user?

Number 2 is a show stopper for me and I hope my customers. Most of them are not capable of fixing all the tracks after I download them to their 78 after it screws them up.

Welcome to Garmin, How may we help you .....

Todd

09 Kawasaki Versys
TAPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #94
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_pilot
So now for the questions.
1. Will the Ram mount (RAM-HOL-GA40U) allow the power cable to be plugged in? If not I may have to go with Stovebolts clamshell (take that Husky).

2. I chose the cig lighter power cable since the power/data cable was not available to reward points members. Wondering if the data side of the later has any usability in the dualsport world?
As to #1 you are the first on the block but I would hope so, their 76 mount did.

and

#2 Not really, used to interface with other equipment like radar, depth sounders and computers. I hope you got the big heavy duty connector. I think the cig lighter ones use heaver gage wires.

Be sure a post up when you get it up and running!

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 11-11-2010 at 10:03 PM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #95
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown

Come on there are several of these out there. Doesn't anyone have any answers?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #96
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut
#2 Not really, used to interface with other equipment like radar, depth sounders and computers. I hope you got the big heavy duty connector. I think the cig lighter ones use heaver gage wires, but I would snip off the cig lighter, add a fuse and eye terminals or plug for a more robust setup.
Noooooo! Don't snip off the cig lighter! It's got the voltage reduction circuitry in it.

The Power/Data cable has the circuitry built in too, but it's much closer to the actual gps so you can shorten the cable a lot, and retain the right voltage.

And just because it has data, doesn't mean you have to use those wires. I made up three power data cables connected to the battery with a fuse in line, and just clipped the data wires short as I had no plans to use them.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #97
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
Noooooo! Don't snip off the cig lighter! It's got the voltage reduction circuitry in it. .
I think he bought a 78 which I think has been accurately reported to run on Auto 12V power.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #98
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
Noooooo! Don't snip off the cig lighter! It's got the voltage reduction circuitry in it.
He is getting a 78S so I would assume that it can take 12v direct if using the round 4-pin Garmin connector for power, NOT the mini USB. Not sure though.

If you look at the "accessories" listed for the 78S there's 2 different "vehicle power cables" shown, one is the round plug and the other is mini USB.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #99
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
If you look at the "accessories" listed for the 78S there's 2 different "vehicle power cables" shown, one is the round plug and the other is mini USB.
Obvioiusly it is for people who go either way!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #100
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
He is getting a 78S so I would assume that it can take 12v direct if using the round 4-pin Garmin connector for power, NOT the mini USB. Not sure though.

I forgot the 78 still has that power option. Thanks for the clarification.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #101
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

My Bad.

You guys are right I assumed the big plug cable. Good catch, I will edit my post.

Do not cut off the cig lighter if mini USB!

Bruce
Old 11-12-2010, 01:53 AM   #102
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
KMZ maps

ls the 62 supposed to be able to read KMZ background maps like the Oregon and Dakota? I am wondering as the unit has a "custom maps" folder. However, when I drop a file in, the unit doesnt seem to recognise it.
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #103
bike_pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut
You guys are right I assumed the big plug cable. Good catch, I will edit my post.

Do not cut off the cig lighter if mini USB!

Bruce
No USB! Wasn't planning on it. I did get the automotive power with the 4 pin. That was a major decision point for me in model choice. With the Rino it used usb and I modified the cig plug for its circuitry sake. I'm looking forward to a solid power connection.

"I suppose that's the great romantic lure of the motorcycle; it's a key to adventure" - Steve McQueen
bike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #104
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

With my oversight I'm now a little concerned about safe voltages. I would do some research, maybe call Garmin before connecting.

In the old unit the big round 4 pin was good for a wide voltage range but things could have changed.

Bruce
Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #105
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,332
It'd be a bad move on their part to change the spec on that plug without changing the connector itself.

Think back to the "low-voltage" models with the safety pin in the middle of the round connector, vs. the current flavor that doesn't have the pin in the middle.