lg
Lobster Grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #47
Lobster Grrl OP
Ground feeder

Oddometer: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88
Great ride report! I'm glad to hear you pulled through that hairy corner. I'm looking forward to hearing how the hour lost at wally world played out in the end.
Next segment coming soon.
Thanks for riding along

lg
Old 09-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #48
Lobster Grrl OP
Ground feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by c munch
Great report and it was nice of you to introduce us to your aunt, she seems to be a very special woman.

Thanks for sharing and remember, keep your eyes where you want to go and all will be good..
Thanks! You couldn't ask for a for a better Aunt
Yep, sound advice there C Munch. I haven't gotten to the Appalachian Gap yet....

lg
Old 09-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #49
LisaS
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Great report LG!
Glad you survived your close encounter with the guardrail! I never did get around to a track day this year- definitely need to do one next year!
Also we'll need to get back to plannin' for our grrl's adventure weekend over the winter.....

Looking forward to the rest of your report!
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #50
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,883
Did you happen to stop and audition at the little place where you took the 879/144 picture?

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #51
Lobster Grrl OP
Ground feeder

I throttled down a bit and made it through all the twisty bits of route 144 without any further scares I was glad because I really needed a confidence builder after the scary corner. Interestingly, I spoke to Chromer afterwards and he had the same problem with the scary corner. Funny how we both misjudged exactly the same. Maybe it was the downhill grade entering the corner that threw us both off

We stopped for a break at a scenic turnout.
The rolling hills of PA

We decided to try and make up some of the time we lost at WalMart by skirting around the cities. Chromer found a network of dirt roads around Elmira so we turned on and kept riding. I spend a fair amount of time on dirt where I live, but it's on a KLX250 with less weight and knobby tires. We turned on to one road and boy did it get steep The road had big washouts from the recent rain. I stood up and kept a steady hand on the throttle. I was really wishing I had knobby tires on Bella.... and a few less pounds in those panniers. I finally made it to the top of the hill and breathed a sigh of relief. Just around the bend though was a steeper hill with huge washouts and big rocks! I stood up on the pegs gave it a bit more gas for momentum and kept going. I make it to the top upright. Hallelujah! Essentially we avoided all the city traffic and stop lights, but didn't gain any lost time back.

We crossed into NY and stopped for lunch. Aunt Kathryn's ham and cheese sandwich and a hot coffee tasted great. The temperature had warmed up a few degrees to 63. I still wasn't ready to shed any layers.

I just twisted the throttle after lunch. The further north we went the worse the weather looked. The clouds were rolling in, the wind was picking up and it felt like rain was inevitable.

We stopped for gas in NY and three deer walked across the street to the petrol station and started eating grass. I guess the grass really is greener on the other side

500 miles is a long day. I kept looking at my GPS to see how many miles were left. That doesn't help them go by any quicker

The temperature dropped back into the 40's and soon it was dark. I wanted to be in Lake Placid by now but we still had close to 100 miles to go. Seeing those deer at the gas station made me wonder if any more would be hanging out on the side of the road...

Ten minutes later the sky opened up. It was cold, dark, and now raining. We had 85 miles left to Lake Placid. I pulled over and put my rain coat on over the mesh coat and changed into waterproof gloves. Heated hand grips on high. I couldn't help but think that if we hadn't stopped at WalMart we'd be just about to the hotel.

Should of
Could of
Would of

Arrrgh. Sometimes you just have to deal with what's in front of you and move on. And so I did.

Riding in the rain is one thing. Riding in the dark is another thing. Riding in the dark when it's raining really stinks. Someone needs to develop a face shield with a built in wiper blade and some sort of internal fan to keep the darn thing from fogging up. So I cracked the visor and kept wiping my face shield with my glove so I could see between the rain drops. This worked OK until an oncoming car came along and then I couldn't see anything The new pavement was dark black and the headlights just got sucked up by it. I felt like I was riding by Braille most of the time. I was moving at a snails pace.

I pulled over to let a pick-up truck go by because I really felt like I was holding him back, and I didn't want him tailing me too close. He must've been a rider and could tell I was having a tough time. He pulled in front and virtually led the way. He drove pretty slow, had much better head lights, and flashed his brakes a few times as we were approaching corners. What a sigh of relief. The next 60 miles went much better

With 20 miles left to go the rain stopped. The pick up truck driver turned off. I waved thanks to him and he waved back.

I rolled into the Comfort Inn at 9pm. The big decision was dinner or hot tub. The hot tub won hands down My left knee and leg ached from shifting gears and both hands were painfully sore. I don't think I could have pulled that clutch in one more time.

The hot tub stayed open until 10 and I was going to take advantage of every minute It felt wonderful

Next on the list, Advil 800mg and a beer. I consulted the blackberry and found the local pizza listings. Chromer put an order in for a large pepperoni and 2liters of diet Pepsi. Mr Mikes came though and delivered it right to the room

20 minutes later I was sleeping like a baby.

What a day.

lg

Lobster Grrl screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 08:58 AM
Old 09-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #52
Lobster Grrl OP
Ground feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootac
Did you happen to stop and audition at the little place where you took the 879/144 picture?
Uhhhhhhhh, no

Thanks for the road advice
If you're ever up this way drop me a PM, I would love to return the favor.

lg
Old 09-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #53
Lobster Grrl OP
Ground feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS
Great report LG!
Glad you survived your close encounter with the guardrail! I never did get around to a track day this year- definitely need to do one next year!
Also we'll need to get back to plannin' for our grrl's adventure weekend over the winter.....

Looking forward to the rest of your report!
Track day is well worth the money I'm planning to go again next year

Thanks for tagging along!

lg
Old 09-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #54
schmidtle
Smitty

Oddometer: 71

"Give me a woman who loves beer, and I'll conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

Old 09-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #55
Lobster Grrl OP
Ground feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtle

"Give me a woman who loves beer, and I'll conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

Give me enough beer and I'll think I can conquer the world

Thanks for riding along!

lg
Old 09-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #56
Vt-Stromer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Nice report, Reminds me of my trip to Byob.

Vt-Stromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #57
Lobster Grrl OP
Ground feeder

Looks like a UBU Vt-Stromer
Food looks good too.

Thanks for checking in!

lg
Old 09-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #58
Lobster Grrl OP
Ground feeder

The next morning I woke up and felt dead. Every part of my body ached. I stood up and felt off balance
Then it dawned on me, I was dehydrated. I looked at my camelbak from yesterday and it was still full. My entire fluid consumption had consisted of a half cup of coffee, half a beer and 3 sips of diet Pepsi How did I let that happen? Cold temps and all, I had to do better than that today.

I drank a liter of water in the room and took another dose of Advil. I knew I'd feel better in an hour.

We went down to breakfast and I spied the Belgian waffle maker The guy who invented those should be nominated for an award. I made one for Chromer, one for me, and one for the elderly guy behind me. I drank more water, juice and a limited amount of coffee (the Comfort Inn has lousy coffee anyway).

We loaded the gear and checked out. I decided to cruise through main street so I could see Lake Placid in the daylight.

Here's the Olympic Center

We headed towards Essex. The scenery was lovely, we were surrounded by the Adirondacks.

After riding behind a slow van for what seemed forever, through a bunch of twisty bits, we finally had a chance to pass. Chromer pulled out and I followed. Just then a good sized deer ran into our lane. We both just missed it by inches I'm thankful it was just one deer, had there been more things might not have turned out so well.

We made it to Essex to catch the ferry across Lake Champlain with 10 minutes to spare. I got off the bike to stretch and noticed Bella was leaking antifreeze Oh no!

The temperature gauge was still reading normal, so that was good. We decided once we got on the ferry we'd dig the tools out and have a closer look.

lg
Old 09-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #59
06Klr650
RidingCountry.com

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster Grrl

The temperature gauge was still reading normal, so that was good. We decided once we got on the ferry we'd dig the tools out and have a closer look.

lg
That's never a good sign
RidingCountry.com
06Klr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #60
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,982
Do you write soap operas in your spare time? The cliff hangers! What happens next?

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote