User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
zwild OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
2 Days in S/E Ohio

I live in southeast Mi and rides here can be boring to say the least, so my quest for quality roads and sense of adventure takes me elsewhere.

That will most likely take me to northern MI or if I'm lucky a trip a year to deals gap, but not this time. I have heard of the Hocking Hills Oh area for quite some time but never made the trip. All I can say is if you're close (within a 4 hours, or so) MAKE THE TRIP. You will NOT be disappointed.

Now I have made plenty of solo trips in my life and these are fine and good for the soul but, it sure is nice to share it with someone. I have very few friends that ride and even fewer I feel comfortable riding with, enter Mike and his stupidly fast Bking. I recently sold my 06 FZ1 and purchased a 2010 thruxton, so I was looking forward to this overnighter on my new pride and joy.

With heavily loaded tankbags we leave early Sat morn, southbound. The morning is crisp and cool as we take on the boring I75 to propel us to our destination. Leaving the Eway in Findlay OH we are south on 23, picking up I70 a short distance to S 60 and east on 78, this is where the fun begins. I have heard of SR 536 as being a must ride, so we are hell bent on finding it. It's a great road and we are not disappointed, 11 miles and a crap ton of curves. We end up at the Oh river looking at Wva, stopping at the locks and mapping out our next route. This is where we feel God himself shined on us and guided us to the best collection of roads either of us have ever been on. Shortly heading south on 7 we find a connector rd to SR26, ARCHERS FORK rd.......OMG! a motorcyclists dream, no traffic, NONE, no driveways, perfect road surface, even the few leaves that danced across the roadway, parted as we rounded our tires.

Now here's the thing, there are so many roads to choose from at this point, you almost feel guilty if you miss one. That feeling fades as you come to understand that you can't make a bad choice. I'm telling you every road got better with us stopping and shaking our heads, high fiving each other and wondering if we should turn around and do it again. We don't and instead push on and explore the new and better road (how is that possible) in front of us. At one point I broke out in laughter in my helmet as my stomach had butterflies from the rollercoaster hills and the decreasing radius curves, as we took in the lovely OH countryside.

To sum it up, we did about a thousand miles total, 400 plus of quality roads, I will be back.......soon and often.

Stay thirsty my friends.
Attached Images

zwild screwed with this post 11-17-2010 at 12:10 PM
zwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
zwild OP
Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
zwild OP
Adventurer

more
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
zwild OP
Adventurer

lots of covered bridges
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
zwild OP
Adventurer

perfect day
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
zwild OP
Adventurer

My fav
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
zwild OP
Adventurer

Kinda artsy
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 292
Thumb wow.

nice sweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwild
My fav
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
zwild OP
Adventurer

a vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yanmd9Bwe2A
Old 09-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 454
Looks interesting ................how far out of MI until your off the highway and enjoying the backroads.....??????
Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011 2014
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,243
In another life, I lived in Shelby Township and I weep for you and trying to find anything that is remotely interesting on 2 wheels.

Another area that is really good (blew me away) that is in the general vicinity of where you were is pretty much directly south of Columbus right around the KY, OH border. I can't remember the specific road, but I remember when driving from Columbus to Lexington for a wedding a number of years ago, I was amazed at a road we accidentally found that kind of was on par with a few of the good ones at home in the Bay Area (I'm originally from Columbus and my undergrad was in Lexington)

Either way, cool pics.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #12
zwild OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgino157
Looks interesting ................how far out of MI until your off the highway and enjoying the backroads.....??????
The quickest way is picking up 250 from the turnpike south of Sandusky. take that to Wooster OH where you find SR 83 south. This is where the fun begins and that's a little over 2 hours from you. At this point the roads won't blow you away but it just keeps gettin better from here.
Attached Images