User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Rosie! OP
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 442
Wicked Cold Kiwi Rally 2010

This report is a bit of a team effort. Clintnz and I took the photos, I edited them, he wrote the ride report, and now I'm posting it up
So you'll have to imagine me typing this in a deep manly voice...

Rosie was a rally virgin & hadn’t considered it. Kiwipeet started getting excited about this one 11 months ago. I hadn’t really paid much notice, but a couple of weeks out it looked like we had that weekend free & quite a few of our mates were going so I decided it was time Rosie popped her rally cherry. She somewhat hesitantly concurred.
Of course at the merest hint of a dodgy forecast a week out, Peet piked. ‘Oh but there might be snow…’ Well it’s not called the Warm Kiwi, nor the Tropical Kiwi, no. This is the North Island’s most hardcore motorcycle rally. The 36th annual Cold Kiwi, held at 800m altitude in the shadow of the snow covered central North Island volcanoes. We of course, are made of much sterner & stupider stuff than Peet, so we cranked up our hot grips & set off into the teeth of a wild cold front last Friday on our way south.
Bizarrely we managed to dodge all the squally downpours for the first 150km, but the last 40km into Waiouru saw rain, then sleet, then snow at the Desert Road summit. We fuelled up in Waiouru then trucked on to the rally site.
At the rally site the precipitation had eased so we set up our tent. We had got a bit lucky a few days ago when Eddieb sent me a message, his crew had organized meals for the weekend but a couple of people had dropped out, would we like to be fed at the rally for a few bucks koha? Hell Yes! So after we had set up camp a plate of delicious hot stew was thrust into our hands. Then the snow started falling.

We weren’t at all worried, with bellies full of stew & rum & green ginger wine on hand, cold & snow were not a problem!

The cold front passed & the morning dawned bright, clear & still, with only a few tents collapsed by the 3-4” of snow. Rosie had sewed us up a couple of polarfleece sleeping bag liners a while back so we were toasty as despite the chill.

Roger & Liz cooked us up a great breakfast & then we started thinking about a ride for the day, first we had to clear the snow off the bikes.

We decided to head south on Turakina Valley Road, just down the highway from the rally site.

This was a very neat ride down a nearly deserted, mainly gravel road through the hill country farms. Eventually we turned West to start the loop back to the rally on Mangamahu Rd.

The plan was to cross out to the twisty hwy 4 over the Parapara range for some twisty tarseal action on the way back, but Te Rimu road on the map that we planned to take was plastered with ‘private property – no access’ signs & looked like a farm driveway so we continued up the Whangaehu Valley Rd.

At the end of that we cut out to hwy 4 then on through Raetihi to Ohakune for a late lunch. Oscar flagged us down as we rode out & we had a yarn about the days riding then cruised on back to the rally site for more socializing.
The next morning dawned pretty good too:

But with stuff to do we took the boring way home via hwy 1 & hwy 5.

Switching back to higher-pitched girly-sounding typing: It was a really good weekend, and I enjoyed my first motorbike rally. Riding in the snow and wind on the way down was a bit scary in places, but it didn't last too long.
The snow on Saturday morning was so pretty and it wasn't as cold as I expected.
This was the first long road ride I'd done on the WR, and it did really well, although I think it could do with a bit of a windscreen.

Rosie! screwed with this post 09-07-2010 at 04:42 PM
Rosie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Belle Sinclair
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Hey well done on the ride! Great pics and write up too!

I hate snow. There is nothing good about it - except maybe for the first half and hour and only then if the sun is out and it looks nice. Then its nasty.

Belle
Belle Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,673
great report Clint/Rosie

looks like Friday was quite memorable.
I got as far as Taihape on Saturday before I decided Napier was likely to be warmer than Waiouru.

Magic weekend for a ride (except for the gale force winds in the 'Rapa on Sunday)

Hopefully will catch up with you guys on the Naki ride.

cheers

Mark
Old 09-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Russ

Oddometer: 15,717
Great RR
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Rosie! OP
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S
... looks like Friday was quite memorable...
Yeah, it would have been memorable, if we hadn't drunk so much rum
Old 09-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
shrek lone rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
hey well done Rosie great write up & pic's, we were in Ohakune having a late lunch when you guys rode in & as I was traveling with two road bikes there was no off road for me may catch you guys next year at the Cold Duck
Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #9
kiwipeet