User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2004, 01:11 PM   #1
Nom de Guerre OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
640 Adventure Oil Capacity

I was wondering what the '04/'05 640 Adventure's oil capacity is. Someone I spoke with the other day said it was a very small reservoir with something like 1 - 2 Qt. capacity. He was saying that it was because the bikes are based on relatively hard core off road racing models, and that oil change is required quite frequently compared to say an F-650 GS.

Can anyone shed light on this question? It seems strange to me, and unlikely that the oil capacity is so small.

Thanks in advance!
Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:14 PM   #2
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPilot
I was wondering what the '04/'05 640 Adventure's oil capacity is. Someone I spoke with the other day said it was a very small reservoir with something like 1 - 2 Qt. capacity. He was saying that it was because the bikes are based on relatively hard core off road racing models, and that oil change is required quite frequently compared to say an F-650 GS.

Can anyone shed light on this question? It seems strange to me, and unlikely that the oil capacity is so small.

Thanks in advance!
I have no clue what the oil change interval is for an F650, but a 640 Adventure holds 2.1 litres and it's change interval is 3,000 miles....

CC

p.s. it has two oil filters, as well...
p.s.s.....I just Googled the F650 and it apparently holds 2 litres...go figure on its 6,000 mile oil change interval (sounds marketing driven, not technical).

ChrisC screwed with this post 12-07-2004 at 01:19 PM
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:44 PM   #3
Nom de Guerre OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wow,

Thanks, Chris, for such a blazingly fast answer! A quick search on BMW's site shows the F650 GS has 2.4 qt oil capacity, and the 640 Adventure has 2.2 qt (2.1 liters = 2.2 qt approx), so they're pretty much the same.

I think I was mislead a wee bit by that other fella

The info I was originally given came from someone who is selling an F650 that I'm considering, and when I told him I was considering a 640 ADV, he mentioned that I should beware of that model needing extremely frequent oil changes (implying more frequent than the Beemer), due to it's racing lineage. Perhaps there are other LC4 models that require extremely frequent changes, or maybe it's just that if one rides off-road a lot, more frequent oil changes are recommended.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:45 PM   #4
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
What he describes, sounds much more like a RFS KTM (EXC/MX/SX) the 640 is certainly good for 3k miles between synthetic oil changes. Now, you might not want to know what an LC4 oil change entails....... LOL (Not that bad once you figure out how NOT to spray the garage wall with oil.)
Old 12-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
Nom de Guerre OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you too, Mack! I love the looks of the 640 ADV, and look forward to test riding one in the Spring (assuming they do bring 'em back into the States). I am drawn to 'em over a Beemer (as much as I like Beemers - used to own a '92 R100R) for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the reportedly better off-road mannerisms (lighter too).

I also really like the seats that James "Boejangles" makes for them.

In the meantime, I'm dreaming about the 640 & the 950!
Old 12-07-2004, 04:37 PM   #6
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
What he describes, sounds much more like a RFS KTM (EXC/MX/SX) the 640 is certainly good for 3k miles between synthetic oil changes. Now, you might not want to know what an LC4 oil change entails....... LOL (Not that bad once you figure out how NOT to spray the garage wall with oil.)
What's that Mack, you forgot to put the dip-stick back. I have never done that My wife did hear me yell and came into the garage to find oil over everything. It's one way to clean the bike up!

ps- don't look down at the missing dip-stick when starting! (don't ask)
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:35 PM   #7
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
No, not the dipstick, the dry sump bleed/fill hole, (someone told me I could bleed it at Idle) and the once I left off the breather hose, after carb work!
Old 12-07-2004, 06:48 PM   #8
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Now, you might not want to know what an LC4 oil change entails....... LOL
Seven minutes... honest.

OK OK OK... 13 minutes.

Alright.... a bit longer.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:08 PM   #9
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Seven minutes... honest.
OK OK OK... 13 minutes.
Alright.... a bit longer.
My time is coming creeper - almost time to put your oil change specs to the test of a nOOb oil changer...

Predictions?

Ok, now Mack et al, you shouldn't stop at oil since this fella is comparing the KTM to the (snicker) BMW...

Race bred you say? Yes, but reliable as taxes. Just a well proven, ironed out machine. One of the bikes of choice for those who go to the ends of the earth and count on not breaking down in Timbuktu. Also good for us weekend warriors who explore every nook and cranny of our regions.

You are getting alot for the money. Top shelf components: you are about a grand away from a race ready suspension, a couple of grand away from a race ready engine (carb/exhaust system)... etc.

That nonsense aside, for us mere mortals the 640 Adv is PUH-LENTY of machine with just some relatively cheap mods (exhaust can, airbox, carb tuning cost me about $200 because of the bang up crew here to help you along! )

I hear that the BMW is not so ready (was that put well?).

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:31 PM   #10
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
The racing 4-stroke takes 1.5 quarts and is more complicated to change oil on than the 640. The RFS has 2 filters and 2 mesh screens. The oil takes a beating. When I am dual-sporting on my RFS (450 EXC) I get away with 500+ miles between changing oil. When racing, after every race.
The 640 LC4 is easier to change the oil on. The plug under the external filter can spew oil around if you are not quick with removal. Wiggling the internal filter's cover back on is about the hardest thing to do, and that is not much if you watch how it comes off. I do not run the 640 over 1,500 miles without a change, and usually I do it at 1,000 miles. The oil is worked hard and the molecular chains do not maintain their strength much after 1,500 miles. You can verify this by having your oil tested. (The test will also give you metallic content telling you how things are wearing, or not wearing so well.)
Oil gets contaminated & carries abrasive particles from normal wear and from environmental intake. The old oil 1) corrodes surfaces, 2) embeds particles in softer materials (such as bearing surfaces) and 3) abraids every surface, but especially pistons. Don't wait until 3,000 miles. Change it more often.
Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:13 PM   #11
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Interestin' Stu,

so you have had your oil tested on your 640? Where did you do that? How much does that cost? What did the test say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
The racing 4-stroke takes 1.5 quarts and is more complicated to change oil on than the 640. The RFS has 2 filters and 2 mesh screens. The oil takes a beating. When I am dual-sporting on my RFS (450 EXC) I get away with 500+ miles between changing oil. When racing, after every race.
The 640 LC4 is easier to change the oil on. The plug under the external filter can spew oil around if you are not quick with removal. Wiggling the internal filter's cover back on is about the hardest thing to do, and that is not much if you watch how it comes off. I do not run the 640 over 1,500 miles without a change, and usually I do it at 1,000 miles. The oil is worked hard and the molecular chains do not maintain their strength much after 1,500 miles. You can verify this by having your oil tested. (The test will also give you metallic content telling you how things are wearing, or not wearing so well.)
Oil gets contaminated & carries abrasive particles from normal wear and from environmental intake. The old oil 1) corrodes surfaces, 2) embeds particles in softer materials (such as bearing surfaces) and 3) abraids every surface, but especially pistons. Don't wait until 3,000 miles. Change it more often.
Stu

Old 12-07-2004, 09:25 PM   #12
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Interestin' Stu,

so you have had your oil tested on your 640? Where did you do that? How much does that cost? What did the test say?

I use the kit from AV Lubricants to test the oil in my Diesel truck. They sell motorcycle products, so maybe you can give them a call & see if they include motorcycle testing with their oil analysis kit. It's just a sample bottle, mailer package, & form you fill out indicating vehicle make, model, year, milage, etc... so I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Twitter: @adventurephotog
Instagram: @adventurephotog
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:54 PM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inte
I use the kit from AV Lubricants to test the oil in my Diesel truck. They sell motorcycle products, so maybe you can give them a call & see if they include motorcycle testing with their oil analysis kit. It's just a sample bottle, mailer package, & form you fill out indicating vehicle make, model, year, milage, etc... so I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Expensive?

Old 12-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #14
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Interestin' Stu,

The basic test for metal content used to cost me about $30 here in Kansas. It may be more where you are. The test I had was basically the one done for trucks (gas or diesel). I wanted to know what was in the oil that might indicate trouble (disintegrating bearings, etc.) The 640 was so tough nothing ever showed up. The tester finally said, "Quit spending money on that thing testing the oil." You can have everything tested, however, from pour point, ash content, flash point, etc., so you know the quality of the oil before and after use. It is a matter of what you want to spend or what you want to know. Any big oil distributor can usually run tests for you.
Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:41 AM   #15
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
The basic test for metal content used to cost me about $30 here in Kansas. It may be more where you are. The test I had was basically the one done for trucks (gas or diesel). I wanted to know what was in the oil that might indicate trouble (disintegrating bearings, etc.) The 640 was so tough nothing ever showed up. The tester finally said, "Quit spending money on that thing testing the oil." You can have everything tested, however, from pour point, ash content, flash point, etc., so you know the quality of the oil before and after use. It is a matter of what you want to spend or what you want to know. Any big oil distributor can usually run tests for you.
Stu
So how did you know your oil was done before 3K?